Blue Buffalo Cause Farting?

Guest lbooras

Guest lbooras

I was wondering if anyone was having problems with feeding their greyhounds Blue Buffalo? They've just switched and they have been on it about 2 weeks now. They've been smelling horribly! It's almost like the smell is coming out of their pores. Their farts are also extremely smelly, but silent. They have NEVER smelled like this before. They're on the large breed chicken. One of ours has a pretty sensitive stomach, but he's fine with grains. They're stools are also very soft. Have they not adapted yet, is the food too rich? Any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful! Thanks!

I tried the chicken and rice (blue bag) and it was just a bit too rich I think for my dog. He would fart up a storm, the kind that peels paint off walls. Stools were a little looser with it as well. I'd say to wait and see how it goes in the next few weeks and then maybe look for an alternative. We gave it a strong month in order for him to adjust but things didn't improve. After a few too many bombs dropped in the elevator with random strangers getting on and off. I had enough, I can only say it was the dog so many times! :blink: We settled on Nature's Recipe Fish and S. Potato, he's doing much better now. Good luck in your quest to find the right food.

I was a rep for Blue Buffalo for a while and got free product that I couldn't feed. No matter how long I transitioned once we got top about 3/4 Blue it was runny poo.

Nice people, good food but too rich for my guys.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I don't think it takes as long as a month to determine if new food is going to work. Greyhounds' tummies may be sensitive, but pretty much I give it about a week and if Annie Bella's got loose stools or diarrhea, then the food's not working for her. She can't use Blue Buffalo either. Actually, any high-end food gives her a problem.

Yep, just too rich in proteins and high in fats for certain Greys. You can add a tablespoon of live yoghurt which will help somewhat, but if you want solid poops back consider feeding the Green (Proactive) bag of Iams. It might not be the best but whatever works for the dogs I say.

...but if you want solid poops back consider feeding the Green (Proactive) bag of Iams. It might not be the best but whatever works for the dogs I say.

...then I threw a green bag of Iams in the cart...B)

And it did work for Annie Bella for quite a few months, then she stopped liking it. Damn! Then she got loose stools. Double damn. Now I don't know what to do. Am actually hoping the loose sample I'm taking to the vet today shows something nasty so that she can go on meds and be done with this almost-diarrhea stuff.

Guest aowam

That's exactly. What happened to us. Horrrible gas and always smushy poos. Now we are on castor and pollux ultramix and he has gas but i think its the antibiotic he is on. At least i hope it is....so sensitive.

Yep - the Iam's works well and I mix it with KIrkland Lamb & Rice (harder for me to get) and we now live in a fart free zone lol.gif I also cook sweet taters, veggies and some meat to toss on top.

I made the mistake of adding a bit of milk to my boy's bowl a couple of days ago and it didn't work well for him. That night, as we snuggled, he farted for the first time in months! We were both surprised blink.gif

...but if you want solid poops back consider feeding the Green (Proactive) bag of Iams. It might not be the best but whatever works for the dogs I say.

...then I threw a green bag of Iams in the cart...B)

Jody, Leah & Jimmie
Tavasci%2520august%2520sunset%2520%2528C
You left us much, much too soon Lima & Chip :brokenheart

We had good results on the Bule Lamb and Rice for about 6 months, then one day Rocket could no longer tolerate it. It was just too rich. Same result with TOTW, after a few months, back to having the runs. After a long search, we have been feeding Precise Foundation Chicken Meal and Rice for well over a year, and still have "kickable poop."

Unfortuantely, switching to IAMS didn't work for us. It may take some trial and error, but it seems like you eventually just have to try some different foods until you find one that works for your dog.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest lbooras

Good news! Decided to go back to an old standard...Nutro Chicken and Rice for sensitive stomachs. they've eaten 2 meals on it, and NO FARTING or poo smell eeking out of them! Stools have immediately firmed up too. Thanks for the input guys!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ryeamans

This is the second topic about Blue Buffalo that I've read so far today, and I'm realizing now that I think I'm in the same boat as many of you and might need to switch. Charlie loves the taste of Blue Buffalo, so I never really thought anything of it, but man alive, he can lay some nasty ones!

I have the only little family that does well on it apparently! I feed both the 12 yr old IG and the 9 yr old Whippet Blue Freedom Chicken or Duck Wilderness and neither have gas and both have good, small poo. The IG gets canned too to smuggle her heart pills down in.

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

This is the second topic about Blue Buffalo that I've read so far today, and I'm realizing now that I think I'm in the same boat as many of you and might need to switch. Charlie loves the taste of Blue Buffalo, so I never really thought anything of it, but man alive, he can lay some nasty ones!

I'm curious if you and others whose greys have not done well on this brand have tried more than one of the numerous varieties they make. It could be a particular protein that the dog doesn't do well with.

I have the only little family that does well on it apparently! I feed both the 12 yr old IG and the 9 yr old Whippet Blue Freedom Chicken or Duck Wilderness and neither have gas and both have good, small poo. The IG gets canned too to smuggle her heart pills down in.

I've got mine on Blue Buffalo Freedom grain-free chicken and all but Nadir are doing very well on it. No gas and decent stools. Nadir never had gas from it, but his stools were soft, but then again he was having issues to start with when I switched them over.

I've got mine on Blue Buffalo Freedom grain-free chicken and all but Nadir are doing very well on it. No gas and decent stools. Nadir never had gas from it, but his stools were soft, but then again he was having issues to start with when I switched them over.

Mousie, the IG, has softer stool then the Whippet but I attribute that to the canned food. Since it has more moisture it creates more moisture in the poo, same as in a person. It's not bad poo by far, it's formed, relatively easy to pick up although it can tend to squish, but it is softer as the whippie gets only a tiny amount of canned and mostly kibble.

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Looks like I am in the same boat, just switched from Candidae to Blue Buffalo and the gas is bad but.... Max is also just had Eye surgery(Keratotomy) and on meds so kind of waiting to see how it plays out when meds are out of system! So many changes, hard to determine what is what @ this point.

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

• 1 month later...
Guest Beernardo

I Switched mine from Proplan to Blue Buffalo Chicken & Brown Rice and he's had about 5 days of runny poo, (impossible to pick up, milk shake like), After reading this thread http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/287651-what-garbage-kibble-should-i-buy/ I'm thinking on switching either to Kirlkand's (Costco) Chicken and Rice or IAMS. By the way, his farts are horrible.

He wasn't doing too bad on Proplan, sometimes pudding like and sometimes something between pudding like and hard.

Any tips on how to do the transition? cold turkey or over a week? This will be the 3rd food change since we got him 3 weeks ago.

Guest GreytPlains

Rocky was given the blue bag blue buffalo in his foster home and has the same problem plus runny stools. I am switching him to Pro Plan shredded chicken little by little and hope it helps. Poor guy. I think it is just too rich.

If the Pro Plan doesn't work, I will try the ol green bag-seems to work for so many others!

Good luck!

Guest kirstenbergren

I'm feeding my PJ Blue Buffalo Freedom Large Breed Chicken. He loves it! I also give him about 1 cup of plain yogurt everyday. His poops look great and he doesn't stink at all.

Livs had many of the same problems with Blue Buffalo as mentioned -- room clearing farts and runny, runny poo (not fun to clean up on walks...yuck! Husband had to ask homeowner to borrow hose once it was so bad). Adding the yogurt and pumpkin didn't help. Switch food to something else (I forget), didn't help enough, then to SD Lamb and Chicken and she's been fine.

On the other hand, a number of other brands made my cat fat (she's not an overeater, either) and then when I tried Blue Buffalo the weight gain stopped and she even lost a bit and has been maintaining. Gotta find what works for individuals.

Qui me amat, amet et canes meas...et felem.

Olivia (RDs Merrygoround, b. 4/6/07, Gotcha 12/19/11

Chloe (PAR Candice, b. 5/22/08, Gotcha 12/18/12)

My dog is eating the fish and sweet potato, and he NEVER farts. First dog I've ever had that was virtually fartless. However, none of his other foods made him fart either.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck