Preventic Collars

Hi everyone,

Does anyone here use the Preventic collar? We used the advantage multi which does not cover tics. We are heading to an area where we will encounter a lot of tics this weekend. Vet said Preventic collar.

What does the jury say? ;)

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I LOVE Preventic collars. They were the only thing that eliminated our horrendous tick issue last fall. We had ticks everywhere. Outside. Inside. On the dogs. On us. eek.gif It was totally gross and disgusting, but once the collars went on the dogs the ticks just disappeared. Plus my DH treated the potty yard with a very expensive tick killer. Shop around your local vets as prices can vary quite a bit. I put brand new ones on our dogs last Thursday before we headed up to Jekyll Island, GA for Sandy Paws. The island is just full of ticks and we saw a lot of them. We found several on our dogs, but they were just crawling on their coats and none attached themselves.

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest WhiteWave

I have used them. I get the biggest size, I think 25" and cut them down if needed b/c I do have some dogs w/ big necks.

If we are going to go hiking or somewhere were I know there are ticks, I would put them on the night before, leave them on that day and take them off the next day and put in ziplock bag until next time. The amitraz spreads thru the oils like the spot ons do so you have to give it time to spread all over the dog. So far, never had a problem on any of my dogs even the very sensitive ones.

Right now I'm just using Advantix on the big dogs and I did find a tick on Ronon 2 days ago, but it was already dead and it been a little over a month since last application and it still working. But the small dogs take Comfortis due to flea allergies so we use the preventic collars on them when needed.

Thamks all. Going to pick some up.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I leave the Preventic collars on 24/7. We haven't had any issues. If I buy Revolution from my vet,i get the collars free. So it's worth looking into that option as well. I was very happy with the combo.

Edited by Sambuca

Preventic collars are great. However, like anything, some dogs are more sensitive to them. My old dog, a mutt, got very sick when I put one on him. He was fine when I took it off, but it was very dramatic.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Preventic collars are great. However, like anything, some dogs are more sensitive to them. My old dog, a mutt, got very sick when I put one on him. He was fine when I took it off, but it was very dramatic.

Good point. I'll try one on all three dogs and see what happens.

My vet really put the brakes on using them. She strongly urges not to use them as she feels they are just loaded with bad stuff (my words, not hers!).

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest mariah

Anyone using preventic collars on their hounds with kitties in the house??

Wondering this also. And I had heard that you shouldn't use the flea collars on GHs, so I'm surprised to learn that the tick collars are ok? Would someone care to enlighten me? I have never had any luck with the other tick preventatives like Advantix, so I'm on the lookout for something that works. I have a feeling this is going to be a bad year for ticks. I found 4 of them on Gussie after our walk yesterday!

My vet really put the brakes on using them. She strongly urges not to use them as she feels they are just loaded with bad stuff (my words, not hers!).

Same here.

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

We've used them for a couple of years now and like them. I wonder if there is a distribution issue, though, because I had a hard time finding them in stock online and my vet stopped carrying it.

For those of you thinking about combining Preventic with Frontline (and those with cats) -- look into Certifect. It's a topical, and is basically Frontline + Amitraz (the active ingredient in Preventic). I spoke with a local vet about it and he said it's safe for households with dogs and cats (though you shouldn't ever apply it to a cat). I haven't tried it yet, but we might switch.

sig_border.jpg
Always missing our angel Lucy, a four year osteo survivor.

Everything I can find on vet forums (VIN), including feedback from toxicologists, indicate that using Preventic collars in households with cats is not a problem, unless the cat actually ingests the collar, or if you put it on the cat. Same with the topicals that include permethrin (K9 Advantix) or amitraz (Certifect). Cats will not be exposed to enough of the chemical through casual contact to cause toxicity. If the cat grooms the dog, I wouldn't allow contact while the topical is still wet, and you definitely don't want to accidentally apply any of these products to the cat.

Flea collars and tick collars are totally different. Most OTC flea collars are not effective and expose dogs to needless chemicals. The Preventic collar actually seems to work pretty well, and while amitraz is far from a benign chemical, the amount used in the collar is fairly low. Many vets may have a negative association with amitraz because they are more familiar with it in the form of Mitaban dips (used to treat demodex), which is a more concentrated form. I believe the amount of amitraz in Certifect is even lower than the amount in Preventic collars, which is why Certifect doesn't repel ticks. Certifect still relies on fipronil (the active ingredient in Frontline) to kill the ticks, and the small amount of added amitraz just makes the ticks detach and be more active, so they are exposed to more fipronil and die faster.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest mariah

Everything I can find on vet forums (VIN), including feedback from toxicologists, indicate that using Preventic collars in households with cats is not a problem, unless the cat actually ingests the collar, or if you put it on the cat. Same with the topicals that include permethrin (K9 Advantix) or amitraz (Certifect). Cats will not be exposed to enough of the chemical through casual contact to cause toxicity. If the cat grooms the dog, I wouldn't allow contact while the topical is still wet, and you definitely don't want to accidentally apply any of these products to the cat.

Flea collars and tick collars are totally different. Most OTC flea collars are not effective and expose dogs to needless chemicals. The Preventic collar actually seems to work pretty well, and while amitraz is far from a benign chemical, the amount used in the collar is fairly low. Many vets may have a negative association with amitraz because they are more familiar with it in the form of Mitaban dips (used to treat demodex), which is a more concentrated form. I believe the amount of amitraz in Certifect is even lower than the amount in Preventic collars, which is why Certifect doesn't repel ticks. Certifect still relies on fipronil (the active ingredient in Frontline) to kill the ticks, and the small amount of added amitraz just makes the ticks detach and be more active, so they are exposed to more fipronil and die faster.

Very helpful information, thanks!

Guest 8fleetfeet

Regarding Preventic collars and distribution problems: Yes, there does seem to be a problem--I'm guessing that part of the problem is the mild winter that so many of us had (I saw ticks all winter long here in Mass.). This means that we're seeing more ticks earlier in the season than usual and running out to buy our redmedies. Anyway, most places that I searched online for Preventic collars are out and won't have them until middle or late April. I did, however, find them in stock at Jeffers Pet:

http://www.jefferspet.com/

Guest mariah

Regarding Preventic collars and distribution problems: Yes, there does seem to be a problem--I'm guessing that part of the problem is the mild winter that so many of us had (I saw ticks all winter long here in Mass.). This means that we're seeing more ticks earlier in the season than usual and running out to buy our redmedies. Anyway, most places that I searched online for Preventic collars are out and won't have them until middle or late April. I did, however, find them in stock at Jeffers Pet:

http://www.jefferspet.com/

I just bought one off Amazon, and there are still some available, but looks like they are going fast!