Newly Adopted And Seems Depressed

Guest ybtc

hey guys me and my girlfriend just adopted a 4 year old brindle male and its only been a week and a half but he just doesnt seem to be happy. he wont play with any of his toys unless its a kong with peanut butter and he pretty much just lays around all day and i'm not really sure what to do to help him get out of the funk, i know everyone says that he'll open up its just quite frustrating that his foster said how great and happy (which he is) and playful he is and we're hoping that its just normal getting used to us. tonight he also got on the couch while my girlfriend was on the couch which hes only done one other time and he started to growl at her pretty intensely and shes feeling a little scared about how he reacted so we're trying to limit him to no furniture except his bed. does anyone have any tips or tricks for us for him to being more comfortable and happy around us? i know we didnt adopt a playful lab or anything but we want to get him back to happy

Guest Mom2Shiloh

hey guys me and my girlfriend just adopted a 4 year old brindle male and its only been a week and a half but he just doesnt seem to be happy. he wont play with any of his toys unless its a kong with peanut butter and he pretty much just lays around all day and i'm not really sure what to do to help him get out of the funk, i know everyone says that he'll open up its just quite frustrating that his foster said how great and happy (which he is) and playful he is and we're hoping that its just normal getting used to us. tonight he also got on the couch while my girlfriend was on the couch which hes only done one other time and he started to growl at her pretty intensely and shes feeling a little scared about how he reacted so we're trying to limit him to no furniture except his bed. does anyone have any tips or tricks for us for him to being more comfortable and happy around us? i know we didnt adopt a playful lab or anything but we want to get him back to happy

First of all, a week is no time at all; a few weeks, a couple months and you'll see the real personality. Secondly, he's almost certainly used to having other Greyhounds around him -- he has for his whole life!! Greyhounds stay with their moms, and then with their siblings, much longer than other breeds who are separated so early. Even though he was fostered, I'm sure the foster family had other Greyhounds -- this is a great culture shock for many of them. Many adjust, some really seem to do better as pairs. I can understand his not playing when in a new house.. this whole playing with toys thing may be pretty new to him -- some greyhounds never do -- and they do lay around a lot-- but especially at first. My Agnes is 10.5, she was a Brood mom after racing, she has been here since October 2009 and she still wouldn't touch a toy if you forced it on her... actually she probably wouldn't touch a kong either :). But, when my boys play running games, she bounces and barks and runs after them -- and keeps up.

This is something I really love that talks about Greyhounds adjusting to being in a home, it was written by the late Kathleen Gilley who Knew her Greyhounds!!

This is an excerpt from a 1998 seminar given by Kathleen Gilley. It bears

remembering.

"What is your new adoptive greyhound thinking?

This breed has never been asked to do anything for itself, make any

decisions or answer any questions. It has been waited on, paw and

tail. The only prohibition in a racing Greyhound's life is not to get

into a fight----------------or eat certain stuff in the turn out pen.

Let us review a little. From weaning until you go away for schooling,

at probably a year and a half, you eat, grow and run around with your

siblings. When you go away to begin your racing career, you get your

own "apartment," in a large housing development. No one is allowed in

your bed but you, and when you are in there, no one can touch you,

without plenty of warning.

Someone hears a vehicle drive up, or the kennel door being unlocked.

The light switches are flipped on. The loud mouths in residence, and

there always are some, begin to bark or howl. You are wide awake by

the time the human opens your door to turn you out. A Greyhound has

never been touched while he was asleep.

You eat when you are fed, usually on a strict schedule. No one asks

if you are hungry or what you want to eat. You are never told not to

eat any food within your reach. No one ever touches your bowl while

you are eating. You are not to be disturbed because it is important

you clean your plate.

You are not asked if you have to "go outside." You are placed in a

turn out pen and it isn't long before you get the idea of what you

are supposed to do while you are out there. Unless you really get out

of hand, you may chase, rough house and put your feet on everyone and

everything else. The only humans you know are the "waiters" who feed

you, and the "restroom attendants" who turn you out to go to the

bathroom. Respect people? Surely you jest.

No one comes into or goes out of your kennel without your knowledge.

You are all seeing; all knowing. There are no surprises, day in and

day out. The only thing it is ever hoped you will do is win, place or

show, and that you don't have much control over. It is in your blood,

it is in your heart, it is in your fate-- or it is not.

And when it is not, then suddenly you are expected to be a civilized

person in a fur coat. But people don't realize you may not even speak

English. Some of you don't even know your names, because you didn't

need to. You were not asked or told to do anything as an individual;

you were always part of the "condo association"; the sorority or

fraternity and everyone did everything together, as a group or pack.

The only time you did anything as an individual is when you schooled

or raced, and even then, You Were Not Alone.

Suddenly, he is expected to behave himself in places he's never been

taught how to act. He is expected to take responsibility for saying

when he needs to go outside, to come when he is called, not to get on

some or all of the furniture, and to not eat food off counters and

tables. He is dropped in a world that is not his, and totally without

warning, at that.

Almost everything he does is wrong. Suddenly he is a minority. Now he

is just a pet. He is unemployed, in a place where people expect him

to know the rules and the schedule, even when there aren't any. (How

many times have you heard someone say, "He won't tell me when he has

to go out." What kind of schedule is that?) Have you heard the joke

about the dog who says, "My name is No-No Bad Dog. What's yours?" To

me that is not even funny. All the protective barriers are gone.

There is no more warning before something happens. There is no more

strength in numbers. He wakes up with a monster human face two inches

from his. (With some people's breath, this could scare Godzilla.) Why

should he not, believe that this "someone," who has crept up on him,

isn't going to eat him for lunch? (I really do have to ask you ladies

to consider how you would react if someone you barely knew crawled up

on you while you were asleep?) No, I will not ask for any male input.

Now he is left alone, for the first time in his life, in a strange

place, with no idea of what will happen or how long it will be before

someone comes to him again. If he is not crated, he may go through

walls, windows or over fences, desperately seeking something

familiar, something with which to reconnect his life. If he does get

free, he will find the familiarity, within himself: the adrenaline

high, the wind in his ears, the blood pulsing and racing though his

heart once again--until he crashes into a car.

Often, the first contact with his new family is punishment, something

he's never had before, something he doesn't understand now,

especially in the middle of the rest of the chaos. And worst of all,

what are the most common human reactions to misbehavior? We live in a

violent society, where the answer to any irritation is a slap, punch,

kick, whip, or rub your nose in it. Under these circumstances,

sometimes I think any successful adoption is a miracle.

He is, in effect, expected to have all the manners of at least a six-

year old child. But, how many of you would leave an unfamiliar six-

year old human alone and loose in your home for hours at a time and

not expect to find who knows what when you got back? Consider that if

you did, you could be brought up on charges of child abuse, neglect

and endangerment. Yet, people do this to Greyhounds and this is often

the reason for so many returns.

How many dogs have been returned because they did not know how to

tell the adopter when they had to go out? How many for jumping on

people, getting on furniture, counter surfing, separation anxiety, or

defensive actions due to being startled or hurt (aka growling or

biting)? So, let's understand: Sometimes it is the dog's "fault" he

cannot fit in. He is not equipped with the social skills of a six-

year old human. But you can help him."

Edited by Mom2Shiloh

Relax. Be yourselves. Enjoy the process. Give him time to adjust. Don't expect too much from him now; he will come around when it feels right to him.

However, be stern and calm - but never angry - about claiming the human space of the house. No furniture privileges until, and only if, you or your girlfriend invite him.

He is in the learning mode right now, and you both are in the teaching mode. (I love this phase, personally, as I am always amazed at how quickly the dog takes direction, learns, and responds!) These dogs are sensitive and smart. They depend on us to give them proper guidance. Everything you are doing now is helping to set the pattern of living together in the future. Celebrate the successes, be consistent, and gently remind the dog what is not acceptable if he gets confused. Have fun!

Just my :2c

Cheryl - "Mom" to RUNNER (Gunnah, born 6/15/2012) and FARGO (Ridin Shotgun, born 8/21/2015). Missing my Grey-Angels HEISMAN (RX Heisman) (3/29/2005-2/1/2016) and ALEX (Bevenly) (4/15/2005-6/7/2018).

Guest lfreem2

I was told by our adoption agency that it could take 6 months to a year for the Grey to adapt to a home fully. I was told that the dog has been in a track environment all it's life and then is trucked across states and ends up in it's first (and potentially many) foster homes. All this is very stressful in a dog. I think you've gotten good advice already.

We've had our Ellie only 6 weeks, and she adapted to our home instantly as if she has lived here her entire life. She adores our kids and waits for them to come off the school bus and attempts to be patient while waiting for her belly rubs. Basically, they enter the door and she's almost already on her back with her legs up in the air! She also seems to be one of those Greys that is perfectly happy being the only dog in the house. I happen to work from home, so Ellie always has someone around for the most part. I have heard innumerable times, however, that though this is not entirely uncommon--that most Greys prefer other greys around them since that is what they are accustomed to. Do you have the capacity to adopt another? My understanding is that this often solves most problems folks experience.

Edited by lfreem2

Guest DragonflyDM

Every day is a new adventure with Boomer. He was ONLY into peanut butter when I first got him. He only just recently decided that there were a few toys he liked. He wouldn’t walk up stairs, walk on tile, sit with the cats, etc. etc.

Every time I turn around he is like a different person…and he will continue to change. Enjoy the ride.

I think nearly all greyhounds look depressed when they first come home. Don't worry about it - it doesn't mean he is unhappy, just that there is an awful lot for him to take in and he's watching, thinking, and learning. Many new greyhounds like to hide away in other rooms a lot of the time, and this is to give themselves a break from all that watching and thinking. ;)

The Kathleen Gilley piece that Mum2Shiloh posted is justly famous. It gets posted a lot here because it is true and gives you a very good idea of how bewildering life is for a newly adopted greyhound. Even if your dog has been fostered, there's still a lot of adjusting to do, and in fact, for some dogs it makes it tougher because they'd just got used to one home (which for all they knew they'd be in forever), when everything changes again and there are new people, and new noises and new rules to get used to.

With regard to the growling, he needs time to get used to you. Probably what's happening is that you are either waking him without warning, or looming over him without even realising it, and this is seen as a threat. He doesn't know you yet, and he has no idea what you're going to do. Try to remember never to lean over him, especially when he's on his bed or the couch (although it's sensible to keep him off the furniture for now). Eye to eye contact is also a bad idea at this stage, although most greyhounds come to love it, once they know and trust you. Whatever you do, don't be tempted to kiss him on the nose, because until he gets used to you, he'll probably snap and someone could get hurt. Trust needs to be earned, and it works both ways. In time, you'll understand each other and then ... well, most greyhounds love to be close to their people and some even love to be hugged and kissed!

As to the stuffies and the kong; stuffies are toys which are played with by happy, relaxed dogs, simply for fun. Kongs, however, satisfy the urge to lick and chew, which are self-calming activities. So, new dogs prefer to chew kongs than to toss stuffies, but that usually changes in time, too! :)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Good advice, silverfish, about not leaning over/on the new dog, and about withholding hugs and kisses at this stage. Those are human habits, not canine, and they can be easily and understandably misinterpreted by the dog.

This reminds me of something very very stupid I did when Alex was new to our household. I tried to take a chewy-bone out of his mouth, and he bit me. Ouch! I was so angry - at myself! - for being such a dum-dum. It was not his fault. He didn't know/trust me yet. Of course he reacted that way. What was I thinking?! I couldn't blame him for defending himself against me-the-aggressor. (Today, I can take stuff out of his mouth if I need/want to, and it is no problem because we trust each other.)

Cheryl - "Mom" to RUNNER (Gunnah, born 6/15/2012) and FARGO (Ridin Shotgun, born 8/21/2015). Missing my Grey-Angels HEISMAN (RX Heisman) (3/29/2005-2/1/2016) and ALEX (Bevenly) (4/15/2005-6/7/2018).

Guest aowam
I was told by our adoption agency that it could take 6 months to a year for the Grey to adapt to a home fully.

Gable seemingly adapted fully the first 3weeks we had him, as if he'd been here all his life. And then....it suddenly hit him that this wasn't just some extended stay vacation and for a little while he was depressed and all the good behavior we saw in him at first suddenly disappeared and he reverted back to day 1. I think he missed the track, the other greyhounds, and kennel life. However, while I think he does remember from time to time, he's gotten adjusted to our routine now and accepted us as his pack. Routine for him is essential.

While it's always easy to say and harder to do, you really do just have to give it some more time. :)

You've pretty much described my dog--who I have had for four years.

Except the couch and growling part!

Way too soon for him to be allowed on the furniture--

Some greyhounds do not play. Some do. Just let him be for now. Don't smother him, but don't ignore him either. Walking is a great way to bond (and he needs to learn leash manners anyway).

Did you do any reading before you adopted a Greyhound? Cause there are some really good and fun books out there about adopting retired Greyhounds! They were mandatory reading with my adoption group!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Relax. Be yourselves. Enjoy the process. Give him time to adjust. Don't expect too much from him now; he will come around when it feels right to him.

However, be stern and calm - but never angry - about claiming the human space of the house. No furniture privileges until, and only if, you or your girlfriend invite him.

He is in the learning mode right now, and you both are in the teaching mode. (I love this phase, personally, as I am always amazed at how quickly the dog takes direction, learns, and responds!) These dogs are sensitive and smart. They depend on us to give them proper guidance. Everything you are doing now is helping to set the pattern of living together in the future. Celebrate the successes, be consistent, and gently remind the dog what is not acceptable if he gets confused. Have fun!

Just my :2c

I think you're 99% correct and the 1% in my opinion is this: they're both in the learning mode. The first few months are the time when both human and dog learn who each other is and learns to respect each other. I know when I first adopted Capri, my first retired racer, she taught me a huge amount. Some things took me a long time to learn and when I finally did, it was sort of a head-slapping moment. (Learning to read her body language was the big one.)

I like the Kathleen Gilley piece, but another way to describe the situation is this: Imagine that suddenly in the middle of the night, some strange people break into your house and kidnap you. They throw you into the back of a dark truck and drive you a long distance. When they finally let you out of the truck, you're in a strange land where the people speak a language you don't know. You don't know what you're supposed to do. Some other strange people take you home with them, and they babble at you all the time in their strange language but you don't understand what they want. Scary, right? This is essentially the retirement process for racing greyhounds. Be patient with him, be loving and calm, but cautious (don't get in his face/space as others mentioned). Be firm about house rules, but gentle.

I also recommend very highly that you use this early time to read Patricia McConnell's books. Specifically "The Other End of the Leash" and "For the Love of a Dog". They are fantastic, easy-to-read books that explain very clearly how your dog thinks and perceives the world and how you can communicate with him. They're not books on training, more dog behavior and psychology. She compares and contrasts human behavior with dogs and explains why we sometimes conflict from misunderstanding each other.

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

It might take a year before his wonderful personality comes out and you can see how lucky you are. It is unbelievable how much they can "change" from the time they first arrive. Just love him and respect him and you will both enjoy the journey. It is very special. The McConnell books above mentioned are very good- I like them too. My first greyt Ivy didn't blossum until after around a year. One day she got up the courage to grab a blanket corner playfully and looked at me with a bark/growl unsure what to expect. I praised her and rejoiced in her "progress"( a big step from staring at walls and the back of furniture) and from there it was like a snowball. She became quite outgoing, won lots of tricks classes, and played with toys and things- all of that was completely out of the question when she first arrived. There are many stories like that.

Everyone else has already said it, but I'll reinforce. He sounds pretty normal for a newly adopted greyhound... or a not so newly adopted greyhound for that matter. But I'd get on top of that growling business. No furniture privileges, and when he does start getting them (not for a few months at least) he needs to be invited up and asked to get off.

We've had Summit for 18 months. He is turning 7 years old in a couple of weeks. He had a home before us for 2.5 years. Fully adjusted from track to home life, right? We were told that he liked toys. He even came with his "favourite teddy bear" which had holes in it and looked pretty beat up. He wouldn't touch a toy. At first I thought it was just adjusting to a new home. But months down the road he still wouldn't look at a toy. I had to actually train him to pick up toys. Now he gets pretty excited when I turn him loose in the yard with a stuffy, but he still rarely picks them up in the house and plays with them on his own.

He was pretty outgoing when we adopted him but now it's like he's never met a stranger. He was affectionate when we got him, but now he greets me every morning and when I get home with tail wagging and muzzle rubbing and leaning, and recently he even started chattering!

They are constantly evolving. The greyhound you have now is not the greyhound you will have in 6 months. The greyhound you have in 6 months is not the greyhound you will have in 6 years.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Sounds pretty normal to me. It takes time. Everyone else has said what I would have said. Congratulations on your new boy! Relax and enjoy him, give him the space and time he needs to get comfortable and he'll be an awesome pet!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Just a couple ideas to add. If he hasn't had a thorough medical checkup, including complete bloodwork (and maybe a thyroid panel), you might consider doing so, if only to rule out a medical cause for his behavior. Things can change after a dog is neutered; change one hormone, it can affect the others.

Second, is it possible to have a visit between him and his former foster at your house? It might be interesting to see if he perks up. I think some of these dogs get depressed when they've been shuffled from track kennel to adoption kennel, to foster home, to forever home, and they don't know when it's going to happen again! And all this amidst being neutered and not feeling quite like themselves. It may also reassure him and give him some sense of stability/security to find that people he has known/loved/trusted haven't disappeared entirely from his world.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Do you know of other greyhound owners in your area? Newly adopted houndies will often perk up when they get to hang out with their kind again. lol.gif If his foster home had other hounds, that may be part of his seeming to be sad.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Haven't read the responses, I'll just make two suggestions. One is to enroll in a basic obedience class that uses positive reinforcement only (look for a class that does clicker training if you can). That will help increase your bond and also give you some tools to deal with issues as they arise.

Second, if there could be only one rule I could enforce for new adopters, it's no furniture privileges until you've taught an "off" cue where the dog will reliably get off the furniture when asked nicely. Then and only then can the dog have furniture privileges. If he growls over space when on the furniture, simply ask him to get off and lay on a bed instead. He'll learn quickly enough that if he wants to stay on the couch, he's going to have to share it. But you need that cue - otherwise, you are setting yourself up for a bad situation.

"Off" is also just about the simplest cue on earth to teach. Dog is on furniture (when you're doing training, you can call him up), say "off" and toss a really high value treat (like cooked chicken or hot dog) onto the floor where the dog can see it. He'll jump off to the get the hot dog and he's automatically rewarded for listening to you. Do short training sessions where you repeat this a bunch of times. When he seems to be getting it, say "off", wait for him to jump down, then immediately reward with the treat. Repeat ad nauseum until it's cemented in his brain. :)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Everyone else has said what needs to be said...but let me add, that all four that have come into our lives adapted differently and at different paces. My most "depressed" was Jack. I spent the first three nights sleeping on the kitchen floor because he refused to be anywhere in the house except the kitchen! And, I certainly could have slept in my bed and I know that he eventually would have made his way out. This is the opposite of EZ who walked in the house and virtually adapted immediately. Of course, at that point, EZ had my Beagle there - and my other two had each other when they came, so Jack was the only one who came to a dog-empty home.....he perked up when EZ and my husband were in town....

The point of that long diatribe is that often, because they are so socialized with other dogs, hounds that are alone take a bit longer to relax and enjoy the new wonderful life that they have.

Be patient and enjoy watching every minute of his progression.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest DragonflyDM

After reading this thread again.. I sort of miss the first days of Boomer when he was quiet and reserved. Now he is comfortable and almost obnoxious around the house (that is the "I never got to be a puppy" phase that will come at some point).

It really is amazing to watch them blossum. Don't give up-- be patient and you will be rewarded.

I haven't read through all of the responses, but in regards to him growling on the couch: a lot of greyhounds have some type of space aggression. They are not used to sharing their space or being disturbed when laying down. Some will grow out of it, some can be corrected with training, and some, like my first boy, will never be able to be 100% trusted. He was not cuddly at all, and even after 7 years, would still occasionally growl at anyone trying to hug, cuddle, or get too close with him while lying down. I had to live with it, and monitor it, and he was not allowed on the human couches or beds.

Until your new boy gets more comfortable, I would not allow him on the couch, and make sure he has a "safe place" like a crate or dog bed in a corner where he will not be disturbed.

Oh, and the laying around, most will sleep 18 - 20 hours per day :nappy

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

Guest mnblewis1

We picked up a new foster a few weeks ago. She had been in a home for 2 years and they couldn't keep her. They told me that she acted more like a puppy than any dog they had ever had. That she loved attention, giving kisses, playing with toys, loved going on walks, would eat anything they put in front of her...... I got her home and she didn't eat or drink a thing for 2 days. She stayed in her crate most of the time. Did not want us to touch her at all, would run the other way. She didn't want to go for walks, I had to chase her to get the leash on. We pretty much ignored her for about a week until she came to us for attention. Now she comes to us frequently for attention, stays out of her crate most of the time, and is eating very well. When I got her leash out yesterday she ran to the door and starting hopping up and down ready to go. They sent her favorite toy that she played with all the time. She has yet to even look at it or any other toys. They used to have to take squeeky toys away from her after she squeeked them so long it drove them nuts. She pays no attention to squeekies here yet. I am not an expert on behavior or anything, but this is just my recent experience with a dog that wasn't acting like I was told she would. She is slowing adjusting to us and we are letting her adjust on her schedule. She is a sweetie but it is taking her time to get used to our house.

Just a couple ideas to add. If he hasn't had a thorough medical checkup, including complete bloodwork (and maybe a thyroid panel), you might consider doing so, if only to rule out a medical cause for his behavior. Things can change after a dog is neutered; change one hormone, it can affect the others.

Also, sometimes stress, such as adoption, can "wake up" tick borne disease. Phoenix was the same as your dog, but he didn't have energy, either. Turned out that he had babesia, which is treatable. Did your dog have a tick panel completed by the adoption group?

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest Roadtripper

Good advice, silverfish, about not leaning over/on the new dog, and about withholding hugs and kisses at this stage. Those are human habits, not canine, and they can be easily and understandably misinterpreted by the dog.

This reminds me of something very very stupid I did when Alex was new to our household. I tried to take a chewy-bone out of his mouth, and he bit me. Ouch! I was so angry - at myself! - for being such a dum-dum. It was not his fault. He didn't know/trust me yet. Of course he reacted that way. What was I thinking?! I couldn't blame him for defending himself against me-the-aggressor. (Today, I can take stuff out of his mouth if I need/want to, and it is no problem because we trust each other.)

I'm not the only one?!? About 3 weeks after I adopted Cairo, my grey puppy (so 2 weeks ago), I tried taking away a chew bone & she bit me. I felt so stupid & embarrassed that I didn't post a thread to ask for advice, but spent hours combing through threads plus reading some books (another vote for the McConnell books!!!). I had arrogantly thought that since she was still a puppy (although @ 6 months, she's getting big), she would let me do whatever I want, even though I hadn't had her long enough to earn her trust. She let me know otherwise!

To the OP, some really helpful advice I found here (I think from Chad in Chicago) was to build trust by hand feeding meals, lots of walks on-leash, and obedience training. I've been doing that for 2 weeks now, and have felt a big improvement in my bond with Cairo (and even my older dog, Boojum--I can really feel us coming together as a pack). The night Cairo bit me, I felt a little scared of her, even though I knew it was all my fault. I followed the hand feeding suggestion later that evening & immediately felt so much better, so maybe if your girlfriend tries this, she won't feel so scared of him. I believe Chad suggested hand feeding for 1 month, but even a week made a difference. If you and your girlfriend do this, go for walks, each do obedience training with him, and keep him off the couch for a bit, I think it could really help. Plus just time & patience as people have said.

Also another vote for positive training methods. I really can't believe how much more sensitive Cairo is compared to other dogs I've had/been around (she's my first full-blooded grey). She shuts down if something alarms her, but is very responsive if I make it fun & use treats & praise.

Good luck! And Congrats! Please post pictures. :)

Amy, Boojum, & Cairo

Edited by Roadtripper

thank you guys so much im sorry i havent been able to respond but ive read all the responses and appreciate them all and weve been working with him to keep him off the furniture and we havent had an incident since

mosley has been doing a lot better since that night and i even got to take him to the fenced in park with some other dogs and he had a blast with some other hounds. hes definitely starting to open up to us and be really comfortable which is wonderful

and heres the big man now :)

6971353970_3274fa00a9.jpg

Mosley the greyhound! by ybtc, on Flickr

Edited by ybtc

So handsome :wub:

And great photo. Looks like you might need to join us in the photography thread in EEG. ;)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."