Had A Scary Night And Need Advice While I Wait For Vet To Call

Guest got2now

Guest got2now

We were up all night w our 10 year old grey - she hadn't been feeling well since she came back from the grey boarding house last week, and my vet put all 3 on metrodizona- something and a dewormer. Our 10 year old has been  limping - she has a hyperextended carpus and usually wearing her brace on that foot makes it better, but not lately. So she woke us up at about 4am because she was flailing around and couldn't get up. She made it halfway across the room and has been there since. I think her back legs are paralyzed. She lost control  of her bowels, was salivating a lot and panting really fast, whimpering and after a couple of hours, she started to violently throw up. Then her front legs got really stiff. She alternates  between  whimpering,  breathing hard, and panicking. She just tried to get up for  the first time and couldn't, and it was like her neck got stuck n an upward position, but she's down now. Her legs get stiff and push against me involuntarily. I am afraid to move her. The vet is supposed to call me but it's taking forever

Is your vet a mobile vet? If not your going to have to move her eventually. Can you get her into there back of a car and you hold her to keep her calm whole someone drives you to the emergency vet?

Maybe she had a stroke? I have no idea. Just try to stay calm so you can keep her calm ((((hugs))))

------

Jessica

Guest greybookends

Unless your vet is coming to you, you are going to have to go to them. I would not wait for a call back. This is an emergency and I would get her to the car and to the vet. Even at a vets office emergencies come before appointments and she will go right in. Your vet cannot see this over the phone and will get to you when he has time. Do not wait.

How close are you to your vet's office? Could you take her over there, even before he calls, and admit her as an emergency? You're probably going to have to take her someplace, either your vet or Evet, so you might want to start getting her into the car.

Call your vet back and explain to the receptionist it's an emergency - you need help NOW.

Guest greybookends

I'm just afraid if it's a problem related to her spine that I'll hurt her by moving her

I understand but you are going to have to move her eventually. Can you get someone to help you so that you do not have to move her spine as much? To be honest it sounds more like a seizure to me or a reaction to the meds.

Sounds like a type of seizure.

I would be trying to get her mobil and into the vet ASAP --- don't think i could wait for a call back!

Even a blanket under her, gather the corners and hold tight to move into your car.

praying for you and her that you can get some help and into the vet right away!

:hope

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Sounds like a seizure, poor baby

can you put some towels under her front and back end and carry her that way?

:grouphug

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest kirstenbergren
:hope hoping that everything goes well for you guys. Keep us posted we're all worried about her. I would get her to the emergency vet ASAP!

Oh my! Get her to the vet immediately--her temperature could already be highly elevated as well. Sounds like a similar experience I had with my first grey. My vet is only 5 blocks away and I convinced them to come and get her, but I ended up having to take her to the emergency hospital from there after some initial treatment because they had no overnight surveillance capability and it was well past closing time. She was at the emergency hospital for 4 days and ended up having to be euthanized because there was no improvement whatsoever. She didn't even know me. Diagnosis after Xrays and MRI was a lesion on her brainstem (blood clot, cancer, or encephalytic cause) that caused the seizure. She was only 4-1/2 and I'd only had her for 16 months, so it was very traumatic and quite a shock. (I purchased pet insurance for my current grey because the bill was over $5,000.)

Twice we had emergencies with our large male greyhound where he couldn't walk. We carefully lifted him and slid him onto his dog bed, then carried him to the car on the bed. It was less jolting and more stable for his back and legs than picking him up and carrying him.

If you have someone to help you, this could work to get your dog in to see your vet or e-vet. I agree, it is an emergency and its best not to wait if possible.

Edited by Fiona3

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

I am sorry to read this. As others have said, she needs to get a vet as soon as possible. I hope you are able to get some assistance in moving her.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Hopefully you are on your way to the vet by now!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I am hoping you are already at the vet. When my Morgaine had her status seizure I had the same worry about how to move her. We slid her onto a very heavy blanket folded over several times and carried her to a friend's van and laid her on the floor of the van for the ride.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your girl.

Sending strength and prayers! This is so scary. I also hope you are at the vets now.

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)
Jimmy (Blu Too James 06/26/2014, Gotcha day 09/12/2015)
, a shepard mix named Tista, some cats, and some reptiles.

Guest got2now

Thanks for all the posts. I did get her right to the vet and just got home. They think she could have vestibular disease. They gave her fuids, sedation and anti-nasea meds, and they let me stay with her for an hour or so. She was asleep when I left. They said that they'll assume it's vd until it looks like it's not, so I guess we wait. The things that don't fit are that she lost control of her bowels and has not been feeling well.

My 11 year old galgo, Valor had a bout of vestibular disease. It came on very quickly and he was very sick for several days. My vet gave him an anti nausea med and valium to help him rest. He was so dizzy, he could not stand up, frequently had accidents and did not eat. I kept him in a crate to keep him safe. It slowly passed and he recovered. Good luck with your girl.

Linda, Keeva and Jack

Guest got2now

I am supposed to drive my daughter back to college tomorrow (15 hours), help her move in her apt, and return on Monday. I don't think I can leave the dog though. I have no idea what to do. Can't take her with me because I'm flying back.

Guest Scouts_mom

I have no suggesttions, just a virtual hug for you and your pup and a prayer that she gets better.

Where do you live? Maybe there is a GTer who could help. Or contact your greyhound group.

Edited by Scouts_mom

Guest BlueCrab

Sorry you're going through this. As Scout's Mom suggested, please post where you are located. GTers are a helpful lot and someone may be able to help you or suggest someone who can.

How frightening, for you and for her!

The not feeling well, then 3 meds, then this event (which sounded like a seizure to me) ... Maybe a drug reaction?

:unsure:

Can you leave her at the vets while you take your daughter to school? Do reach out for help! :bighug

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.