Cruz Needs Your Good Thoughts/prayers

I posted over a week ago that my galgo, Cruz, had a UTI and elevated kidney enzymes. He finished his antibiotic but his appetite didn't improve and he seemed to be feeling worse, so I took him in today for follow up. His BUN was sky high today so he's spending the next 2 to 3 days in the hospital on IV fluids to flush his kidneys. White light, healing thoughts, prayers greatly appreciated. My galgito is a very sick boy. :(

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Oh no, how scary! Sending healing thoughts and gentle hugs for your boy~

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

Did they check for lepto???

No, but tell me what you know about lepto and kidney problems please! I'm so worried.

Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

:(

Sending prayers.

Checking for lepto is a good idea as it can cause severe kidney problems.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

sending many prayers!!! :hope :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Lepto is a bacterium that is transmitted via other infected animals such as raccoons, skunks... through their urine. So if your hound drank from a puddle that was frequented by such a animal it's possible to be transmitted.

Intially the signs could be vague but, increased liver and or renal enzymes may be seen. A PCR test can confirm the disease. Treatment involves IV fluds and IV antibotics.

Check for Leishmaniasis. It is a disease that is common in Spain, especially in the south. It is transmitted by a bite from a sandfly. You might have to consult with OSU for diagnosis, as it's difficult to find a knowledgable vet in North America.

http://www.greyhoundsinneed.co.uk/info_greyhound_galgo/info_frame.htm?http&&&www.greyhoundsinneed.co.uk/info_greyhound_galgo/mediterranean.htm

I'm sorry I didn't see your other thread :(

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

:goodluck

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13), Grey Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23)

Check for Leishmaniasis. It is a disease that is common in Spain, especially in the south. It is transmitted by a bite from a sandfly. You might have to consult with OSU for diagnosis, as it's difficult to find a knowledgable vet in North America.

http://www.greyhound...diterranean.htm

He was supposed to have been negative for this when I adopted him in 2006. Do you know if false negatives are common or if it could have been dormant?

Lepto is a bacterium that is transmitted via other infected animals such as raccoons, skunks... through their urine. So if your hound drank from a puddle that was frequented by such a animal it's possible to be transmitted.

Intially the signs could be vague but, increased liver and or renal enzymes may be seen. A PCR test can confirm the disease. Treatment involves IV fluds and IV antibotics.

I will call about this as soon as the office opens. I've not seen any of the other symptoms of lepto (just did some reading on it online), but it's defintely worth checking out. Thank you.

He was supposed to have been negative for this when I adopted him in 2006. Do you know if false negatives are common or if it could have been dormant?

I'm pretty sure it can lay dormant. The same thing happened to a local galgo, one of GT's Lady Bailey's (Eva) dogs. He had to be diagnosed by OSU. Maybe you can pm her for more info.

Dr. Couto goes to Scooby at least once a year and he helps train vet students in Spain. He is a real expert on galgos.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I'm pretty sure it can lay dormant. The same thing happened to a local galgo, one of GT's Lady Bailey's (Eva) dogs. He had to be diagnosed by OSU. Maybe you can pm her for more info.

Dr. Couto goes to Scooby at least once a year and he helps train vet students in Spain. He is a real expert on galgos.

Can I email to Couto myself, or should an email come from my vet?

Can I email to Couto myself, or should an email come from my vet?

You can do it yourself.

https://greyhound.osu.edu/consultationservice/

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg

How is Señor Cruz doing? Do you have an update?

Thanks to everyone who's sent their prayers and good thoughts for my sweet boy. This has been an ordeal for both of us. After finishing his antibiotics, his appetite got worse and over the weekend he had some sleep incontinence so I took him back in for a recheck on Monday. The infection was gone, but his BUN was up to 111. I had to leave him for IV fluids. He did not do well being hospitalized at all. He cried, howled, paced, and fretted the entire time. They had to sedate him to keep him from kinking his IV line because he wouldn't stay still. He continued to cry even though he was sedated. :cry1 Since the clinic was closing for July 4th I brought him home because only kennel staff would be in and out on Tuesday night and Wednesday. His BUN was down in the 90's after 24 hours of fluids. I got him to eat Tuesday night and Wednesday (cooked for him) and took him back Thursday morning. He had a terrible anxiety episode in the car when he realized where we were going. He started panting and trembling and whining. By the time we got there his temperature was 103. Dr. Watkins sedated him and I left him again. :cry1 I picked him up at 6:00 pm yesterday. His BUN was down to 50 and his creatinine was down but still higher than normal (my brain is tired and I can't remember). He had not eaten anything for them. His temperature was normal. No sign of infection so the elevated temperature was stress/anxiety we assume. Dr. W sent us home with recipe sheets for a homemade diet and Mirtazapine to give him to stimulate his appetite. After he slept a little (still groggy from the sedation), he ate a whole can of K/D with beef broth poured over it. He was exhausted and slept well after dinner. My task is to keep him eating and preferably eating a kidney friendly homemade diet. I have to go shopping today for ingredients and will make up a small back of this stuff until I see if he'll eat it. He's to go back in for labwork in three weeks. Sooner if he's not doing well.

I don't know his exact age, but estimates based on info from the adoption group (SOS Galgos) and his Spanish passport are between 9 and 12.

Any suggestions re: diet, supplements, keeping him eating, etc. from those of you with experience with renal failure would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for your good thoughts and prayers.

Oh my word, what a time you've had! Really hope he has turned the corner for you!

Supplements: I would not give any except possibly Azodyl (thought to help lower BUN), fish oil (if he needs it for his coat), and multivitamin (if needed for his diet). Most other supplements are of no or dubious value and even more dubious purity. You don't want to be throwing weird, untested, unregulated stuff at a kidney dog.

Diet: If he does well on KD and you can afford it, I'd keep him on it for a couple weeks at least.

For homemade kidney-friendly diet (dog has reasonably stable but not great kidney values), we use @ the minimum protein requirement for a healthy dog and supply most of that with cooked beef and egg. My dogs never seem to process chicken as well, and it's so low in fat that then you have to add some type of oil to get appropriate calories.

For carbs we have used cooked rice, cooked barley (higher in phos IIRC but digests well), and low-sugar, low-salt, low-other-additive people cereals like Shredded Wheat, Cheerios, Corn Chex, Rice Chex, Special K. I haven't had good digestive success with any large quantity of cooked oatmeal, potatoes, sweet potatoes, or pasta but YMMV. The people cereals are expensive but easy.

We usually add a few cooked veggies and fruits to help make up vitamins/minerals -- spinach, broccoli, green beans, banana (raw is fine), carrots, a little apple ..... Then add appropriate amount of calcium to balance the phosphorus, and a multivitamin/mineral supplement as needed.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Oh my word, what a time you've had! Really hope he has turned the corner for you!

Supplements: I would not give any except possibly Azodyl (thought to help lower BUN), fish oil (if he needs it for his coat), and multivitamin (if needed for his diet). Most other supplements are of no or dubious value and even more dubious purity. You don't want to be throwing weird, untested, unregulated stuff at a kidney dog.

Diet: If he does well on KD and you can afford it, I'd keep him on it for a couple weeks at least.

For homemade kidney-friendly diet (dog has reasonably stable but not great kidney values), we use @ the minimum protein requirement for a healthy dog and supply most of that with cooked beef and egg. My dogs never seem to process chicken as well, and it's so low in fat that then you have to add some type of oil to get appropriate calories.

For carbs we have used cooked rice, cooked barley (higher in phos IIRC but digests well), and low-sugar, low-salt, low-other-additive people cereals like Shredded Wheat, Cheerios, Corn Chex, Rice Chex, Special K. I haven't had good digestive success with any large quantity of cooked oatmeal, potatoes, sweet potatoes, or pasta but YMMV. The people cereals are expensive but easy.

We usually add a few cooked veggies and fruits to help make up vitamins/minerals -- spinach, broccoli, green beans, banana (raw is fine), carrots, a little apple ..... Then add appropriate amount of calcium to balance the phosphorus, and a multivitamin/mineral supplement as needed.

Thanks so much for this! I had not heart about Azodyl, so I did a search after reading your post and went out and bought some. Just gave him two capsules and am hoping for the best. I found out this AM that he will not eat the canned K/D without beef juice poured over it. He was a picky eater before the kidney disease, so now it's really hard to find something he'll eat for more than a day or two. He's very thin and that's hard to see. I'm ready to experiment and see what I can get him to eat. I welcome all advice from those of you who have gone down the CRF road.