Adopting A Grey Tomorrow! (Hopefully)

Guest shellbell

Guest shellbell

Hi there, we are adopting our first greyhound tomorrow, well hopefully if there is a good match. I was wondering if you guys have any pointers on 1)choosing a dog at the adoption agency. What are good characteristics to look for?

2) Do you have any pointers on bringing a Greyhound home for the first time? Things you needed that you forgot to buy? Best way to introduce them to the house? I have two small dogs that will be at the adoption center but what is the best way to introduce everyone back at home? Anything else that I may not even be thinking about?

Thanks for your help! We are very excited to adopt of first Greyhound!

Your adoption group should be able to give you some pointers, so make sure you ask them. And most will be in contact after the adoption to help with anything.

Let them know about your lifestyle and how you would like your greyhound to fit into it. The more information and truth you give them, hte better they can help steer you towards the dogs that will fit your life the best. Then just go with your heart. Trust me. You'll know the one.

Muzzles on at home until you are absolutely certain that everyone gets along. This could take a few minutes or a few hours or a few days. Don't let the littles bully the big dog! He'll likely be confused and a bit stressed, so keep everyone calm and under control. Supervise closely so no accidents (not potty accidents, but that too) happen.

bed

food

martingale collar (your dog should come with one)

leash

Those are the most important. Every thing else can be picked up as you need it. You can also search in the Everything Else section here for new dog threads.

Good luck. Pictures are mandatory.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Welcome! Yes, we must have pictures :P Just remember to give your grey time to adjust to your house, routine, dogs and people.

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

Guest shellbell

Yes, I have read a couple of books and have been considering this for quite sometime. I just was wondering if anyone had any tips that they learned when they adopted.

Be sure and mark your glass doors with Post-It Notes or tape that can be seen. He or she may not realize it's glass and try and run through it otherwise.

Congrats!

Patty,

Mom to Jaxson 5/12/2017

Forever in my heart: Joey 11/01/2007 to 12/06/2018, Scout 11/19/2005 to 07/15/15 and Jack 01/03/2004 to 06/11/2011

I would ask as many questions as possible about the dogs individual personality/habits/routine before choosing. It sounds like the dog won't be coming from a foster situation so they might not know a ton about individual dogs. A few questions that come to mind...

Does the dog have any food allergies?

What are you feeding him/her?

Daily turn out times?

Feed times?

Sleep Aggression?

Food Aggression?

Prey Drive?

One thing that has helped when my dog has been introduced to new homes/pets is taking them both on a walk together. That way both are on uncommon ground and they are coexisting in a social activity. The first few weeks I always stuck to keeping my dog in sight if it was not crated. The trick with that was setting him up for success instead of giving him too much freedom and responsibility too soon. If you plan on crating while you are away. Get into alone training right away. It was hard for me to do initially because you get a new dog and just want to love them up. But I think I would have been better off with alone training right away.

That's about all I've got. I'd try to think about what information might help in shortening the adjustment period for your new dog (i.e. food allergies, quirky behaviors). I still talk with the foster parent of my hound about things every so often, I also think they like hearing that the dog is doing well. Good luck and congrats! ;)

Be sure and mark your glass doors with Post-It Notes or tape that can be seen. He or she may not realize it's glass and try and run through it otherwise.

Congrats!

VERY good tip. Even if you have a screen door (like on a sliding glass door), BE SURE to put something on it so they know it's there! I speak from experience, you do not want to go through what we (and sweet Ruby) went through. :(

Edited by rascalsmom

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Congrats on your new grey, nothing to add on what to get, just wanted to let you know I love your name..Shellbelle even though my name is sheila my aunt used to call me shellbelle.

Sheila
Loved by

Mozart, Sherri, Xavier, McCleary, Tigger. Amelia and 2 Salukis Poppy and Zarah

Things I learned:

• whatever bed you buy won't be the right one - make a decision early on about whether they're allowed on your bed and furniture or not.
  • invest in nose plugs - greyhound gas can clear houses never mind rrom.
  • You can never have too many leashes, collars or coats.

Do be very cautious with your other small dogs.

Just because a Greyhound does not react to them when you're at the adoption centre does not mean he will not chase them if they move quickly in your yard.

Once you're home and they are all together outside, his prey drive may kick in.

My Ruby tested 'cat safe' at the kennel, but there is no way she's safe if the small critter starts to run.

She was totally obsessed with small dogs at the dog park....I had to keep her muzzled as she would not leave them alone. I don't know for sure if she would have bitten, but I could not take a chance.

If you have slippery floors (Hardwood/laminate) please buy several rubber backed carpets...they're cheap at Costco....and place them so your new Greyhound does not slip on the floor.

Set up an area to feed your new dog that is well away from your other dogs. Greyhounds have never had to share eating space before.

For the first week, Nixon would not eat unless he was in his crate with the door shut.

Same goes with his sleeping space...he has always been left alone in his crate to sleep.

Baby gates are your friends!

Good luck!!!

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

The good news is that the gas likely won't be that bad forever. Once he/she gets used to the food you feed and the house routine, the gassing is much less.

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

The good news is that the gas likely won't be that bad forever. Once he/she gets used to the food you feed and the house routine, the gassing is much less.

Yes. Then its done more stealthily..... when you least expect it..... when getting romantic with your partner, or stuck in an unventilated car....

Guest Tequila

I'd like to second the suggestion about finding out your new adoptee's daily turn-out times. Greyhounds are very routine-oriented dogs, and you'll want to follow the same bathroom schedule at least for the first few days.

Then, gradually, you can adjust the times to suit your schedule. But keep in mind that your new family member is using to relieving himself/herself at the same times every day.

Good luck, and congrats!!

Kathy

Yes. Then its done more stealthily..... when you least expect it..... when getting romantic with your partner, or stuck in an unventilated car....

Or sleeping with a roaching greyhound near your face. :lol

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Remember that no matter how s/he is the first 2 days, 2 weeks and 2 months s/he will change as she settles in.

Also remember, not all Greys are the same. My Annie Bella has gas only when she has a stomach thing going on (not diarrhea but upset tummy) and the only stomach issue she's had since I adopted her last July occurred this past weekend. It's gone and so is the gas.

Don't be afraid to use your common sense.

Very Important: No matter how small and/or slim your Grey is, she or he can pull you over if you're not prepared, and sometimes if prepared! I am not a skinny minny woman and Annie Bella pulled me over 3 times in the first 4 months I had her -- down to my knees and once flat on my face. The first snow we had, she LOVED it and took off to play in it, with me on the other end of the leash, of course. I can't run 45 MPH :lol :lol so down I went and Annie Bella came to a screeching halt. The solution to that is she is never allowed out the full 6-feet length of her leash so the leverage is more in my favor.

She/he will have diarrhea. Even if the food doesn't cause it, the stress of a new home will.

Not every Grey needs or thrives on high-end, expensive food. Annie Bella does best on rather mediocre-rated Iams Proactive Health Minichunks. I tried a few high-end kibbles and she had diarrhea with them all. On the suggestion of a few people here on GT, I switched to the Iams and good poops abound! :lol

She/he can be taught to walk nicely and pee/poop on a leash. Sitting down is another matter.. :blush Annie Bella won't. She's on her feet or she's laying down. Many Greys do sit. If it's not important to you, don't sweat it if your baby doesn't want to. If it is, there are a lot of suggestions how to teach it here on GT and on other sites.

Good luck!

Some greys sit easier than others. All three of my current greys sit. Two of them just plop their butts on the ground the third is slow and steady about it. But, I do know some greys that don't sit.

Guest Snazzy_Chloe

Loop the middle of the leash thru the eye of the leash and put your hand into this loop to make a slip knot that tightens on your wrist if your hound were to bolt (he may see the squirrel before you do). I normally use a short 4 foot leash, and after this slip knot, I wrap the leash two times around my palm which means that she is walking pretty much at my side which is where I want her. When she needs more slack the two loops upwrap easily to give her more space if needed.

Like others have said, the first two weeks is the big adjustment period, where you will have to deal with the food, and poop issues, your dog may have to learn to do stairs, as well as possible separation anxiety if you are going to have to leave the dog alone while you go to work. It takes a minimum of two straight days of doing come and goes to get the dog ready for the first big workday. I would say - to know where the dog is and what he is doing at all times (make sure he gets taken outside to do his business 5-6 times a day), yet you need to be a little stand-offish at the same time - let the dog approach you to make friends on his terms (which may take some time). He may need a cage to run to in the beginning until he learns to trust the new human owners and the scary big house with unfamiliar sounds that he has been brought home to. These dogs do not like a lot of cuddling at first, nor have they played or know how to play with dog toys. You might give them a small squeeky toy that they can lay next to in their dog bed. The dog will want to sleep in your bedroom so he has company at night. He will need to go outside immediately upon waking in the morning to prevent accidents in the house. After 6 weeks the dog will be trusting you and will be acting more confident, then by 3 months he will be starting to change and by 6 months should be a completely different dog from what first arrived. After a month- 6 weeks it is a good idea for both of you do some obedience training together. Enjoy, and take lots of pictures, remember that these dogs are independent hunters which means that they are intelligent while they are also graceful as well as very athletic creatures (which makes them different from other dogs). Their body language may be very subtle and it is your job to watch and learn their language just as they are learning yours. They will learn yours much quicker- watch them study you as you live your life - they will have you figured out pretty well in a couple of days while we struggle to learn theirs for months.

Anything else that I may not even be thinking about?

A good read pinned in our GT Amber Alert forum: How Not To Become A Member of the Runaways Club by Marcia Herman.

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

Guest Snazzy_Chloe

One more comment I forgot was to keep a consistent routine.

These guys are used to the same things happening at the same time of day - every day. They live on a schedule - the closest you keep to a schedule the less anxious the dog will be. (I am talking basic needs type of things, getting up, eating, walks, potty breaks, food, and bedtime etc.) These guys can tell time, I usually give mine a milkbone around 9PM and at 8:50 they start looking around for me because this has become part of their routine that they are looking forward too.

Welcome to Grey Talk!!

Lots of great advice here, plus you've done your reading.

Love - Don't be afraid to use your common sense!

Please remember to relax and enjoy these early days, like with babies it goes by fast. I think many times we get so wrapped up in the "greyhoundness" that we forget this furry thing is a dog. Enjoy!!!!

Did you get a dog? Where are the pictures?

Edited by foxysmom

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest shellbell

Thanks for everyone's responses. We did end up getting a greyhound. She's a 4yr old from Alabama (we are in Wyoming so that's quite a change!) she is absolutely wonderful! A little timid the first night, just wanted to sleep in her bed. The next day she was slightly more adventurous but mostly wanted to stay in her bed but yesterday she was out and about exploring the yard and running around! She gets along great with our other small dogs. We have taken her on several walks which she has started to love more and more. She's the sweetest dog I have ever been around. I am sold! My husband and I feel so blessed that we got to adopt such a wonderful dog. Thanks again! Here are some pics:

505f6b1b213fa52ae1cb1e85cd508b7c.jpg

572bb675c27c07a0b91d7f10ebb2d030.jpg

Edited by shellbell

Congrats!! Sounds like a nice fit!

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021