Is She Reacting To Something? Or Worse?

Guest Ross_a_Roo

Guest Ross_a_Roo

Downy got up just now and as she walked around she got less and less easy on her feet, her movements started getting jerky and she started moving her head up and down like a puppy trying to figure out depth perception. I'm really worried. She started acting like she had straight, wooden legs and laid down in a very odd place suddenly like her legs aren't working properly and they wouldn't support her anymore. She wouldn't even crawl 1 ft to where our mattress is on the floor right next to her.

We pulled her up to the middle of the bed and hubby is snuggling with her and she is just resting, but when she lifts her head its like she can't see very well b/c she keeps moving her head like i described earlier.

I thought about calling a puppy hotline that we have with our local pet shop. This lady knows her dogs and illnesses and is available around the clock on this hotline. Hubby said wait. Do you agree?

I'm scared b/c I don't know of any good websites to look for illnesses by searching symptoms for dogs, much less greyhounds. Does Downy need immediate attention by a vet? Is this an allergic reaction? something with a home remedy? Any and all help would be appreciated!

Edited to add:

Downy is 8.5yrs old. We've had her for two weeks now. She's getting spayed on the 27th. The only issue we've had with her is she makes a pee spot inside once a day. I marked that as needing more house training. She had a UTI, we gave her meds for a week, her pee cleared up, she's been fine for a couple days. We were over at my grandparents for christmas, she might have gotten a hold of food or something she's allergic to, but we were watching her closely practically the whole time, tho she did have a chance to sneak to the other room to potty on the floor even tho she'd been out the hour before.

Edited by Ross_a_Roo

It sounds kind of neurological to me based on the symptoms you describe but I'm no vet. Has she been up and about since you posted? I suggest doing the standard things like checking her temperature, check her gums to see if they are nice a pink.

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest Ross_a_Roo

It sounds kind of neurological to me based on the symptoms you describe but I'm no vet. Has she been up and about since you posted? I suggest doing the standard things like checking her temperature, check her gums to see if they are nice a pink.

I wouldn't know how to check her temperature besides feeling if her ears are cold or not... I'll look at her gums.

She feels like a normal temp and her gums are nice and pink...

Temperature by rectal thermometer; should be @ 101.

If she's still having the problem I'd get her to the vet now.

Sending best wishes for your girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Ross_a_Roo

We don't have any special thermometer. Does it matter what kind?

She also is breathing quickly and shallowly. I don't think it's normal. It sounds like she's about to break out panting but she doesn't.

Sounds neurological to me & I'd get her to the vet unless all symptoms are already gone. If she is back to completely normal now I might hold off but would at least call my vet to report the problem. If the episode repeats anytime in the next week or so I would cart her to vet ASAP. Also, try getting some of it on video. That way if symptoms do resolve by the time you get to vet they can at least see what you are talking about.

Good luck. Hope all is well very soon.

PS Buy a thermometer just for the dogs so you can take their temp. Its not hard to do & a time will come when you are glad you can do that.

Guest Ross_a_Roo

Well, the stores are closed... I don't know when this morning they'll open, but I think I will see if she'll get up and get some water. So maybe if she's having the symptoms I can record it and drive her to the vet.

As kudzu says, buy a thermometer you can reserve for the dogs' use ... but it's just a people thermometer that you'll buy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Ross_a_Roo

Luckily, she got up and is walking around fine right now. She's drinking a lot of water. We're goin to take them on their morning walk. Hubby is going to take his phone just incase she starts being weird again.

Fingers crossed

Certainly sounds like 'something' neuro, and that is a possibilty, but I don't think she would recover from that quickly.

If this happens again, I'd get her to the vet ASAP.

Edited by BatterseaBrindl

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest Ross_a_Roo

Thank you for that link. I hope this is not anything, but that is good info to know.

They are back from their walk, downy is doing fine. She went both no problem, no symptoms or unusual behavior. We'll keep a close eye on her. Thanks everyone for the suggestions, pls keep watching this forum in case something comes up.

I'll pick up some Vaseline and a digital thermometer sometime today.

As kudzu says, buy a thermometer you can reserve for the dogs' use ... but it's just a people thermometer that you'll buy.

Sorry, I wasn't terribly clear on that. Yes, as Batmom says it is just a human thermometer but reserved for dog use only.

Luckily, she got up and is walking around fine right now. She's drinking a lot of water.

That makes me think seizure just because this is what my sister's dog & a friend's dog did after seizures.

Guest Energy11

Definitely sounds stroke or seizure like. Most likely neurological. My Curfew had similar symptoms about three years ago. He was very sick. We never did figure out what he had, but he sometimes has "mini" episodes.

I would watch carefully, and see the vet for sure, to be sure all her bloodwork is normal, as well.

Sending good luck and lots of love your way!

Sounds like a seizure. Write down the date and time and symptoms you observed just in case it happens again. Dogs coming out of seizures will drink a lot of water. You can usually tell by just feeling them that they are hot but taking the temperature is a good idea.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest betheab199

We had a non-greyhound that had unconfirmed seizures from time to time. It sounds very much like what you experienced. I talked to my vet about it, but they were pretty rare, maybe twice a year. So we never ended up doing any treatment or testing. Best of luck, and bless you for taking in an older pup!

Edited by betheab199

Please purchase and read a home veterinary manual--you've taken on the responsibility of a living craeture, and you really need to know some fundamentals like how to take its temp, and what its temp should be, what human meds can be used in a pinch, and which can be deadly, how to apply a bandage, etc.

I recommend this book all the time:

Book Every Dog Owner Should Have

What you describe is certainly not an allergic reaction and is certainly not normal.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Ross_a_Roo

Well, we took Downy in this morning. They are doing some blood work and we've started giving her one epilepsy pill once a day to hopefully prevent more seizures. I'll find out in the morning what is up from the vet.

I'm confused & probably missed other posts about her, but did she have epilepsy before you got her? I see she's 8 1/2 & just getting spayed (which didn't happen today, did it?). I'm not an epilepsy expert but vets don't usually give out "epilepsy pills" without a documented seizure history. Do you know what drug they've given you? Do you know what antibiotic she was on for the UTI? Not trying to rag on ya just give you some thoughts to ask your vet about.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

I too am surprised your vet prescribed seizure medication without her at least having another "episode", unless she has a history of seizures.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I too am surprised your vet prescribed seizure medication without her at least having another "episode", unless she has a history of seizures.

Me too...

Yikes.

:unsure

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg