Walking 2 Dogs

My housemate is houndsitting for his ex-wife while she travels for a job interview. I got the idea to walk both Magic and Peachy at the same time.

Peachy is used to walking with another hound (Amelia went to the Bridge last week) but Magic is not and I'm not used to walking 2 at a time.

This evening I walked both and did fine. I started off with Magic in my right hand (I'm right handed) and Peachy in my left. As soon as we got out the door, they were tangled so I had to switch. After we got going, of course, each one sometimes had to sniff in a different direction. After the initial tangle, they did fine.

Do any experts have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Carol, missing Magic (1/5/01 - 4/15/15) but welcoming Fuzzy's Joy Behar (Joy) into my life on 5/31/15.

My housemate is houndsitting for his ex-wife while she travels for a job interview. I got the idea to walk both Magic and Peachy at the same time.

Peachy is used to walking with another hound (Amelia went to the Bridge last week) but Magic is not and I'm not used to walking 2 at a time.

This evening I walked both and did fine. I started off with Magic in my right hand (I'm right handed) and Peachy in my left. As soon as we got out the door, they were tangled so I had to switch. After we got going, of course, each one sometimes had to sniff in a different direction. After the initial tangle, they did fine.

Do any experts have any suggestions?

Thanks.

when i walk two, i usually walk with both leashes in one hand, so theyre both right next to one another. i dont know if this is a remnant from their track lives, or it reminds them of racing, but whenever i do that, they quickly sort themselves so they are basically walking in unison right next to one another. i hardly notice im walking two until i need to change directions. the first few walks with them were a little iffy, but once they got the hang of it, its been super easy.

Edited by jaym1

I walk 4 at a time I loop (leash looped try strap to form a loop that is the loop I put hand thru). This way they are always securely attached and I can be hands free if needed. The leashes do braid up but I just stop & untangle if too twisted

Edited by jamngrey

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08

I slide my entire right hand/wrist...up to my forearm...right through the loops of all leashes.

Then I grab the leashes with my left hand, placing the two dogs on my left side and off we go.

None of mine are spooks or bolters, but this way, the leashes are 'attached' to me with my arm through the loops, and held in my hand.

Now I'm taking three dogs, I still have my right hand/arm through all three loops.

I hold Nigel & Ruby's leashes in my right hand and lace them on my right side and grab Nixon's leash in my left and he walks on the left.

They all walk along just fine like this.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I use four foot leashes instead of six foot leashes when I walk both dogs by myself. Walking two seems so much easier to me on those shorter leashes.

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

2 leashes in right hand, usually the loop is around my wrist.

hold leashes w/ left hand- each leash is laced inbetween 2 fingers, like a horse's rien- keeps leashes from tangleing

shorten or lengthen leads as needed w/ right hand

dogs are on the left(learned that in obedience)

Guest jbbuzby

I do one in each hand, as you did, but it sounds like every one is different. I like it this way because they can't get tangled so easily (I only give each hound 2 feet of leash or so any way), and they don't cause tension on each other. I don't allow them to criss-cross either, and this way, if one needs to go to the bathroom, it's pretty clear...at least with my guys!

Guest verthib

I have two dogs and to get them to pee and poop I can't have them walking right together the whole time. I have a leash where it's one leash in my hand but about a foot down it splits in two and those pieces are about 4 ft each. So they can go apart and do their business but I'm still holding one leash. I use the other hand to pick up the poop or whatever. The split is a swivel so they never tangle.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

You have to walk the dogs, not the other way around. They should not be allowed to switch sides (unless you dont mind). If they start to wander back and forth, simply hold the leash closer to their collar.

We have two different walks, the walk when we are out at events where they need to eliminate quickly, and the walk around the neigborhood to check out the pee-mail. When it is a walk for elimination, they go where I want them to. I have also associated #1 & #2 with words, so they tend to understand and eliminate on command (actually within about 10 seconds or so of the command). If we are going for a nice walk, then I let them switch sides, go wherever they want.

Guest verthib

I don't understand how dog's can be *stuck* together and go pee and poop comfortably. My two don't like to poop with the other one glued to them. I tried using that advice and this morning it took me FIFTY minutes to get them to potty with the other one right by their side. I just don't have the time for that before work. That's why I let them cross in front of me to find the right spot, particularly if I'm in a hurry. If I try to "make them go where I want them to" they'll just stand there forever. Plus for me, the whole point is that it's "their" walk. I want them to enjoy it. I get to go out in the world and go places at will. This is their opportunity to leave the yard and leave the house and explore with new smells and go to the bathroom where they want to (within reason of course). I was so frustrated this morning trying to get them to stay next to each other. And they were stressed. It just wasn't worth it.

I don't understand how dog's can be *stuck* together and go pee and poop comfortably. My two don't like to poop with the other one glued to them. I tried using that advice and this morning it took me FIFTY minutes to get them to potty with the other one right by their side. I just don't have the time for that before work. That's why I let them cross in front of me to find the right spot, particularly if I'm in a hurry. If I try to "make them go where I want them to" they'll just stand there forever. Plus for me, the whole point is that it's "their" walk. I want them to enjoy it. I get to go out in the world and go places at will. This is their opportunity to leave the yard and leave the house and explore with new smells and go to the bathroom where they want to (within reason of course). I was so frustrated this morning trying to get them to stay next to each other. And they were stressed. It just wasn't worth it.

If your way works for you then go for it. People are giving ideas for the original poster. It wasn't so that others would argue and question "how do you do that?"

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest verthib

If your way works for you then go for it. People are giving ideas for the original poster. It wasn't so that others would argue and question "how do you do that?"

I wasn't arguing at all. It's baffling to me. My tone was more as frustration not trying to be argumentative. I wish my dogs could walk together and successfully 'go' but it's not working. My husband just started a new job do I'm on my own in the mornings and trying to get them to potty is time consuming. I'm hoping as time goes on they'll learn the routine and just go.

It took me a while to figure out how to walk 2 as well. When getting out of the house and when needing a free hand, I put two on one wrist and then as we start walking i usually like to keep one on one wrist and one on the other. When they tangle or "cross lines" I switch hands (which some days happen a lot!) They generally do like to sniff and do their own thing in different directions and I find this method works best. The movement of one will not affect the other/vise versa, especially if one gets excited and bolts! This also helps when one dog wants to do #2 and the other is waiting because I don't want anyone near the other when #2 is done to prevent any stepping in poop!

I have added a caribiner to one leash to secure poop bags to, so I'm not juggling poop and switching the leashes to other hands at the same time.

On days that I'm rushed or it's really cold out, because Kasey is a friggin' princess, I take them separately - sometimes it really is just faster that way. I hate dragging Ryder along when he's done his business and I'm just waiting for Kasey to do his thing, and poor Ryder is freezing and waiting or better yet, getting drenched in rain. Ryder is a quick business do-er so it just works that way more efficiently sometimes. To each their own!

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

I walk with one in each hand, and yes i have become very good at switching hands :) I sometimes walk them both in one hand, but as one of mine is aggressive to other dogs and both are very high prey drive, i cannot do that all the time, I need to have all of one arm strength to hold tight to each. If they do go after something and are next to each other they inevitable snap at each other and skin tears happen.

I found the 5 foot leash makes it a LOT easier, that and practice :)

Thanks for the suggestions. My housemate told me there was no need to clean up after them unless one poops in a high-traffic areas. I'll have to try both in one hand and see what happens.

I forgot to mention that once we got started both just walked along like we've been doing it forever. Peachy is used to being walked with another dog but Magic isn't but he did very well. It probably helps that they are both older (11) and neither has any prey drive.

Carol, missing Magic (1/5/01 - 4/15/15) but welcoming Fuzzy's Joy Behar (Joy) into my life on 5/31/15.

I slide my entire right hand/wrist...up to my forearm...right through the loops of all leashes.

Then I grab the leashes with my left hand, placing the two dogs on my left side and off we go.

None of mine are spooks or bolters, but this way, the leashes are 'attached' to me with my arm through the loops, and held in my hand.

Now I'm taking three dogs, I still have my right hand/arm through all three loops.

I hold Nigel & Ruby's leashes in my right hand and lace them on my right side and grab Nixon's leash in my left and he walks on the left.

They all walk along just fine like this.

Exactly nod.gif

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest verthib

Thanks for the suggestions. My housemate told me there was no need to clean up after them unless one poops in a high-traffic areas. I'll have to try both in one hand and see what happens.

Even if it's not a high traffic area for people I ALWAYS pick up their poop. There are other people with dogs that might come along, or even me because we use a lot of the same routes and potty spots. I think it's just the considerate thing to do. I even purchased dog poop disposal bag stations for my neighborhood to encourage more people to pick up their dog's poop. There's nothing worse than stepping in it or having my dogs step in it. It's actually considered littering in my town.

Even if it's not a high traffic area for people I ALWAYS pick up their poop. There are other people with dogs that might come along, or even me because we use a lot of the same routes and potty spots. I think it's just the considerate thing to do. I even purchased dog poop disposal bag stations for my neighborhood to encourage more people to pick up their dog's poop. There's nothing worse than stepping in it or having my dogs step in it. It's actually considered littering in my town.

Just to clarify, where we walk is my housemate's property and where we walk isn't used much. By high-traffic I mean near parts of the property where we go like the wood pile or the clothes line or the garden or along the area adjacent to the neighbor's property. If I'm in a public area like a park or a neighborhood with sidewalks, I always clean up. In fact, all of Magic's leashes have a poop bag container attached to them.

On I-phone so apologies for typos.

I feel your pain. For the first month or so of ownership it would sometimes take Brandi especially anything from 1.5 to 2 hours to go. When Paige arrived it got a bit faster but for some reason the last pee before bed would take 30-45 minutes.

It just took time, and now we usually have success within the first five minutes of our walks and at night it takes more time to leash them up and find my shoes than it does for them to pee.

I've a feeling it's like with horses. If you plan for something to take five minutes, it will take an hour, plan an hour, it will take five minutes.

I wasn't arguing at all. It's baffling to me. My tone was more as frustration not trying to be argumentative. I wish my dogs could walk together and successfully 'go' but it's not working. My husband just started a new job do I'm on my own in the mornings and trying to get them to potty is time consuming. I'm hoping as time goes on they'll learn the routine and just go.

Guest verthib

Just to clarify, where we walk is my housemate's property and where we walk isn't used much. By high-traffic I mean near parts of the property where we go like the wood pile or the clothes line or the garden or along the area adjacent to the neighbor's property. If I'm in a public area like a park or a neighborhood with sidewalks, I always clean up. In fact, all of Magic's leashes have a poop bag container attached to them.

Ahhh that makes sense! Now I have to figure out how to carry two poop bags (full of poop) and two leashes while letting them poop/pee and switching hands with the leashes. Someone mentioned using a caribeener, but I am wondering how that would work. I was thinking of putting on a fanny pack and putting the poop bags in there and then dumping them when I get home.... Ahhhh the joys of poop!

Edited by verthib

I walk with two dogs (and have done three) and carry both leashes in the left hand (I am right handed). They do eventually learn which side is theirs and mostly stick to them unless one found a great sniffing spot. I also carry the used poop bags in that hand (unless an poop is imminent for Monty then it is in my empty right hand - his I catch because it can be "unpickupable" and we walk in the neighborhood). My right hand is free to grab either leash and steer or encourage movement or to grab "sniffle tissues" as needed.

Guest sirsmom

If it's really bad weather, i will take them out separately. If one shows she wants no part of the weather that day and tries to pull me back to the house, the other one then does too without pottying, so separate is easier but if it's nice, I just do one in one hand and one in the other and they do fine. They are used to this. So it just depends on you and your dogs and what works best. I tried 2 in one hand and it didn't work for potty because one of mine has to circle around many times first.