Cruz Needs Your Good Thoughts/prayers

Home cooked should work the best especially since you can vary the ingredients to keep him interested. Dogs with kidney disease don't eat well (no appetite).

Did they teach you how to give fluids so you do not have to take him to the vet? It is not hard if he will stand or lay still for you.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

sending more prayers!!!! :hope :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Home cooked should work the best especially since you can vary the ingredients to keep him interested. Dogs with kidney disease don't eat well (no appetite).

Did they teach you how to give fluids so you do not have to take him to the vet? It is not hard if he will stand or lay still for you.

I am going to second the giving fluids at home if you can. It makes them feel better, and in my experience, improves their appetite. :bighug

Here's a link to a site with an almost overwhelming amount of kidney info, including lots of links to kidney diet research: http://www.dogaware.com/health/kidneymedical.html#

As I recall, Batmom, whose opinion I respect, has posted that she is not impressed with the dogaware site. I have found it helpful as a starting point for my own research, but would welcome Batmom or anyone else pointing out con's to the site.

My Scout had a form of kidney disease for almost three years. He managed pretty well with a low phosphorous diet until the last 3-4 months. I gave him azodyl those last few months, which brought his kidney measures down significantly. But remember that azodyl does not improve or maintain kidney function, it apparently just helps the body break down the toxic waste products better. The dogaware site does not have a high opinion of it, and I am not a complete believer, but I would give it again.

I follow Diane Burpdog's diet advice for seniors, which is give them what they'll eat (that's not actively harmful). :)

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Thanks everyone. I'm not sure how well Cruz will tolerate the fluids at home but it's certainly worth a try. I'm going to take him back earlier than recommended for labwork. A friend just went down this road with her elderly mixed breed and she did didn't tolerate the home fluids well at all after the second or third time. Cruz is a quirkly guy and is easily upset. We'll just have to see how it goes.

He's been on the Azodyl a week today. His appetite has not improved and he will seldom eat the same thing two days in row. I'm giving him whatever I can get him to eat. He just won't eat enough of anything to maintain his weight. I'm now feeding him several times a day. He's so thin. It's just breaking my heart. I don't know when I've felt so helpless. :cry1

Edited by galgrey

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Thinking good healthy thoughts for your boy. I hope he improves soon.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I'm currently on this road with Jessie (age 13 1/2). We had her on a low protein diet for a time, but now we're at the point where getting her to eat something is more important than worrying about the content. I've tried canned food, home-cooked, and so on. Nothing has worked for very long. Oddly enough, she's recently decided to eat the same kibble that her refusal to eat caused me to have her blood tests run in the first place. :blink:

We tried Mirtazapine, but it didn't have a huge impact. We're now using Winstrol (stanozolol), which has improved her appetite and restored some strength to her wobbly back end.

ETA: She gets fluids every second day. I do them at home. She doesn't enjoy it but she permits it.

I hope Senor Cruz starts to eat and feel better. :goodluck

Edited by GreyPoopon

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I'm currently on this road with Jessie (age 13 1/2). We had her on a low protein diet for a time, but now we're at the point where getting her to eat something is more important than worrying about the content. I've tried canned food, home-cooked, and so on. Nothing has worked for very long. Oddly enough, she's recently decided to eat the same kibble that her refusal to eat caused me to have her blood tests run in the first place. :blink:

We tried Mirtazapine, but it didn't have a huge impact. We're now using Winstrol (stanozolol), which has improved her appetite and restored some strength to her wobbly back end.

ETA: She gets fluids every second day. I do them at home. She doesn't enjoy it but she permits it.

I hope Senor Cruz starts to eat and feel better. :goodluck

I'm not really seeing any benefit from the Mirtazapine either, but will definitely ask about Winstrol. Thanks for the suggestion. Keep eating Jessie! :kiss2

Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Try N/F --seems more palatable than K/D.

Thank you. I will check it out. I'm trying everything.