Eye Issue...

The white on the outside of my Bella's eye is sort of bulging out, it's simply sticking out...she doesn't seem to be in pain, thoughts? I'm freaking out, I don't do good with eye issues...if I get an eyelash in mine I panic :(

Greyhound Collars : www.collartown.ca

Maggie (the human servant), with Miss Bella, racing name "A Star Blackieto"

13380965654_dba9a12b29.jpg

The white on the outside of my Bella's eye is sort of bulging out, it's simply sticking out...she doesn't seem to be in pain, thoughts? I'm freaking out, I don't do good with eye issues...if I get an eyelash in mine I panic :(

If it doesn't seem to be bothering her, I would leave, at least for now. Keep an eye on it and if it changes or gets bigger, then maybe consider vet. Other than that, I don't have any advice - hard not to worry I know!

My boys, together again...

cedarlodge2010027_zpsc250b3bf-1_zps9f4d4

A hui hou kakou, my loves

Can you get a picture of it?

Anything like this?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Can you get a picture of it?

Anything like this?

No, it's big in the sense that it looks swollen, like sticking out of the eye, but only slightly about 1mm...just looks different than the other eye.

Good thoughts your way.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Our horse doc taught me years ago that some stuff is ok to wait on, but eyes are not in that category. Without seeing Bella's eye, I'm inclined to say that she should be seen. :dunno Good healing thoughts coming your way and please let us know how she is.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Re-wrote this a couple times because I don't want to alarm you, but Bella should see a vet as soon as she can. Hours can make a big difference in treating eye issues. It may be something innocuous and I hope it is, but that's not worth taking a chance on. Please keep us posted.

:dunno

and

:goodluck it doesn't happen again.

We've had extreme winds today too.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

So glad that Bella's eye has returned to normal. I have no idea if wind/dirt could cause what you saw. Not an emergency, but it would still be worth having her eye pressure checked and talking with her vet soonish.

Without seeing it, it's hard to say; but I have had some eye allergy issues where the whites of my eyes would swell up (like water under the surface of the eye). This sounds a lot like what you are describing, especially since you were walking out in the windy weather. You did say that it didn't seem to bother her, though and mine would itch like crazy, and the more I rubbed them, the worse it got, so I had to resist itching them.

Maybe a Benadryl would have helped? (that worked for me). Good to hear that it's back to normal.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

As others have said, eyes are not something you want to leave to chance. Swelling of the eye can be simple allergies, but can also be a sign of a dangerous condition called glaucoma - this is why some of the others recommended eye pressure checks.

Glaucoma is painful and can blind a dog in hours if not treated promptly, because it can permanently damage the optic nerve.

We can talk around issues and give you the benefit of our collective experiences, but most of us are not vets, or even vet techs. And without even a picture, what you're describing could be almost anything. :dunno

Anyway, I hope she's fine now, and stays fine!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

How's Bella's eye today?

100% a-ok! I think it was the wind, just too windy to be walking around in the city. Next time I'm going to take her into a near by forest to take a walk, it's insane how much less windy it is in there.

Thanks Nancy and all :)