Help! Cannot Find Commercial Food That My Boy Can Handle

Guest redhare

Guest redhare

I have a four year old boy, Tigger. We have not been able to find a commercial food that his stomach can tolerate. Their are some that he may tolerate for a few months then he loses his appetite and starts with the soft stool. The only thing that consistantly agrees with him is plain rice and beef. I know that he cannot stay on this as it is not nutritionally complete and is a GIANT pita to make on a regular basis AND its pricy.

Foods I have tried:

Natural Balance LID Sweet Potatoe and Bison

Taste of the Wild Salmon

Every varitety of Hills Presecription Diet

Evo

Try Precise Foundation Chicken Meal and Rice, or Precise Sensicare (which is a lamb based food). Both are highly digestible. Both are available to order at Wag.com if you can't find locally. Precise Be sure to look for those exact names, as they have other foods with similar names that are different.

We tried some of those same richer foods with Rocket and had the same reults - after a few months - liquid poo. (We use the Precise Foundation Chicken Meal and Rice now, and have been on it for over a year with excellent results. (You may note in another thread that Rocket is having stomach issues - we have ruled out the food as the cause, and he is back on it with no food related issues.) It appears we may be dealing with worms or a parsite of some type, and are going through that treament process now.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I agree with the above. If he's good on rice and beef, why have you tried foods without rice and beef? :dunno

Though I was surprised the buffalo wasn't close enough. We had good luck with Canidae products. You might also look into ones with more fiber.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest redhare

I agree with the above. If he's good on rice and beef, why have you tried foods without rice and beef? :dunno

Though I was surprised the buffalo wasn't close enough. We had good luck with Canidae products. You might also look into ones with more fiber.

At least one of the prescription diets was a rice and beef. When I'm looking at food I'm trying to find a rice and beef(or like protein) that has minimal other ingrediants. Its not so easy.

I would try some foods like Science Diet Adult Lamb & Rice, IAMS green bag (Adult Mini Chunks) or red bag (Adult Lamb & Rice), Purina ONE Sensitive Systems, Solid Gold Mmillennia Beef (but make sure that one isn't on the recall list; a few Solid Gold foods were).

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

we feed Solid Gold MMillenium. It's beef and barley and was NOT on the recall list (only the Wolf King was)

Maureen, Sean, Molly (Garnett Madonna) and Sully (Starz Top Style)

gallery_1382_2909_6961.jpg

Visit LongDog Leather Works for adjustable leather martingales, wrap around leather tag bags, breakaway tag necklaces and cool leather people gear. Check out our Etsy store!

Guest BrianRke

I second the vote for Iams Green Bag. Im not a fan of the ingredients but it is the only food that Frank can eat. He does very well on it. My other two eat a mixture of Fromm's & SS Naturals.

I second the vote for Iams Green Bag. Im not a fan of the ingredients but it is the only food that Frank can eat. He does very well on it. My other two eat a mixture of Fromm's & SS Naturals.

:nod Iams has fixed more runny pooped dogs than you can shake a stick at. With my bad tummy Rex I tried:

Purina One sensitive stomach

Natural Balance (one of the novel proteins...I forget which one)

California Natural (one protein and one grain)

Nature's Recipe

Wellness

and I'm sure a couple of more that slip my memory.

Then I threw a green bag of Iams in the cart....

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

how about blue seal crunchies...pork and barley? a good friend's dogs and boarders do well on it, especially the dogs whose owner were having trouble w/ their digestive issues. as a trial she tried her trusty kibble, the dogs did well(she is one of those w/ innate feelings about animals).

have you tried any of the nutro foods? sensitive stomach or any of the other simple combos? my sensitive stomach boy is doing well on their large breed lamb and rice. he couldn't eat other brand lamb and rice.

We had this with Ollie. Once we switched him to a raw diet, life got much simpler and now his poop are the size of cat poop. Not bad for a 92 pound dog!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Iams green bag is a wonder-worker.

I agree. I've been struggling to find a food that wouldn't result in soft stools. After trying 3 different kinds in the last 6 months we've settled on Iams and things have firmed up very nicely.....even on the 2nd and 3rd time going, he's still pooping firm. It's a good feeling because he has a habit of pooping on/in plants and cleaning loose stool from a shrub can be a nightmare.

Iams Green Bag worked great for Annie Bella and her lower digestive issues, until it didn't. She caught something in April -- the vet said there was a bug going around the dog world, as it does in the human world, causing diarrhea -- and when that was over and done with and I went through the usual chicken/rice bland diet, then prescription kibble from the vet and then slowly adding Iams Green Bag, Annie Bella didn't get back decent poos and she eventually turned her nose up at her kibble once the amount of Iams got to a certain level. ::big sigh::

I'm not one who jumps around with food any more. I did my share of high-end stuff, which exacerbated her mushy poo into diarrhea after I adopted her last July. I was so glad to try the Iams because while not perfect, her poos were acceptable... until they weren't.

Ok.. long story short: After wandering around the pet store for an hour last week, comparing ingredients and prices, I was down to two choices and the owner of the store recommended one of them -- Nutro Natural Choice Venison Meal & Whole Brown Rice Natural Dog Food. As Iams was once tossed into the cart, so went the Nutro. I figured a 5# bag was worth the try.

The good news is it works! It works better than the Iams did. In the two days of introduction I gave, her poos were markedly improved. In for a penny, in for a pound, and as I often do with life in general, I said "Screw it," and went 100% on day #3. Within 36 hours her poos were the best they have ever been. I mean the best! I mean I can pick 'em up without having to take grass with it because it's so messy. And she loves the food. She's back to eating all her breakfast again and with enthusiasm. She is back to giving me stinky eye to remind me supper is due soon. Right now, I am a happy Greyhound parent.

Edited by Feisty49

Guest lfreem2

Iams green bag did not work for us. I have Ellie on the same food the adoption agency swears by (Life's Abundance), that is insanely expensive. I've tried switching her a few times (with a normal transition period), but it never works out and we get runny poop. The moment I put her back on Life's Abundance, she settles down again.

We tried Iams, Costco, 4Health/Diamond (oh the farts!!) and none of these worked. She also will not tolerate canned food.

I'm thrilled we have at least one food she can tolerate, but it's such a pain in the neck that you can't buy it locally and only over the internet and it's crazy expensive. Once you buy it and pay the shipping it's nearly $80 per bag! Yikes!

I want to attempt Nutro next. Sigh!

Edited by lfreem2

Guest sirsmom

Iams Green Bag worked great for Annie Bella and her lower digestive issues, until it didn't. She caught something in April -- the vet said there was a bug going around the dog world, as it does in the human world, causing diarrhea -- and when that was over and done with and I went through the usual chicken/rice bland diet, then prescription kibble from the vet and then slowly adding Iams Green Bag, Annie Bella didn't get back decent poos and she eventually turned her nose up at her kibble once the amount of Iams got to a certain level. ::big sigh::

I'm not one who jumps around with food any more. I did my share of high-end stuff, which exacerbated her mushy poo into diarrhea after I adopted her last July. I was so glad to try the Iams because while not perfect, her poos were acceptable... until they weren't.

Ok.. long story short: After wandering around the pet store for an hour last week, comparing ingredients and prices, I was down to two choices and the owner of the store recommended one of them -- Nutro Natural Choice Venison Meal & Whole Brown Rice Natural Dog Food. As Iams was once tossed into the cart, so went the Nutro. I figured a 5# bag was worth the try.

The good news is it works! It works better than the Iams did. In the two days of introduction I gave, her poos were markedly improved. In for a penny, in for a pound, and as I often do with life in general, I said "Screw it," and went 100% on day #3. Within 36 hours her poos were the best they have ever been. I mean the best! I mean I can pick 'em up without having to take grass with it because it's so messy. And she loves the food. She's back to eating all her breakfast again and with enthusiasm. She is back to giving me stinky eye to remind me supper is due soon. Right now, I am a happy Greyhound parent.

We tried Nutro grain free turkey last year and it did work out poop-wise and was eaten with enthusiasm. Its expensive but I wouldn't hesitate to feed again.

Iams green bag did not work for us. I have Ellie on the same food the adoption agency swears by (Life's Abundance), that is insanely expensive. I've tried switching her a few times (with a normal transition period), but it never works out and we get runny poop. The moment I put her back on Life's Abundance, she settles down again.

We tried Iams, Costco, 4Health/Diamond (oh the farts!!) and none of these worked. She also will not tolerate canned food.

I'm thrilled we have at least one food she can tolerate, but it's such a pain in the neck that you can't buy it locally and only over the internet and it's crazy expensive. Once you buy it and pay the shipping it's nearly $80 per bag! Yikes!

I want to attempt Nutro next. Sigh!

The company web page of Life Abundance sells a 40# bag for $63.09 if you choose auto shipping, meaning a bag is automatically shipped at the frequency the customer requests. With auto shipping, there is no charge for shipping, so the price is straight forward. That's about $17 less than what you're paying now. Still expensive but every $17 counts!

Edited by Feisty49

I had a dog that didn't do very well on what I would consider really good food. I went throught lots of good foods, then went to lesser brands - it worked. Iams was fine, Diamond Naturals was fine, 4Health (by Tractor Suppy) and Premium Edge all worked just fine for him. Anything "better" and he was too loose and always hungry.

I had one foster whose former owner said she'd tried everything under the sun for a particular dog and the only thing that worked was Purina green bag. I stuck with that while he was here. She may have been exaggreating, but I saw no reason to mess with what worked.

Guest 2dogs4cats

Have you tried Royal Canin - they have a line of prescription diets. Or maybe Freshpet? I am actually a believer in a quality canned food rather than dry.

• 5 months later...
Guest spurg_greys2

Can you get any of these foods mentioned above (Iams green bag or Nutro Venison Meal/Whole Brown Rice) in smaller kibble sizes? Our two elderly greys prefer the small bites normally given to toy breeds. Our older male grey has trouble chewing anything at this point. We've also had the same problems with runny stools. I've had them on Royal Canin for Sensitive Stomachs, also quite pricey. They seem to like it well enough. However, if I add canned food to the dry the stools get loose. They have always preferred a bit of canned on top of the dry kibble, but maybe THAT is the problem. Not sure, but I am getting tired of trying to pick up cow pies in the backyard! Any suggestions?? Thank you.

Guest spurg_greys2

P.S.

I stopped feeding Blue Buffalo dry & canned to my older greys because my vet told me that it does cause loose stools in older greyhounds. However, they really do like the canned Blue Buffalo stews. But I guess that will have to go by the wayside, too. It's difficult since we also have two whippets who don't seem to be as bothered by these foods as much as the greyhounds do.