Joe Barfed Something Vile.

:sick :sick :sick :sick

Ok, the bathroom door is supposed to be shut, but it wasn't. I'd love to blame my husband, but I think it was me. After our walk (he pooped twice), Joe horked up 3 tampons that he must've gotten 2 nights ago. I'm just back from x-rays at the vet. She says there a "bubble" she's concerned about -- he may have another one in there. Joe's really wobbly from the sedation (he wouldn't let them roll him over, so they gave him Torbugesic (I know it's a narcotic, but am clueless beyond that). Joe's going to stay there for a few hours and sleep it off. I didn't want him to have to deal with Miss Brees while he's whacked out. Vet says no food for 24 hours, and then if he barfs after eating, more x-rays. She also mentioned that the e-vet could do an ultrasound, and then we'd know for sure if there's anything funky in there. I'm toying with the idea of just taking him for the ultrasound, and wishing I'd known that was an option to begin with. What do you think?

He was acting just fine all morning, except for the vomiting, and was just thrilled to be at the vet's.

Here are the x-rays:

221e07c6.jpg

3c48c8eb.jpg

I think I would want the ultrasound, but like you I would be here asking for second opinions. Hopefully, some of the people who have been through similar issues will chime in shortly.

Fingers crossed for Joe.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Ugh, poor Joe! Never had this happen with a dog, but our cat will try to eat things like string, tinsel, etc. and that stuff can wreak havoc on the intestines. So even if it doesn't cause a blockage, I would be most worried about the string :sick. If it were my dog, and he threw up again I would forgo more x-rays and just opt for the ultrasound.

I just talked to the vet's office. They said he's doing fine and to pick him up in an hour. No more vomiting (it was just the once, at home). I'll talk to the actual vet when I get him. She didn't seem too worried when I was there, so I'm probably freaking out for no good reason. I do that regularly! :rolleyes: On the other hand, he's got insurance, and the e-vet isn't that far. Maybe I'll just take him so I can sleep tonight.

I should've gotten a fish.

I ditto the ultrasound, but not the emergency vets. Make an appt at VSEC or CARES. Both are in Langhorne, Pa. If it's an appt, it'll be cheaper.

I've used VSEC (Veterinary Specialty and Emergency Center) when it was in the old building, but I haven't seen their new and improved fancy facilities. But I was happy with their doctors.

Wishing you all the best!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest jettcricket

What an odd thing to eat. Feel better buddy!

Not really....my Cricket, if I wasn't careful, would pull out my kotex's from the bathroom. I know it's gross, but it's something about the blood that they like. :puke It's like some dogs know when a women is menstruating.

Hope your boy resolves his tummy issues.....

I just picked him up and he seems ok. He peed and pooped (poop was, um, fuzzy) as soon as we left the vet. A vet, not the one who examined him, said they both thought he'd be fine. Said to feed a small amount tomorrow morning very early, another bit right before work, and a bit more at lunch. Water in small amounts tonight. If no vomiting, then he's alright. If he pukes, bring him in. I think in that case, or if he seems at all uncomfortable, we'd go right to one of the fancier places.

Joe put himself right to bed when we got home. He's a little subdued, but not panting like he was right after they gave him the Torbugesic. Told my boss I'm not sure if I'm going to work or how long I'm staying.

I'm still feeling like I should take him somewhere for a better look -- but the vets seem really comfortable with "wait and see". The vet we saw this morning is the owner, and daughter of the founder. She's good. I know I'm a total worrywart. So :dunno

Thank you for all the advice and good wishes!

I have found :puke tampons in the yard --- no, I didn't miss the waste basket,,,,,, :blink: one of the dogs got it-- ate it,,, and pooped it out! :blink:

so ,, you just might still find out what's in there.

Hope he is feeling better soon!

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Guest verthib

Uh huh. Angus loves my used pads. I moved the garbage can to the cabinet under the sink. I was getting tired of finding him 'enjoying' them. Plus I didn't want him to swallow them. A little gross.... :lol

just so you know such a thing happened here. I had a Bichon that used to raid the trash for that delicacy too. One day I came home from work and she was straining to poop and not producing. When I looked I saw that her hiney was 'bulging' and there was a string coming from it and suspecting the worst I rushed her to the vet. The vet examined her and then got out the clippers and shaved off the matted ball of poop covering her poop spot. The string? It was a piece of grass. Yup, I spent a weeks worth of beer and cigarette money to have the vet shave a wad of poop off my dogs butt......

just so you know such a thing happened here. I had a Bichon that used to raid the trash for that delicacy too. One day I came home from work and she was straining to poop and not producing. When I looked I saw that her hiney was 'bulging' and there was a string coming from it and suspecting the worst I rushed her to the vet. The vet examined her and then got out the clippers and shaved off the matted ball of poop covering her poop spot. The string? It was a piece of grass. Yup, I spent a weeks worth of beer and cigarette money to have the vet shave a wad of poop off my dogs butt......

:lol :lol :lol

I feel better, but I'm not out of beer yet!