Missy Broke Her Tail...surgery?

No clue how it happened..she was laying on her bed and let out a major scream. Got up and walked away. then I saw the blood.

Anyway...I am a nervous wreck and not very smart.: i fed her before taking her to the vet..and they are saying it has to be amputated. Since she ate dinner it could not be done tonight . they did pre-op blood work tonight.

Missy is 13...has a very bad back. I am so scared about her getting anasethia . My vet is on vacation..it is a very grey saavy practice..but still...i am so worried.

She is taped up...in pain..i have to bring her back in the morning.

She did this many years ago..my vet at the time was able to set it and wrap it up. It seemed to heal fine. I thought we could try the same thing this time..especially considering her age..but vet said the break was bad and would not heal.

Has anyone been through this?

Thoughts on anasethia at 13 also appreciated.

thanks.

Guest goodtimekid

I hope the best for your dear girl. I don't have any experience in this area but I will be praying for you both... Please let us know how things go... xoxo

The vet who was speaking at MH said anesthesia wasn't more risky for seniors than it was for younger greys.

Here's hoping all goes well and Missy heals quickly.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

The vet who was speaking at MH said anesthesia wasn't more risky for seniors than it was for younger greys.

Agreed-age is not a disease. There's healthy 13 yr olds and unhealthy 2 yr olds. Good exam, blood work, +/- chest rads, EKG will determine anesthesia risk. To be totally honest-if it was my hound I would opt for the amp--it will heal much faster than trying to set the tail. Good thoughts sent your way.

Paul broke his tail right after we adopted him. We also did not have a clue. He did not have his tail amputated as it was a clean break; I saw it on the x-ray. It was quite swollen and painful, but he healed fine. Could you explain why your vet said it needed to be amputated? Is it a large wound?

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest greybookends

Agreed-age is not a disease. There's healthy 13 yr olds and unhealthy 2 yr olds. Good exam, blood work, +/- chest rads, EKG will determine anesthesia risk. To be totally honest-if it was my hound I would opt for the amp--it will heal much faster than trying to set the tail. Good thoughts sent your way.

Agreed. Tails are notoriously hard to heal. I would also go with the amp. Missy will never miss it. Many hounds have nubby tails.

not my usual vet..but same practice. she said it was a bad break and wouldn't heal right..there was less blood this time than the last time she broke it. I am really not comfortable with putting an old dog with a lot of health (pain) issues through surgery. she is wrapped up now., I am sure not splinted. was a little uncomfortable when she got home but seems happy now.. I will take her in in the morning and speak with the vet who will be operating..explain my concern and ask about splinting it for a while and see how she goes....

I've had two greys with amputated tails. Both healed fine. I was shocked though how much more they needed to remove in order to get a clean stitch. If you do opt for surgery, you can ask for extra fluids to be given to her during the procedure as well. Good luck whatever you decide; I agree it is very hard to figure what to do for an old dog. I would say whatever will cause her the least discomfort.

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

Absolutely speak freely with your vet and express your concerns. Did they give your baby some pain meds? Tramadol? NSAID?

She takes gabapentin and tramadol for LS/arthritis. no nsaids as she had a depo shot about one month ago. she gets adequan and acupuncture as well.

Henry had an accident a few months ago, same as you. I still have no clue what happened, but he had to have part of his tail amputated. One thing that really helped me was that our vet insisted on doing bloodwork before the surgery. Henry has a history of idiopathic seizures, so I was definitely concerned that anesthesia could be a problem. Although everything came back normal, it was nice to know they could switch the type of anesthesia or dose to accommodate him.

Have had a senior with spinal arthritis undergo anesthesia for biopsy & extraction during long dental. He came through with flying colors. Old dude trotted out to the car & hopped right in like nothing had happened. Have also had a dog, middle aged not senior, require tail surgery & amputation. She came through in very good shape. It was painful but it was very manageable pain. Her recovery was quick.

May your girl come through as well as mine did. Sending good thoughts for an uneventful surgery & rapid recovery.

thank you for all the responses. she is having surgery now...the tail was dislocated and would never heal with splinting. I had the chief vet..very grey saavy look at it with me. Actually broke in two places..so no choice. He suggested taking it off all the way up, would heal better. Her blood work was perfect..that made me feel better.

sounds like you have done all the right things!

Praying for Missy that she does fine thru surgery and has a swift recovery!

:goodluck

oh, these doggies of ours.. giving us all grey hair before our time! :)

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Poor Donna. I came on specifically to see this and how Flex was. Winnie is here now and told me. Keeping your babies in your thoughts and prayers.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I had a grey that needed to amputate part of his tail. It took a while to heal. One thing to have the vet tech do to protect the end was to cover it by taping a large syringe over the bandages (also prevented chewing).

Once it healed, he was perfectly happy and wagged his half tail joyfully!

Missy is home...minus most of her tail. She did fine with surgery. In quite a bit of pain...once the meds kicked in and I layed on her bed with her she settled down. It is very short! I don't think she will be able to chew it. I do not know how to post pictures.