Any Advice For Nube? *** Another Good Updt Post #93!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hoping that everyone can breathe a small sigh of relief to be home. Praying that Nube will begin to recover now that he is home.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

hi --

back from the vets (our regular vet, we saw Dr. Shanding who is an OSU grad) earlier. He thinks it's an infection, even though he has no fever. We had him take an x-ray (he was such a good boy they said!!!) and it's showing some kind of foreign object (small) in his foot! it's between the outside toe and the one next to it, but no way to tell where in the foot it is. He checked it as best he could but nothing. :( so, he's on big time antibiotics and the vet hopes the object will come out "naturally". Unfortunately, the foot this evening is even bigger than it was this morning :(

we did get a sling from a friend and that is helping some to get him out -- he's "ok" with Bruce helping him (have him leashed on the front, sling in the middle to kind of stablize him to get down the 2 steps (small, but still steps) out the sliding door to the patio to go potty, but was not so sure with me trying it :(. Bruce absolutely has to go back to work tomorrow, so I'm on my own. I hope I can get him in and out ok! (the first time Bruce got him out yesterday with the sling, he kind of freaked [we didn't know he'd do it :(] and fell going out the door and scaped up his front left leg -- he jumped forward before we could stop him and fell on his front :cry1 :cry1)..

thanks again for checking in and for the good thoughts. I really hope upon hope it gets better and FAST so he can at least walk! He's almost completely unable to walk now. It's like he's gone downhill in 4 days, from a healthy happy guy to a feeble old man. His bloat surgery/recovery was a total piece of cake compared to this :(....

Kim :(

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Drat. Sending all best thoughts!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Sending every good thought that I can!!!!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Hopefully the antibiotics take hold quickly. I'm wondering if continuing to soak it will encourage the object to come to the surface so you can get it out.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Well, it's not totally horrible, we now know there is a foreign object in there. The swelling must make it impossible to get to though. I hope he starts getting better. We all know home is the best place to recover! I know exactly what you are going through with the sling (we just used a towel): dogs just don't like it. Hurley has fallen quite a few times too and it's no fun but it does happen. I also know what it's like to have a toe problem bloom into something dangerous (from Woodie's broken toe that was bandaged and then got infected).

Kisses and gentle scritches to Nubes!

Can you notice the swelling going down when you apply whatever the vet recommended?

Keep an eye on everything...healing can be a slow and problematic process. I am hoping for a nice recovery, of course!

Bow Wow Wow Yippie Yo Yippie Yay :)

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background

Well, thank goodness he didn't say he thought it was osteosarcoma! ;)

I'm not trying to downplay the hideousness of the situation, but sometimes we do just need to find the bright side, too. A foreign object is treatable, and eventually, they'll get it. Hold onto that thought!

I'm so sorry you are all going through this, and especially with it happening when you were so far from home and supposed to be having such a great time. :( I hope he begins to improve now.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

I second all the recommendations to soak the foot in epsom salts, 4 times a day if you can (we used a tupperware container, but because his leg is swollen I'd say get a nice big bucket). Put some warm water in it with 2 big tablespoon or so of epsom salts, mix it up so it's all dissolved and stick his foot in there for 10 minutes. It will relieve some pain, and will soften the area the foreign object is in. Who knows what exactly it is, but it will have to come out before any swelling will go down. The body is just reacting to it, and I think will continue to do so until it's gone. With every step he's been taking, whatever is lodged in there has perhaps gone deeper every time.

Ryder had what we think was glass just by his back pad, it grew into a big bump, but no major swelling. We soaked it a lot, and tried to express it, much like you would a pimple. Even though every expressing session wouldn't get it out, the soft skin helped to make it come closer to the surface, until eventually a week later we think, we finally got it out. Bump gone, all healed.

That will be really difficult between the toes though, and I of course don't want to go against what the vet may tell you to do. You will not believe how well soaking in epsom salts really does help and heal, even if you aren't trying to express the object. He will likely just benefit from sticking his foot in the water as well.

I also had a bee sting a few years ago on the bottom of my foot, it swelled up like you wouldn't believe, had to wear sandals everywhere thankfully it was summer, and 2 weeks later I finally saw a doctor and he had to break up the stinger that was still in my foot. Once broken up, and after soaking is epsom salts to soften and try to get rid of the cut up stinger, my swelling went away. We keep epsom salts around the house and use it regularly, for small cuts and just general soreness.

The poor guy, I too was hoping he would have had more progress on the swelling. Glad to hear he's on antibiotics.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Kim you might check on pescalite clay. I get mine from here http://www.relfe.com/pascalite.html I know you have to be sure you get the real deal from the Big Horn mountains and not a copycat. The indians called it "the dirt that heals."

After spending a couple hundred dollars at a board certified vet to heal a bleeding/ulcer? problem with Slims toes about a half of one $15 bottle of this stuff cured him. It took quite a while-6-8 weeks for a total cure--but there was immediate improvement and it kept improving little bit by little bit until it was well and it stayed well. About 2 weeks into the treatments little pieces of something black were being drawn out of his toe! I had to work and leave him dring the day so I was only able to leave it on him for 12 hours a day during the treatment but that was enough. You take the clay, mix it with pure spring water (NOT the chemical laden tap water) into a paste and then apply it as a poltice around a quarter inch thick over and around the affected area. Wrap with saran wrap and then an exterior wrap. Probably should be changed after 12 hours anyway because it will dry and it needs to be mosit to work best. It sounds like a lot of trouble but its really not. I recommended it to another GT'r that was having quite a problem(desperate) also and they pm'd me back very happy to let me know it cured their grey too. The other thing you could try is Epsal ointment-well known for drawing out things. I just hate hearing my Gable Dodge baby is having such a rough time. Praying for his quick recovery! With Slim I spread the paste around a quarter inch thick between the two toes where the problem was and it didn't seem to bother him and stayed in contact pretty good with where it needed to be. Just to be on the safe side don't leave it sitting around tv/computer (radiation) etc. Sorry if it sounds corny but if something works-as this does- I overlook corniness.

Edited by racindog

Guest mirinaaronsmom

Oh dear, Kim. I was hoping for better news. But I'm glad you made it home safely. I hope it works its way out quickly. Keep up posted on his progress.

Guest gomiesmom

Just a shot in the dark here; could it have been a bee sting?

My little girl, Lilly, experienced bee stings this past summer; they got her in the shoulder and in the face ( actually I think she bit at it and it got her in the mouth).

Her shoulder swelled, so we were treating that, then her face swelled up.Next morning; the "face/lip" swelling had moved to the top of her head. my first thougth was brain trauma, of course. It was the strangest swelling I had ever seen.

There was no stinger mark(s) or anything.

Just a shot in the dark, since I know the swelling on Lil w/ the stings was very strange, not like in a human. The swelling or fluid or whatever it was also moved; vet said it was "gravity", but it was movign UP- weird.

Whatever it is- hope it gets better quick!

How is Nube doing? If still very swollen, I would probably go in after the foreign body. I'm assuming vet didn't want to because of location etc., but sometimes that's all you can do. Hugs and best luck.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

How is Nube doing? If still very swollen, I would probably go in after the foreign body. I'm assuming vet didn't want to because of location etc., but sometimes that's all you can do. Hugs and best luck.

I think that this point it's time to surgically explore that area.

I've been thinking this, too.

Back in the days when I worked at the vets, I remember seeing dogs that got grass seeds between their toes and it would work its way under the skin and cause problems like this. One poor spaniel ended up with it up by his armpit before they found it. This is a type of wild barley that has those hooked spines to help with seed distribution. Jim got one up his nose once, but luckily for us he managed to snort it all the way up and swallow it. The vet was very pessimistic about his chances of reaching it with long-nosed forceps, let alone get it out in one piece!!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I just saw your thread, I have something similar with Bart. He jumped into bed last tuesday and screamed, then wouldnt use his left rear leg. After a vet visit and multiple x-rays, no broken bones and no osteo, but within 24 hours his leg doubled in size. Fast forward a week, Rymadil Tramadol & antibiotic and his leg is finally starting to get back to normal. He also is getting some range of motion back and I have seen him use his left leg to stabilize himself when he poops. He is good going down the stairs into the yard, but up, no deal. I have to carry all 82.2 lbs of the big guy. I am sure Nube will get better, just hang in there. Maybe get some ice packs and keep his leg iced. I did that with Bart for the last 5 days and it really seems to help. Also, maybe try massaging his leg (above the swelling), since he is straining the muscle to keep the leg off the ground.

Chad