Tick Still On

Guest sirsmom

Guest sirsmom

How long does it take a tick to die and fall off after using Advantix. I'm noticing a tick embedded still after 3 days.

You should remove a tick any time you find one on. Don't wait for it to fall off. If it's dead, its jaws are probably stuck in the skin. If it's alive, you're running the risk of a TBD. There are tick keys out there that make removal easier, but a pair of tweezers will do.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

I would NEVER wait for a tick to "fall off". I'd grab those tweezers and remove the darn thing myself. Things like Lyme disease kick-in when a tick has been on for 24 hours.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

As the others have said, pull the tick OUT as soon as you see it.

Just grasp it as close to your dog's skin as possible and pull it straight out. Flush the little bastard down the toilet.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

This may answer your question, but yeah, remove the tick :)

http://www.animalhealth.bayerhealthcare.com/4864.0.html

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Tickicidal :lol:thumbs-up

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Just be sure it really is a tick (legs will be seen) instead of a nipple :lol

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest sirsmom

Grab as close to the head as you can and pull gently. It should come out without too much fuss.

Thanks. I did it! Our ex-vet told me the Advantix or Frontline would make them drop off.

Just be sure it really is a tick (legs will be seen) instead of a nipple :lol

OK, I didn't do the nipple thing, but did once try to remove a mole off of Shadow's head with a tick spoon :blush I swear it looked exactly like a tick! :blink:

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

Grab as close to the head as you can and pull gently. It should come out without too much fuss.

Thanks. I did it! Our ex-vet told me the Advantix or Frontline would make them drop off.

You should probably read the package insert--good practice with any medication. It WILL make them drop off--once they die. Which can take 24 hours or more.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Mom2Shiloh

How long the tick is on is Really important because they have to be on a certain length of time to transmit the disease. So as people have said, get it off.. drop it in a small glass of soapy or oily water. You won't contract anything by handling it.. only if it bites you. It's not going to bit you if you are pinching it between angry fingers.. (at least in my experience)

Guest sirsmom

I'm pretty sure this one was dead--no movement. I may have to buy one of those tick removal gadgets as I hated using my eyebrow tweezers.!

Guest Celestes_Dad

Tick Identification and how to remove one... We are seeing the Gulf Coast Tick now in VA so this chart will be updated and the addition of Gulf Coast Spotted Disease...

Tick ID Guide VA

According to my physician (people doc..LOL), it takes 48 hours for the Lyme bacteria to be transmitted. Gotta pull those little suckers off right away, though, and if you've seen one, there may be more.

As a matter of interest, would Capstar have caused the tick to fall off quicker? I don't live in tick country, but will be heading South soon. Bought one of the tick spoon-like removers, but was also considering bringing Capstar for good measure.

We use the Tick Key. Easiest thing ever, and it works. We keep one in the travel kit and one in the house.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest gomiesmom

Agree - get it off/out as soon as you see it.

I don't know if it works, and the nasty thing would have to be alive, but I heard dish soap on a cotton ball, placed on the tick will make it back out. May take a fe minutes

Thankfully. my guys have had no ticks on them this seasons ( so far). I have heard ticks were bad, but so far we are still good.... using Front line plus and (trying) to keep grass as low as we can.. :dunno..