Kicking Up The Dirt, Etc. With Paws

Here is something interesting that my grey has started doing - I have him now for almost 3 months.

After he pees or poos, he vocally does a snorty, grumbly/growly sound while kicking his back legs in the dirt/gravel/grass/leaves to cover everything up. Whoa, don't be on the back end of this boy! Showers of debris! It actually gives me a chuckle as none of my others ever did this.

A few weeks ago, we went to a greyhound hike with other greys (obviously) and one of the greys there did this. I think my guy took notes. He started this behavior after that. From what I understand, it is a way for them to either spread their scent or to cover it. I also read that dogs have scent pads in their paws and this is also a reason for the 'dance'. Wolves supposedly do this.

Anyone else have dancing dogs? I am not sure if I should discourage it, but I am trying to anyway. He is easily distracted by treats, so it is like he gets a reward for relieving himself. He must think these humans are fascinating creatures :P

Nike does this when he is being a "Big Boy Dog" on our walks - which also involves peeing on every blade of grass and as high as possible on every tree we pass - to let all the other dogs know that "Nike Was Here". I just assume he is spreading his scent around. Either that or he learned it from the cats .

Guest FrankieWylie

Ah, good to know it has a meaning! I just thought he was being polite! Magic has done this since we got him and it's hilarious. Looks like a cat covering up his mess :)

Yup - the after-pee, after-poo happy dance......I know it well......:lol

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

My oldest female (just turned 9) does this. Its so funny to see her do this in the back yard, then take off doing zoomies around the yard. She gets so worked up! I actually have encouraged her to do it, I tell her "Jesse, tear it up!!!" She waggs her tail, grumbles a bit, and just rips at the ground. She's my sweet princess...

Yep, I'm very familiar with it too! In fact, I've learned to aim Ben's bum in a slightly different direction before I reach down to pick it up. :lol

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Oh yes... Celeste is our dancing dog. She also likes to leave pee mail on every corner and to pee over her sisters pee. We discourage it because we don't want her tearing up our neighbor's lawns on walks.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Yup, and warning to put your coffee down....

One time, I wasn't quick enough to pull him away and was standing on the far side of the poo. We were traveling from NYC to Ontario and at a pit stop and low and behold the pile went flying onto my shoe. puke.gif

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Carl is also quite a dancer. You really need to watch out when he gets into it. He has given many a stranger a chuckle in the park when they see him go to town. One guy commented on how earnest and thorough he seemed!

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest PhillyPups

LadyLu (10 year old retired broodie) does this all the time, I thought she was flinging her Irish around. :lol

She not only pees on her brothers and sisters pee, she pees on them if they are in the way, but then someitmes her brothers return the golden showers. But, she is a fabulous Mama to Gizmo.

We've had a couple of fosters who do this, including my latest, Konnie. I am trying to discourage him because he gets kind of crazy about it and often kicks dirt over me or cars at the side of the road! If he does it off leash, it makes him all frisky and he ends up racing around the yard every time. :lol

Guest mbfilby

Myka also does this, then she sometimes jumps straight up and sort of spins around in the air. Once I had her on leash and she tried the jump/twist thing and ended up flat.. she's a weirdo.. :)

Guest mirinaaronsmom

Mojo started doing this when he saw a grey that was visiting for the weekend do it. He's never stopped. He does it after pee or poo. I try to discourage it also and he is getting better, but sometimes he really gets into it. Interesting that he never does it in the back yard though. Aaron, my first greyhound, never did it in winter, only when he could kick up the grass and dirt.

Guest Tiptons_Mom

Oh yes... Celeste is our dancing dog. She also likes to leave pee mail on every corner and to pee over her sisters pee. We discourage it because we don't want her tearing up our neighbor's lawns on walks.

OMG, pee mail. That is too cute, chuckling over that one.

:lol

Alex does this, especially when there are other dogs around. Bravado, perhaps?

I can stop him most of the time, by making my ugly "Agh" sound before he starts it. If I miss doing that, well dirt and sod flies! Not great when we are in a neighbor's yard. :rolleyes:

Cheryl - "Mom" to RUNNER (Gunnah, born 6/15/2012) and FARGO (Ridin Shotgun, born 8/21/2015). Missing my Grey-Angels HEISMAN (RX Heisman) (3/29/2005-2/1/2016) and ALEX (Bevenly) (4/15/2005-6/7/2018).

Guest jbbuzby

Dogs only sweat between their toes and have glands there. By dragging their feet across the ground, they are leaving their sweat remains, so yes, their scent. It's a social behavior and is seen across all breeds of dog.

Allie just started doing this about 2 months ago. We've had her nearly 2.5 years. I wonder why the sudden change of behavior for her..... She has always had to pee immediately after seeing another dog or having been barked at by one, so maybe she's just upping the ante to "ALLIE, QUEEN DOG OF THE UNIVERSE WAS HERE" (it happens whether or not there's another dog).