Received A Warning For Noise

Guest karilynn

An x-pen can be dangerous if your dog is inclined to be aggitated.

I came home to my dear old dog (not my greyhound) who had managed to collapse the entire thing on himself--I was horrified. I figured out a way to secure it--he was on post-surgical NO EXERCISE orders, so I had no choice--and he had also had surgery to fix his never-ending happy tail, so a crate wasn't an option because of the wagging problem!), but gates are your best bet.

What I've done is purchase an x-pen, but then just use it as a fence--not an enclosure, just a wall to keep my dog in a certain area.

Could you try that?

Or even move a piece of furniture to make up part of the gap?

Sounds like you're making strides. Good for you!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest karilynn

I am trying! I love him to DEATH. I would be depressed for the rest of my life if it came down to me returning him. He's so funny, too. He makes my life so much better. Just wish he'd be quiet in the crate...

I've got the video recording again today, so we'll see. I put on a selection of rock music today. I thought about recording a video of me talking and telling a story and playing it on repeat, but then he might cry if he thinks I'm there and he wants to get out.

Thanks for the gate recommendation. I'll look into it :)

Gate only goes to 48 inches :( I don't think one exists that goes further...

Edited by karilynn

Guest Liz_in_PA

Dash was bounced for eating a door frame (I found this out after we'd had him 3 months). He was then shipped to a different group. They said that he whined constantly in his crate.

We've never crated him. He's never eaten any woodwork. We're pretty sure that if we tried to trap him in one room that he would eat the woodwork. Given free run, he behaves himself. (Well, he sings, but the neighbors think that's funny)

Another vote for ditching the crate. Can you set up the camera so that you can monitor remotely? Use the "eye" in your computer?

I am going to also say just ditch the crate. Get a belly band and put a muzzle on him. Also check and see if there is maybe a nice neighbor that might check in on him in the evening for you or even give him a walk. It would do wonders for him and he won't be so lonely. In time he will be able to hang by himself longer.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest karilynn

Like I said before, I did try ditching the crate Sunday night and he peed and pooped everywhere. I don't think he's housebroken enough to live crate free.

You've received lots of good ideas, most of which are repeating the same thing over and over again.

No crate

Muzzle

Belly band

A couple of X-Pens or Baby gates to keep him in your kitchen.

Lots of newspapers / puppy pads on the floor

Frozen kongs

Someone to come let him out after 3-4 hours.

And you MUST start Alone Training as detailed in the McConnell book.

Every day.

Several times a day.

It WILL get better, but you have to really, really work at it!!!

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Here are a few options for gates that will cover the area you need:

72" gate with extensions available

59" gate

12 foot gate / ex pen

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

I am trying! I love him to DEATH. I would be depressed for the rest of my life if it came down to me returning him. He's so funny, too. He makes my life so much better. Just wish he'd be quiet in the crate...

I've got the video recording again today, so we'll see. I put on a selection of rock music today. I thought about recording a video of me talking and telling a story and playing it on repeat, but then he might cry if he thinks I'm there and he wants to get out.

I ordered this one online from Walmart. It works great. It keeps my crew from rushing the front door when I open it.

DSC_0073-1.jpg

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest karilynn

Thanks for the link... to further complicate the situation, I can't screw anything into the kitchen island. So... I need a pressure gate and they don't go much bigger than 48 inches I'm thinkin :(

Guest SupersMom

10!

I ordered this one online from Walmart. It works great. It keeps my crew from rushing the front door when I open it.

DSC_0073-1.jpg

What a lovely picture of the pack!

The husband would disown me if I had 10!

Thanks for the link... to further complicate the situation, I can't screw anything into the kitchen island. So... I need a pressure gate and they don't go much bigger than 48 inches I'm thinkin :(

that only complicates it if it's a rule you choose to follow. You just signed your lease. You have a year to fix the holes. :)

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Guest karilynn

okay! good news - went home and he wasn't crying. I ran through the video of the 5 hours I was gone and he didn't cry once! And he went right back in his crate when we came in from going outside. YAY!!

that only complicates it if it's a rule you choose to follow. You just signed your lease. You have a year to fix the holes. :)

True, true. I guess I just don't know how I would fix a hole put in wood. I'm sure there's a way, but I'm not good at that stuff. I could do the extensions and build across the whole kitchen, which I might end up doing.

A little wood putty and a stain pen and no one would even know the holes were ever there.

YAY for no crying! He's learning!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest karilynn

A little wood putty and a stain pen and no one would even know the holes were ever there.

YAY for no crying! He's learning!

Yep, he is. I think it's my fault, really. I transferred apartments from Thursday to Monday and I had 2 days off of work and the whole weekend and he got used to me being around, so of course Monday was rough. And I probably shouldn't have adopted him a week and a half before moving apartments. But we are on the right track now :)

Keeping fingers crossed.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Great update! Hopefully it's just an initial adjustment period. When I get a new foster, I find that they whine for a few days, and then most settle down and are fine after that.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

okay! good news - went home and he wasn't crying. I ran through the video of the 5 hours I was gone and he didn't cry once! And he went right back in his crate when we came in from going outside. YAY!!

I'm glad he did not spend all his time crying.

He has had a lot of changes in the past 2 weeks.

I am a bit concerned that he is spending too much time in his crate.

He needs to have time outside the crate.

When you're home, why does he need to be in the crate? Especially after he's already spent 5 hours locked in there...

He needs to learn the rules of the house...he cannot do that if he's in his crate.

If you're concerned about the cat, put a muzzle on him.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest karilynn

I'm glad he did not spend all his time crying.

He has had a lot of changes in the past 2 weeks.

I am a bit concerned that he is spending too much time in his crate.

He needs to have time outside the crate.

When you're home, why does he need to be in the crate? Especially after he's already spent 5 hours locked in there...

He needs to learn the rules of the house...he cannot do that if he's in his crate.

If you're concerned about the cat, put a muzzle on him.

He went back in the crate because I had to go back to work. I just went home on my lunch break. He really isn't in the crate much at all when I'm home unless we are working on his alone training.

Guest verthib

Not to throw a wrench in this whole huge thread but we did alone training, in crate, out of crate, kongs, tv, radio, etc. EVERYTHING. Nothing worked until we got a second dog. SA went away practically overnight. MANY people say their dogs don't have SA but until you record them we really cannot say that. We thought ours was fine but one say we noticed the bars on her crate were bent so we recorded her. I cried when I watched that first video. She wailed and cried almost the whole time and was biting her bars so bad her teeth started to get notched. Now she LOVES her crate and goes in randomly just because. Getting a second grey made her a new dog. Not trying to be negative, just realistic. Good luck!!

Guest karilynn

Not to throw a wrench in this whole huge thread but we did alone training, in crate, out of crate, kongs, tv, radio, etc. EVERYTHING. Nothing worked until we got a second dog. SA went away practically overnight. MANY people say their dogs don't have SA but until you record them we really cannot say that. We thought ours was fine but one say we noticed the bars on her crate were bent so we recorded her. I cried when I watched that first video. She wailed and cried almost the whole time and was biting her bars so bad her teeth started to get notched. Now she LOVES her crate and goes in randomly just because. Getting a second grey made her a new dog. Not trying to be negative, just realistic. Good luck!!

I know, it's a common solution and as much as I would love 2 dogs, I live in a 700 square foot studio and I am only allowed 2 pets: my dog and my cat. I think he will be fine. He didn't make a single peep in the video from yesterday and we'll see about tonight. I'm home all the time aside from when I work.

I know, it's a common solution and as much as I would love 2 dogs, I live in a 700 square foot studio and I am only allowed 2 pets: my dog and my cat. I think he will be fine. He didn't make a single peep in the video from yesterday and we'll see about tonight. I'm home all the time aside from when I work.

He'll be fine. Seems like he's already improving a lot. Re: crates, I don't like crates and don't even own one, but I think that until you know that he'll be safe in your home, I would continue to use it, if possible. It might not have to be for a long time, only until you know that he can safely manouver himself around your apartment. I also think that getting a second dog, especially at this point, is a huge committment. You're doing fine and so is Bruce.

Oh yea, Treasure enjoys watching trash tv when I'm not home, such as Maury who's your daddy and Jeremy Kyle :eek:lol

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest karilynn

Okay, a miracle has happened, because he hasn't cried once in his crate for the past 2 days I've been at work! OMG I am so happy. *knock on wood* I hope it was just the stress of moving and the new place that brought on his crying fits. But we are making definite progress and I haven't heard any complaints. I'm going to continue recording him to make sure this lasts... but yay! yay! YAY! :P

I just ordered a pizza to celebrate... for me, not for him.

Edited by karilynn

But he's gonna get the pizza bones, right?

Right?!

RIGHT!!!!???

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.