Preventic Collars

Guest 8fleetfeet

Hi everyone,

Does anyone here use the Preventic collar? We used the advantage multi which does not cover tics. We are heading to an area where we will encounter a lot of tics this weekend. Vet said Preventic collar.

What does the jury say? ;)

My Preventic collars came in the mail today, and I put them on the dogs a few hours ago. I'll be watching to see how well they work (at least compared to the Frontline Plus that I was using) and if there are any adverse effects. I did notice that a couple of hours after I put them on, I saw one tick (one on each dog) walking around on the very surface of their fur, like there was something about my dogs that they didn't like. This was after we had come home from our walk and I had removed four ticks (not attached) from the dogs with a flea comb. It does, however, say on the insert with the Preventic collars that they take 24 hours to start working.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm most likely going to buy the Preventic collar for Twiggy. We don't have ticks in the city (maybe this year will be different though), but I take her to my parents' house in the woods, so she'll need prevention there.

She's never gotten a tick there before, but as my vet says, "she'll be toast" if she gets a tbd now since she's got osteo and on oral chemo, so it's better safe than sorry.

My question: Twiggy's already on Sentinel for heartworm, flea & intestinal parasite control. Her vet is recommending Frontline Plus & Preventic collars in addition to this. Do I really need the Frontline Plus since she already gets Sentinel?

My other question is where would I apply the Frontline, since she no longer has a "spot between the shoulder blades" - as her left front leg/shoulder was amputated. Could I put it in the "divot" a little lower down on her back?

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

My question: Twiggy's already on Sentinel for heartworm, flea & intestinal parasite control. Her vet is recommending Frontline Plus & Preventic collars in addition to this. Do I really need the Frontline Plus since she already gets Sentinel?

The only thing Sentinel does for fleas is to prevent eggs from hatching if your dog picks up fleas somewhere. It doesn't kill the adult fleas, and is essentially just a flea 'birth control.' So whether you still need the Frontline depends on how likely you think she is to pick up fleas.

My other question is where would I apply the Frontline, since she no longer has a "spot between the shoulder blades" - as her left front leg/shoulder was amputated. Could I put it in the "divot" a little lower down on her back?

The exact placement really isn't all that critical, as long as it's on the skin. I would just apply it in the same general area, finding a spot that's level enough it won't run off.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

What chemical is used on these collars? I don't have a huge tick problem here, but the deer flies drive us nuts! Do they repell those to? :huh

They're tick collars. I doubt the same sort of things that repel crawling bugs would work on flying bugs.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

We switched from Frontline to the preventic collar for ticks about a month ago. So far, so good. We leave it on 24/7. And, we use Trifexis for heart worms and fleas.