Indoor Bootie Options

Guest DeniseL

Guest DeniseL

Hey everyone! So Miami had corns removed (lazer) on 2 feet and has been healing nicely, but is still pained to walk. We bought him thera-paws for the three paws with corns and he wears them on all his walks. The problem is inside the house. We have mainly hardwood with 2 large area rugs. Our kitchen is tile. Poor baby needs something on his feet inside, too. The thera paws have been rubbing his knuckles a bit. I don't think it is a real problem if he is just wearing them on his walks. However, I have been leaving them on almost all day so that he can feel comfortable inside and I think that it is too much. I know they are not designed to be worn for such long periods of time.

So I would love some suggestions for an indoor option. Our clinic that did the surgery sent him home with two nylon covered booties that look like they are more designed for snow, etc. They do not stay on his feet very well. I know thera paws make a slipper, but the cost has prevented me from ordering them ( although I certainly will if they are the best option). Does anyone have any suggestions for a comfortable indoor bootie that provides padding and can be worn for longer periods of time?

I have surrendered to the fact that we will be battling these EVIL corns long term so I just want to make our baby as comfortable as possible...he has had such a rough first couple of months with us. :(

Guest FullMetalFrank

Look for Pawz booties; they look like big balloons (and pretty much are, only shaped to fit over a dog's foot.) They can go over a baby sock, or a bandage, and offer some traction.

I think some of you missed the original poster's real query--she's not looking for traction; she's looking for padding!

If the dog is in that much pain after having his corns dealt with, I would suggest the vet didn't do a very good job getting them out. Have you been using anything on his paws to soften up the corn parts that remain? That might help.

I am very, very lucky that George doesn't have corns. The only boots I know of that help are the TheraPaws.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Therapaws makes a nice indoor bootie. http://www.therapaw.com/search.aspx?find=cushy+paws

They have a bottom that is nicely padded and also offers grip on slick floors. I got MoMo's from the GEM store at Sandy Paws so they may be on the GEM web site--Cushy Paws. Also the Therapaw site has them.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Guest DeniseL

Yes, I have considered getting a bigger area rug lol but it takes me so long to decide what I like....also I was hoping to find something a little less expensive lol...but at this point, what's the difference, I guess hehehe

I think I will invest in some therapaw slippers in the meantime :)

If the dog is in that much pain after having his corns dealt with, I would suggest the vet didn't do a very good job getting them out.

I'm thinking by laser she meant surgical removal, and not just hulling of the corns. In order to completely remove the corn a margin of healthy flesh surrounding the corn has to be removed. I know this from experience. Judging by his difficulty in walking the pain after corn removal was much worse than when he dealt with a broken toe. Definitely worth it though once it healed.

Guest DeniseL

Yes, he had laser removal. They were very aggressive, but it has been healing nicely. Originally, the holes in his pads were very large and he would put no weight on them at all. Two weeks later and the only hole left is the back paw, which was the deepest. He still won't put too much weight on it, but I do see improvment daily. The first week was the worst. changing the bandages and cleaning the wounds. He had to be carried outside to relieve himself. I pray that this works, I am not sure I would want to put him through it again. Seems to me like it would be better to amputate the toe (at least the back one). For the same recovery time, at least I would know that it darn thing wouldn't come back.

Ditto to toddler socks.

You can get fairly thick ones.

And they're Inexpensive enough you can have several pairs.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Not to mention, there is always the chance that, after amputation, a NEW corn will appear on one of the remaining toes. :( Jack has corns, too, and they are truly evil.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Guest DeniseL

He was on rimyadyl for the first week or so. The last few days he has been off of it, although I do have a few left. I have kinda been saving them for a very active day, maybe? Anyhoo, he is doing MUCH better. Im just thinking long term, even with these corns hulled and lasered, he still has one other that has not been touched (vet wanted to spare him one paw) so that will need a bootie and the others im sure will benefit from a softer surface than our hardwood. I asked the vet if she would suggest long term pain relief, tramadol?, etc? But she said it probably wouldn't be very effective. And, I assume the rimydyl is not a long term option, considering im pretty sure it is rough on liver and kidneys. Are corndogs ever put on pain meds long term?

Sorry DeniseL, I should have made sure the above link worked before posting it.

Here is the corrected link: http://www.steelcitygreyhounds.org/downloads/corn.pdf

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.
Forever Home on December 20, 2012
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
My Etsy Shop