Did Not Pass Cgc/tdi

Guest DragonflyDM

Guest DragonflyDM

So Boomer is doing great. He is blowing all the other dogs out of the water on every checklist point...

Then they take him into the doggy day care and that was it-- he lost all concentration. I couldn’t get him to focus while there were so many new smells.. So when it came to “stay” he just wouldn’t make eye contact to accept the command.

Also the CGC tester REQUIRED a sit, and so that was never going to happen either (I thought greyhounds were exempt?).

The two basic commands I drilled over and over (stay, come) and that was the only area that he faltered. He is laying on the bed feeling like Rachel from “Glee” after her audition.

Guest DragonflyDM

We aren’t sad… but it was the easiest part of the test that he so good at. We got him some of those veggie gators they sell at the store for him to chew on and new soup bone. I know he can do it and is awesome.

You'll get it. Took Joseph 3 tries -- I gave up after the first two and then signed him up when Gidget went to try for her CGC. Wouldn't you know, funny ol' booger passed.

The 3 different evaluators for our tests wanted the dog to show he could sit but didn't require him to STAY sitting. For stay/recall he could be lying down, for meeting a friendly stranger he could stand up as long as he basically stayed in one spot and didn't bite, accost, etc. the greeter. YMMV.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

For the CGC and TDI, I don't remember having to place my dog in a high-stimulus area like a doggy care. That seems unfair for a CGC test. Greyhounds are exempt from the sit for TDI.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Here's a link to the TDI page: http://www.tdi-dog.org/HowToJoin.aspx?Page=Testing+Requirements

From there click on the TDI Testing Requirements Brochure and a pdf will open. In the top left corner it states that greyhounds don't have to do a sit.

Be sure to read page 2 of the pdf for an explanation of the testing showing the difference between CGC and TDI.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

That's OK Boomer!!! Better luck next time!!!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

I had the same thing happen with Dazzle. He does everything required in the test but loses concentration at the test site. :rolleyes:

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

Guest DragonflyDM

Absolutely no reason you can't teach him to sit. It might not be elegant, but if George can learn it, any hound can.

There are some greyhounds that do sit. And you CAN teach him…but if a greyhound finds it uncomfortable than why would you? The CGC tester stated that if he doesn’t sit then AKC will not pass him. The TDI doesn’t require it, but she demanded that he do a “lie down” command, which he won’t do unless there is a big pillow, which I didn’t have.

But the doggy daycare had too many barking dogs (which didn’t bother him) and scents (which he was more interested in than listening to me for a stay command. I would get his attention for a second for stay and he would immediately look around and start sniffing… he would then see me about 10 feet away and go “oh I guess I should be over there.” He is great for stay if he can focus, but it wasn’t going to happen the first five minutes he was at the doggy daycare. Now I can do it at a PETCO no problem.. he had to stay and come when I tested him for obedience.

We will work on it some more and retest later.

IMO a therapy does does have to focus in an environment where they might be overstimulated. We took our test at a dog training facility where there were a ton of smells and a lot of activity. Grace has never gone to a formal obedience class and I forgot about the test until just a few days before. She passed with no problem at all. Fenway, on the other hand, is not the right dog to pass a test like this and would likely fail miserably. He would not be able to concentrate at all.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest DragonflyDM

IMO a therapy does does have to focus in an environment where they might be overstimulated. We took our test at a dog training facility where there were a ton of smells and a lot of activity. Grace has never gone to a formal obedience class and I forgot about the test until just a few days before. She passed with no problem at all. Fenway, on the other hand, is not the right dog to pass a test like this and would likely fail miserably. He would not be able to concentrate at all.

I agree.. he was amazing in every other aspect other than stay…