Tooth Scaler

Does anyone have one they really like, or suggestions on what type to buy? I've been using the Petzlife gel and brushing because Zuri has build up on a few teeth and i dont want to put him under just for those. It's working, and I'd like to attempt scraping some of the tartar off now that the gel is working. Will just go with something I find on Amazon prime but wanted to check here first.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Kari uses one I believe. :)

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

You may think I'm crazy but I use a butter knife. Isis will lay and just let me pick at the tartar. The others won't let me near them :lol

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest Mom2Shiloh

I've got a set of dental tools that I inherited from my friend Betty back in May of 1999, along with her Greyhound, Sheba. I have used the hoe shaped one. Since Petzlife came along, I use that and I can almost always flick the loosened plaque/tartar off with a finger nail-- you just have to be very careful not to cut the gums or push the plaque up into the gums :( !! One of my vets used to use a set of hemostat clips... (that the right name?) for chipping off tartar in between dentistries,... I've also seen that scratch up gums though, and you're not trying to scratch up the enamel either.

I use the double-ended tooth scaler from Drs. Foster & Smith. I think it was under $10. It has blunt edges so it shouldn't be as apt to scratch the enamel as a sharper tool, but you still want to use a gentle touch.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

If you scale you need to polish! Scaling will actually promote more tarrtar by making microscopic grooves on the enamel of the tooth allowing for more bacteria to adhere to the tooth. I'm not saying not to scale just think you should also polish when your done. You don't need a polisher- placing some polish on a piece of gauze and using your finger will work fine.

If you scale you need to polish! Scaling will actually promote more tarrtar by making microscopic grooves on the enamel of the tooth allowing for more bacteria to adhere to the tooth. I'm not saying not to scale just think you should also polish when your done. You don't need a polisher- placing some polish on a piece of gauze and using your finger will work fine.

I agree. But what I do is just hook the very edge of the tartar and flick it off, without dragging the tool on the tooth. I'm afraid of hurting her enamel or something.

I like the polish idea, though. What kind of polish? The only tooth polish I've ever seen is Pearl Drops. Or is this something I need to get from the vet?

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Your vet should be able to give you some polish-- it will dry out so, it must be either wrapped in Saran wrap or stored in a airtight container. You only need a finger full per use. I'm sure you can also purchase it online too. Comes in different flavors- mint, bubblegum...... I'm sure if you google veterinary prophy paste I'm sure you'll see plenty of options.

Edited by tbhounds

my vet suggested a butter knife or finger nail. i had used his c shaped scaler- the best! i personally don't like the hoe shaped scaler(found on amazon) or the thin scaler that oral b sells in the toothbrush isle. my finger nail- thumb works just fine. i do use the polish that is used on our teeth- only 2-3xs a year. i get my teeth cleaned 2xs a year and my hygienist is really nice and always sends some home for the dogs. a little goes a long way, i place a towel under their head and irrigate w/ water to get the polish out/off. i too use petzlife and find the tarter rubs right off. in the past prior to using it i could get a nice big chip off, stick your nail under the gum and chip away. if it bleeds a rinse w/ peroxide & water on a paper towel works well. there is a pretty good video on youtube that demostrates how to use the hoe shape scaler properly.

Edited by cleptogrey

Are you sure about the polishing? If you can scratch the enamel with a scaler, the polisher isn't going to smooth it. Plus if you could scratch it with a scaler, can you imagine what chewing bones would do to the enamel. Polishing is used to get the last bits left on the teeth and make them feel smooth and silkiy, not to repair scrapes in the enamel, at least that what it did 20 years ago.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Yup- I perform dental prophys almost daily-- cardinal sin not to polish after scaling. The grit in the polish is very fine-the purpose is to remove the microgrooves left behind from the scraper. Of course we use a polishing head but, as I mentioned you can hand polish the areas that were scraped. You just need a quick swipe on the affected tooth-- it's no different than when your teeth are polished after your cleaning.

I agree. But what I do is just hook the very edge of the tartar and flick it off, without dragging the tool on the tooth. I'm afraid of hurting her enamel or something.

This is what I was hoping to do. I was able to get one large bit off one canine with my nail, but I haven't been able to do it again since, especially with the smaller teeth next to the canines. Plus I really really dislike the feeling of scraping with my nail. :)

It's just those couple of teeth that have the thicker build up that I'm hoping to do this with. The few other teeth seem to be gradually improving quite nicely with the Petzlife and brushing and the teeth in the side/back of his mouth are pristine from his raw diet.

By the way, I started taking photos periodically to track the progress since I know a lot of people ask about whether Petzlife is worth the money. I'll post them later once everything is hopefully taken care of.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

cardinal sin not to polish after scaling.

Absolutely!

I've seen dog teeth that were scaled but not polished. They build up even more plaque, even more quickly. Not something you want to happen at the gumline especially.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.