Natural Balance Now Recalled

:(

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I don't know what to feed her for a week til the other food comes in. You can only get it on line. She has a very sensitive tummy..Any ideas for a week. She can't even eat rice or chicken :(

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

What can she eat?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I think I will learn how to feed human grade raw.

:nod I lived in fear with the big recall that had the melamine from China in it. This time around I'm heaving a sigh of relief as I'm now feeding raw. Scary scary stuff.

Walliered, if you decide to take the raw plunge, there are a lot of resources on GT and on the NaturallyGrey yahoo board. Lots of support, too.

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

If you're feeding "human-grade raw," you're already likely in contact with as much or more Salmonella than is in the recalled dog food.

http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/

This is so upsetting. We mix Lexie's food with Precise so I will have to throw it all out.

i would bring it back anyway. do you really think that they are going to examine the kibble?

I can't bring it back. I bought it on line :( I e mailed and it sounds like I would get reimbursed. I don't know what to feed Lexie in the meantime. I guess I can throw together what she can eat like sweet potaotes and grain free snacks we have. I want to buy a small bag of something but I don't know what to get now? Grain free always works best for her :blink:

Edited by rschultz

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

Is there any danger to dogs from eating the recalled foods? Or, is it just a problem for humans?

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Is there any danger to dogs from eating the recalled foods? Or, is it just a problem for humans?

Dogs can become ill from Salmonella. They aren't as susceptible to it as people are, though.

Dogs can become ill from Salmonella. They aren't as susceptible to it as people are, though.

It is a big concern for dogs with immune system issues, right?

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

I wouldn't feed items likely to be contaminated with Salmonella, Campylobacter, etc. to puppies, elderly dogs, or immune-compromised dogs. Or people. Some people do. YMMV. :)

Lexie may be eating some people food this week. How about tuna or salmon? (She may never want kibble again) Any canned (wet) food that she can eat

Scrambled eggs, cottage cheese, toast, or green beans for breakfast? Not a ton of nutrition but would get her through the morning until you find an alternate for the week.

Guess this is a good time to do a little "disaster planning" and figure out what we would be feeding if food wasn't available after a disaster etc.... We usually keep 2 40lb bags on hand, but if ours was recalled, we too would be SOL.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

In searching for "canine salmonella" last night, I somehow came across "canine SALMON poisoning". Apparently raw salmon can carry something bad for dogs too. Go figure.unsure.gif

ETA Just ran across this on FB. http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/

Edited by DaisyDoodle

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

I think we're gonna live dangerously. 28lb bag of NB Ven/SP is on the recall list, but already half gone with

no ill effects......so IMHO he's gonna finish it.

Please don't flame me, I guess I just like to live on the edge. Last year I finished up a bag of salad mix

that was on a recall list, and I'm still here; another year older, but no wiser, it seems.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

I think we're gonna live dangerously. 28lb bag of NB Ven/SP is on the recall list, but already half gone with

no ill effects......so IMHO he's gonna finish it.

Please don't flame me, I guess I just like to live on the edge. Last year I finished up a bag of salad mix

that was on a recall list, and I'm still here; another year older, but no wiser, it seems.

:yay I like common sense.

Check the info on this site:

Dog Food Advisor

I also feed grain free and due to the recalls am switching foods. I was looking at Nutro or Avoderm both have grain free.

Now I have decided on either NutriSource or Fromm. Both are available where I prefer to buy my dog food and both have grain free.

Sue ,Sky and Dood, Bridge angels Clark, Gypsy, Dreamy and Sneakers, Oshkosh,WI Heartbound Greyhound Adoptionsept2013sigcopy_zps8ad6ed09.jpg<p>

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Krissyfissy

We went to Petco this afternoon to browse for dry food and the lady was out with the Natural Balance LID sweet potato and bison samples, we got a couple of them from her because we were interested in the limited ingredients in the food that are supposed to work well with sensitive tummies. Were all of the dry bags recalled? If not, does that mean that we absolutely should not purchase this product? I am reading that many of you are switching. I would like to keep my dogs safe, but want to help them have a healthy diet that doesn't upset their tummies.