I Think I Got Lucky

KickReturn

Hello All,

First time adopter, first time pet owner and I think I have ended up with the perfect animal. We call him Hester after another very fast athlete from Florida. Very affectionate and gentle, he even winds his front leg around mine to hold me close to him. Perfect manners in the house. Never begs for food. Lies down when the family eats. Was told once to not enter the kitchen on the first day home and he has not set foot in the kitchen since. He is very tolerant of all other creatures large or small including squirrels. He sleeps in our room and is silent accept for some racing dreams. I could not imagine a better behaved animal. And to top it off he has a heart shaped patch on his side!

He is six now. He had a very long career as Skidbootsahoot, 134 races, 50 times in the money. He is huge, about 31 inches at the shoulder, silly long legs, but very narrow in the chest/shoulder area and light (85 lbs) for a dog of his dimensions. He is from Florida, raced mostly at Flagler. I would be interested to hear from anyone who has had previous contact with him. Apparently he was fostered by Judith Greenfield in Denver. He then went to a home on Mayne Island off the coast of British Columbia. Apparently there were some unspecified problems there and he was returned to an agency that received my application the next day. My understanding was that he was never trained, walked on leash, etc. Just left to roam acreage with a couple of Deerhounds. Apparently he had his food restricted as some sort of punishment or behaviour modification. He arrived underweight and in poor physical condition. Not really abused, just out of shape.

Edited by KickReturn

He's stunning! congratulations on a perfect match. Welcome to GT. I don't think you can edit posts unless you are a GT Supporter. Any donation does it.

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

I'm not sure if you got lucky...greyhounds make the best pets. Ok, I'm a litle biased, but I bet you'd be hard pressed to find someone on this forum who disagrees. :lol He's very handsome. Thanks for sharing and we hope to hear lots of stories about Skidbootsahoot.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Welcome and congratulations. I used to say to people at Meet and Greet, "What you see is what you get", and you just defined it. Your dog is very handsome.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Wow, is he ever handsome! Congrats on your beautiful boy! :)

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Your new cow-doggie is gorgeous! We have the red version of him, personality and size wise, even down to the heart on his side.

Ambi-1.jpg

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Welcome, and congratulations on the perfect pet!!! Of course, you'll find that we all think that EVERY greyhound is a perfect

companion.....each in his own eccentric way, of course.

He is VERY handsome!!!

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Welcome and your boy is a beaut!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Welcome! Gorgeous dog. I will point out one thing about the name: Hester is generally a girl's name. So you are going to be correcting people on his gender as long as you have the dog. It may not matter to you, but just something to be aware of, especially with vets and most especially with emergency care.

77f6598d-2.jpg

My blog about helping Katie learn to be a more normal dog: http://katies-journey-philospher77.blogspot.com/

Welcome! Gorgeous dog. I will point out one thing about the name: Hester is generally a girl's name. So you are going to be correcting people on his gender as long as you have the dog. It may not matter to you, but just something to be aware of, especially with vets and most especially with emergency care.

Yes, we are aware the name is mostly feminine in application. But he's got some decent bits and pieces (well one piece anyway) that tell a rather male story. If you have some time to spare look up Devon Hester kick return highlights on YouTube. Nothing girlie there.

To UPDATE: this fellow just gets better every day. His desire to please is very strong and his affection towards our whole family is very intense. When we leave he literally breaks down and cries like a small child. So touching if a bit odd. I am sure this will diminish in time, it has only been a few weeks. His behaviour continues to be flawless. I had thought of doing some obedience classes but I am not sure I want to alter his behaviour at all. Maybe just for fun, stimulation, and bonding. And finally on a superficial note, wherever we go he literally stops traffic. Cars pull over to get a look, pedestrian can't resist approaching, and other dogs are either intimidated or intrigued. And Hester through it all remains calm and dignified almost to a fault.

Guest FlosMomma

Wow! He is beautiful and sounds like the perfect dog! He makes my little 60 lbs Flo seem so small ( we tend to think she is small moose since we are used to having dachshunds). Congrats! :)