Need Advice - Even Thinking About The Future....

Guest Alysmom

Guest Alysmom

Homer's mom here again --

One of my "issues" running thru my brain. I need advice from hound-saavy people. Homer was sooooooooooooo "perfect", I really need some honest (even if painful) advice on what is going thru my head about ever getting another hound..... *****not now***** but when we are ready.... I guess I just need some peace in my head about my worries.

Here's our situation --

We live on a farm. We are completely perimiter fenced (5 acres). The immediate yard (about one acre) is completely fenced to keep Homer in the mowed lawn area when he went outside. He still had an acre to browse, explore and do his business. Here's the thing. I have cats -- beloved cats. The house cat (one cat) is always inside. He is my daughter's beloved. Outside I have three geriatric (actually they all are old) barn cats. Sweet, loving (except one fiesty old codger). I remember when Homer came home, he was great (mostly) with the house cat. Not always so great with the barn cats. That was 7 1/2 years ago. They are all a lot older, slower... He got better, obviously, and the past few years, he didnt even look at them when they walked by him. Actually, I worried about HIM when the ornery old codger was around because the cat would swat him if he walked up and got in his face!!!

We also went thru extreme (and I do mean extreme) separation anxiety and a fair amount of house damage. My husband is dog "tolerant"....not an animal lover by any means. I don't know how great it would go over if our couch got shreadded, etc.... Homer knocked down mini blinds and tore up door frames and window sills.... Not huge, like getting your carpet or couch shreadded.....

We do have a Northwest Hound group here that fosters all their dogs first in homes. Homer didnt get that. He came from the track with a broken leg and then got shuffled to two homes that bounced him back before I got him, so I know he had "issues" (I didnt know that when I took him!!!). Am I being realistic or unrealistic in hoping the Hound group can match me with a dog that will be able to fit in to this??? I know animals are animals and there can always be some thing. I can deal with shoes here and there or poop in the house or whatever.... I just couldn't deal with a dead cat or hole in the sheetrock or couch shreadded all over the house.....

Do I pursue getting another hound when I am ready to do so, or would I be better with a pup of another breed like a large poodle or something like that?? My heart is for hounds because obviously I had such a wonderful best friend. Was he so exceptional, or was he like others????

Just needing some advice from others who have had more than one and know what the realistic answer would be.....

Thanks so much,

Homer's broken-hearted mom....

I think you have an excellent chance of getting another nice, quiet, well behaved hound if you so choose. If all

one ever reads here is training and behavior and to a lesser extent food threads, greyhounds sound like a very

scary proposition indeed. They aren't. It is just that people who do have problems (real or self inflicted) come here

for help / advice / support. I am happily living with greyhound # 7 over a period of 14 years. We have never had:

1) Separation anxiety

2) Space aggression

3) Food aggression

4) Resource guarding

5) Biting incidents

6) Unusual health problems

7) IBD, tick diseases, epilepsy etc

8) Leash reactivity

9) House damage

10) Property damage

I am sure there are more but I think you get the point. Some of my dogs came from groups. Some straight from the

track sight unseen. Like you, all of my hounds have lived peacefully with indoor / outdoor cats and horses. Like you, we

live on a farm. All of my dogs except one lived into their double digits. Pearl passed away from kidney disease months

away from her 10th BD.

I am so very sorry for your loss. Of course your boy was special! But I bet there is another hound looking for a home you

could love just as much. What better way to honor Homer than to extend the offer of his lovely home and family to another

hound? I don't think there is one.

My beloved, perfect, wonderful, beautiful, sensitive girl whom I lost 4 years ago at almost 15 years old was a pit bull. When I was ready to begin thinking about getting a new dog, I immediately looked at other pit bulls. But then, even though I never meant to, I was always comparing them to her which I didn't want to do. I broadened my search to any adult or senior dog of medium or larger size and saw some greyhounds in my search results. I did some research, met some dogs, and the rest is history--I ended up with a big, black, goofy boy who is pretty much entirely opposite of my sweet girl (specially in her last few years) and I still couldn't be happier.

Could I have adopted another pit and been happy? I'm sure I could have. But my personal choice was to widen my search criteria and take my time finding the right *personality* for me and my family--no matter the breed, and this worked out for me.

There is no right or wrong answer, and although there are some characteristics that dogs of the same breed share, this is more a large generalization than anything. Dogs are individuals and need to be measured and judged as such.

I am so sorry for your loss, but know that if the time comes where you feel you want to bring another dog into your home that no matter which way you go it will be a wonderful and healing time.

~Amanda

Guest Capslock

It sounds like Homer wasn't the easiest dog in the world, yet you made it work. I think if you get an easy-going pooch, you'll find it's a piece of cake. Like gazehund, I've had five greys, and only one case of separation anxiety (a double bounce that became a model citizen), and none of the other "issues" that get reported on this forum. There are super easy greys out there, waiting for your home.

I have only had 2 greys, but neither has had any issues, even with outdoor kitties. They exist, I promise! Work with a group and you'll find the right hound for your home. :)

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Guest Alysmom

I think you have an excellent chance of getting another nice, quiet, well behaved hound if you so choose. If all

one ever reads here is training and behavior and to a lesser extent food threads, greyhounds sound like a very

scary proposition indeed. They aren't. It is just that people who do have problems (real or self inflicted) come here

for help / advice / support. I am happily living with greyhound # 7 over a period of 14 years. We have never had:

1) Separation anxiety

2) Space aggression

3) Food aggression

4) Resource guarding

5) Biting incidents

8) Leash reactivity

9) House damage

10) Property damage

I am sure there are more but I think you get the point. Some of my dogs came from groups. Some straight from the

track sight unseen. Like you, all of my hounds have lived peacefully with indoor / outdoor cats and horses. Like you, we

live on a farm. All of my dogs except one lived into their double digits. Pearl passed away from kidney disease months

away from her 10th BD.

I am so very sorry for your loss. Of course your boy was special! But I bet there is another hound looking for a home you

could love just as much. What better way to honor Homer than to extend the offer of his lovely home and family to another

hound? I don't think there is one.

Wow, that was encouraging.....as were the other comments as well.... I guess I was just getting paranoid in my sorrow.

I also have GOT to get out of this house. Tomorrow is the one week mark. I told my daughter, we have GOTTA go do something. I have spent every day since his passing crying the entire day away... Today it is noon, I have done nothing but cry and post here. I gotta get out of here and stop this......

I miss my boy so. I know no one can ever replace him. He turned into the perfect dog, even though we had a rough start. I am encouraged. Thank you...

I think it's possible to find a greyhound that will meet your criteria if both you and your group (the one that fosters) are willing to be patient and diligent about waiting for the right one. I have fostered my fair share of dogs who walk in and never look twice at the cat - the number of those who wouldn't give chase outside would likely be lower, but it's certainly not impossible. A dog without SA, especially if you're willing to do alone training and take preventative measures right off of the bat shouldn't be that difficult. It sounds like most other transitional issues you are willing to work with so if your heart is set on a hound, I say give it a shot.

I'm sorry for your loss.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I can add this...yesterday Ben and I went for a walk and he led me over to a bush...the neighbours outdoor cat was sitting there. His ears perked up, he looked at it and walked away showing no real interest even though the cat was outside. I'm not sure if he would have chased it, but it's highly unlikely. He definately wasn't stalking it, just curious.

Our greys have all has the run of the house, no muzzles, no baby gates. No food is left out while we're not home, we do take necessary precautions, but our list is the same as Gazehund's above. We've never dealt with separtion anxiety, damage of any kind, getting into the trash, etc. We dog sit Robin-w's hounds and they are just the same, no damage, no muzzles, no trouble at all.

When it's Brooke or Ben's time to leave us, there will be another grey who needs a home and we will need to fill that hole in our heart, not to replace them, but to honour them. Bailey and Brooke are very different and I love Brooke just as much as I loved and continue to love Bailey. Bailey took a piece of my heart with her and Brooke added a piece to it so that over time my heart began to heal.

I'm sure if you work with a group, they will find the perfect hound for you. I have been so tempted many times by greys needing homes on GT and I'm sure that there is a very special one that needs a loving home. Our pups would think they lived in heaven if they had an acre of land.

I know how much pain I was in when Bailey left us, I felt like I could hardly breathe at times, I was barely functioning and grieved deeply. But I know it's possible to love and grieve at the same time, just follow your heart.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

The pain of loss is always awful and for me it's about 6 weeks before I can think of getting another dog. But getting another one kind of makes it better because you honour the one you lost by teaching the new one all you learned from him, thereby getting some menaingful continuity.

Get yourself on a list for one that has been fostered for a while, and is small furry animal friendly even when they dart. Aptitude testing in a one off setting only goes so far; so you need the feedback from a fosterer who has had the dog a while.

Yes do get out of the house! Jan brought up a good point and I would like to clarify. My dogs also have free run of the entire house all day long while we are at work. They have access to their yard via a dog door. No muzzles, no babygates, no crates. We have a cat door in the wall of the dining room so the cats can get to their litter box and food but the dogs can't. The dogs are not left alone with food, ever. Never had a problem but to me that is just common sense. Enjoy your day out and about with your daughter tomorrow.

1) Separation anxiety

2) Space aggression

3) Food aggression

4) Resource guarding

5) Biting incidents

8) Leash reactivity

9) House damage

10) Property damage

I would add to this that my girl -- Annie Bella -- shares the same attributes as above AND she is an only dog but never had any SA, which, if one reads this board a lot, seems to be common with single Greyhounds (but as said above, this forum is used more for problems & issues than other things). Annie Bella is so good that she's almost boring. The only thing she's ever chewed on was a pair of slides I left by the door, and even then, she just chewed on the top and left only teeth marks. She's never gone in the garbage. She's never cruised counters. She doesn't beg for food when I'm eating. She has no space issues. She occasionally plants on our walks, but it's easy to get her going again. She's not afraid of fireworks or thunder storms. She had an issue with smallish spaces, including going through doorways where she couldn't clearly see what was on the other side, but we worked on it and she's fine now. She had an issue with going up the stairs to the second floor (never had an issue with the 9 steps leading to the back door), but we worked on that and there is no problem now.

Annie Bella had been fostered about 2-1/2 months with my group after leaving the track. She was on her 3rd foster home in my group (they switch foster homes every few weeks so nobody gets too attached) when I met her. Each of her foster parents, with whom I spoke separately, told me the same thing about her: calm, quiet, easy going, sweet, affectionate, loves people, gets along great with other dogs and small animals, doesn't like small spaces and uses her crate with no problem. The only thing that wasn't true was crate use. She would go in it, but hated it.

As others above have said, get to know the dogs in your groups that are currently fostered and talk with the foster parents. You'll find a dog that will fit your needs when you're ready.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Empty spaces in the house and heart are difficult to fill but broken hearts do mend. When the time is right, you'll make a decision that works for you.

Edited by Feisty49

Again, I am so sorry about Homer. You shared such a wonderful life together. When you are ready (and there is no way to know when that will be ... often, it is when you aren't even thinking about it!) perhaps you will consider an older dog. Not necessarily a double-digit senior but not a youngster right off the track, either. There are so many seasoned hounds who, through no fault of their own, are looking for homes. They already know the drill about retirement and they are incredibly greytful when they are given a second chance. I adopted a pair of littermates who had been returned at age 9 (now 12.9); then Seamus, also a return, arrived and we celebrated his 11th birthday (now 12), and my most recent girl who arrived just a few months ago was a return at almost 12. They have all come in and made seamless transitions to our life here. Just something to think about.

Please get out tomorrow and get some fresh air :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I am also so sorry your that Homer had to leave.

We have 'been there, done that' many times and it does not get any easier.

Only you will know when it is the right time to get another dog and only you will know if that dog will be another Greyhound.

Sounds like Homer was a challenge, but you took the time and worked through all his issues.

There are many hundreds of hounds that have no 'issues'...my three included.

We've owned multiple dogs over the past 30 years and these Greyhounds have been the easiest.

Here is a link to a thread that was started back in the spring.

:bighug

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

The best decision I made was to have two. They do so well together, and I think you greatly reduce your risk of SA if you already have stable hound in the house.

Good luck with whatever you decide. From how you describe your yard, etc., it sounds like your hound/hounds will have a wonderful life!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

I am lucky. I have dogs and cats and a dog door, which the cats use at will. The dogs know who their cats are and have never chased them - inside or outside. On the other hand, if it is a squirrel or rabbit, all bets are off!

I am sorry for your loss. It is hard. I lost two in less than a month. One day at a time, or if that is too much, break it down further. Having others to care for has helped me tremendously.

Hugs to you.

Cindy

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest Gillybear

We have had two greys, each separately. Our first was the perfect dog and we were heartbroken when she left us. I knew it would be a long time before we were ready for another dog. Then about five months later, our whole house just seemed to yearn for another. The big, goofy Gill has been the complete opposite of our Tweeter girl. And guess what? He's perfect, too!! You will know when the time and the dog are right.

We have had two greys, each separately. Our first was the perfect dog and we were heartbroken when she left us. I knew it would be a long time before we were ready for another dog. Then about five months later, our whole house just seemed to yearn for another. The big, goofy Gill has been the complete opposite of our Tweeter girl. And guess what? He's perfect, too!! You will know when the time and the dog are right.

Guest Alysmom

BatterseaBrindl --- thanks for the link. I loved reading all the stories on the "bombproof" hounds. Lorelei's story made me smile big time. Homer used to go to my mom's nursing home with me -- people loved him and he was soooooo gentle with everyone. He just got so nervous -- I guess he wasn't the "bombproof" kind. The other thing that made me smile were Lorelei's ears -- Homer did that with his ears all the time!!! We laughed and called it his "ear defect" -- we also said he looked like from the side that he had a bun on his head!!! Made me smile bigtime.

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement. I LOVE LOVE hearing about your hounds!!! Happy hound stories warm my heart right now. I think I am improving, I haven't cried today since noon. The day isnt over, and night time is always the hardest, so I cannot make any promises, but I think I am now at least accepting that he is gone. Tomorrow is the one week mark, so like I said earlier, I am going to take my daughter some place fun for a few hours tomorrow to get out of here and not dwell on it.

As everyone else has said, there are many greyhounds out there with no particular issues or special needs. Working with a group that has available dogs in a foster home will definitely help match you with a hound that fits your household. And taking precautions when you first bring your new dog home will ensure a good start - such as keeping the dog on leash and muzzled when first meeting the cats (inside and out), and using a crate or baby-gating into a dog-proof room, when leaving the hound at home alone.

The outside cats will be an area you'll have to be careful, especially at first, as it's pretty common for greyhounds that are fine with cats inside to want to chase outside. However, some are fine with cats outside as well. One of my cats is allowed outside supervised, and I'll have all 4 dogs outside with us at the same time - no muzzles. None of my dogs chase the cat, even when she dashes across the yard.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest Alysmom

As everyone else has said, there are many greyhounds out there with no particular issues or special needs. Working with a group that has available dogs in a foster home will definitely help match you with a hound that fits your household. And taking precautions when you first bring your new dog home will ensure a good start - such as keeping the dog on leash and muzzled when first meeting the cats (inside and out), and using a crate or baby-gating into a dog-proof room, when leaving the hound at home alone.

The outside cats will be an area you'll have to be careful, especially at first, as it's pretty common for greyhounds that are fine with cats inside to want to chase outside. However, some are fine with cats outside as well. One of my cats is allowed outside supervised, and I'll have all 4 dogs outside with us at the same time - no muzzles. None of my dogs chase the cat, even when she dashes across the yard.

Thanks - great advice....brings back memories to when I brought Homer home.... The muzzle is a good idea especially when outside until I know for sure the outside cats are safe....I used a baby gate for Homer as well and gated him into the bedroom....the cat had the rest of the house for awhile. After everthing simmered down with the SA - he got the whole house loose with the cat and they actually slept on the same bed.... sometimes they created a "wall" between themselves (it was a love/hate relationship) I will attach a photo.... The cat (Sagwa) is mourning right now too pretty badly... I am trying to give him lots of extra love....

526365_4302511801567_200289712_n.jpg

We have currently 2 greyhounds and 4 westies. At one time, we had 3 greys/4 westies. Each greyhound fit in with absolutely no problems and have had no problems. We have a doggie door and the dogs have run of the house during the day. They all run together in the backyard and none of the greys have ever gone for one of the littles. Gertie DID catch a rabbit the other day that was in the yard, but has no trouble distinguishing between bunnies and little dogs. We will be getting a new puppy (about 5 pounds) in a week and I expect no problems whatsoever.

Oh, and I only muzzle when clipping Gert's nails.. I will muzzle when I introduce the puppy, but in time I expect no problems. And Sargie is totally bombproof - the westies can run up beside him while playing and he just ignores them. Gert tries to play with them, but she is so big and plays so hard, I don't really let her.

Just explain your situation to your group and they will do their best to find you a greyhound that will work in your situation. And I have always thought 3 was a perfect number of dogs!

Guest goofydog

A little over 8 years ago I brought home my first ever grey as an only(and he still is). Big, goofy, brindle boy who stole my heart the minute we made eye contact. He is all other animal/critter safe and is what onrushpam politely calls a 'houseplant'! I don't know if taking him to work with me at a nursing home helped alleviate any of the issues listed above but it did help us bond.

He is now 10 and in the past 1-2 years has developed a bit of SA, though only if I am in the garage or yard and he can't see me. Several door jambs have suffered grievous injury during this time. If I totally leave the house, get in truck and drive away, there is no issue at all.

While we've had more than our fair share of medical issues this is the only breed I will ever have in my home. When Get Em passes, as they all will, I will need time to mourn the end of a wonderful friendship with my Heart hound. Even thinking of that day brings tears to my eyes. When I have adjusted I will have several dear friends looking for my next houseplant.

Sending healing thoughts to you over the loss of your special boy Homer.