How Much Is Too Much?

Guest Fasave

My boy Avalanche will turn 12 next Saturday. All his known littermates have passed at the ages of 8, 9 & 10. Genetically, it appears cancer ran rampant through this litter. Ave was diagnosed with soft tissue sarcoma 3.5 years ago. Treated surgically and results showed clean but narrow margins. Last year when he went in for surgery for a torn salivary gland and benign epulis on the roof of his mouth, they re-biopsied the site. The cancer had returned. Low grade. All agreed that it was unlikely to be a cause of death for him given his age BUT could become problematic. Problematic made me nervous so I started the FU5 (injectable chemo)treatment. Two weeks later an ultrasound showed a "mass" on his liver with potential spleen involvement. His prognosis was very poor. I stopped the chemo treatments. Three weeks after the discovery of the liver mass, he was re-ultraounded. Mass gone. No real explanation ever known. At that point, it just didn't feel right re-starting the chemo treatment. Ave has corns of three feet so he always limps in some way but in August he really started limping on a different leg. After many vet visits ending with any orthopedic surgeon, we discovered a mass between his toes. Three weeks ago he had surgery to remove the mass which thankfully came back benign. But last weekend, I discovered the soft tissue cancer site has a new lump. It's about the size of a peanut.

Sooooo, how much is too much? I swore to him after last year's salivary gland surgery that I wouldn't put him through anything else like that but I did. He's always come through things well but there is no doubt that the meds and recovery are difficult. So all week I've been torn about what to do about the new lump. I know it's cancer. I don't know if surgery is possible. Given the size of the lump, I'm not sure I can re-start the chemo now that it's grown. I don't know if it's right to put him through more. What I do know is that I don't want lose him or create a painful situation for him because I didn't do something I could have done. If I take a wait and see approach, this could be exactly where I end up.

Sooooo, how much is too much?

I keep treating them until they look me in the eye and say they have had enough. I know that sounds silly, but I feel they do talk with their eyes.

Hugs and Prayers

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

oh no

I've had the same types of thoughts with Kingsley as he has had several (non-cancerous) surgeries and I have felt that i wouldn't want to put his aging body thru it again... I do not know what I would/will do when the time comes.

This post is of no help, just sending prayers and hopes that others will have good insight (they often do here)

But I bet your heart wants to do whatever you can until is just can't help any more.

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).

IMO most times they make it very clear when it is "time". They'll tell you if you're listening and most of us greyhound owners listen very well. I usually discuss it with them in advance if there is time-so I can make sure I am complying with their wishes about it( or if I am too emotional I get another ac to help me do so if necessary). But don't worry. When the time comes you will recognize it and you will act with the utmost love for him-just as you always do. He knows that too.

I'd want to know if the chemo treatment will or won't help at this point. And if it's surgically removable. If he were really fading, maybe I'd let it ride. But if he's tooling around OK & enjoying the sunshine, I'd look down every avenue before I made a decision. kiss1.gif to Ave - keep hangin' in there buddy!

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

I'd want to know if the chemo treatment will or won't help at this point. And if it's surgically removable. If he were really fading, maybe I'd let it ride. But if he's tooling around OK & enjoying the sunshine, I'd look down every avenue before I made a decision. kiss1.gif to Ave - keep hangin' in there buddy!

ditto

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

All I know is that greyhounds have a remarkable ability to recover from most anything given the chance. and they always impress me with

their grace, love and patience thru difficult times. They know when you are helping them, and will really try to get better too.

I also fully believe that saying good by a day early is better than a day late if they are struggling with a terminal illness.

the look in their eye, the way they eat food, treats, enjoy life will help to determine how much fight is left in them.

that being said, every dog is different. I was sure Lazer was not going to survive his trials this last summer,, my DH said,, HE IS NOT READY, we will do

whatever it takes, while he wants to fight.... We fought, and he fought and he is still with us today.

My sweet Darbee-doo had tie back surgery at the age of 12. She came back stronger, sweeter and happier than ever. She went on to the bridge at the age of 15, tired of life and ready to go on to the next adventure.

everyone will have their own stories ~~ ultimately your love for Ave will allow you to make the right decision for him.

:kiss2 for Ave

good luck!

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

ditto

Yes. Lots of prayers and virtual hugs for you and Ave.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Take it a step at a time ....

First find out if the new lump is operable or whether chemo/radiation is an option. The vet might have other recommendations, if so, you probably want to find out before making any decision.

I usually try to be positive in the sense that I want to keep my friend alive as long as possible and I try and take it a day at a time and I would pursue all options in that direction. Sometimes there are no options and the decision is made for you .. other times you can tell your friend has had enough or maybe you have had enough and in that case, the decision is also already made. Sometimes, there just isn't enough money to start/continue treatment and in that case, your decision is also already made.

You swore to your friend that you wouldn't put him through this again but, if he had the choice, do you think he would want a chance to live or to be put down gracefully? You always have the option to put a dog down but, to have options to keep him alive is a precious one.

Only you can decide.

My last dog had a tumor and given his age, the pain that treatment would involve, and the virtual certainty that it would come back, I opted for no treatment, and he lived as long as the vet guessed he would have with the painful surgery.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

You will know when your hound can't take any more. It is clearly in their eyes...and you will have a sense....Does Ave still eat decently? Does he go potty? Does he wag his tail.....overall, general quality of life.

EZ had a soft-tissue sarcoma removed in 2008. The vet said it was slow growing - with a moderate risk of recurrence and most likely at the same site. Recently, I noticed that the area where their had been scar tissue seems a little thicker than usual...possibly coming back. Given the rate of growth, his advanced age (now 11) and a serious heart murmer, we have decided to just watch it.

He right now gets so stressed at the vet, that I don't even really want to do a biopsy....but for now, his quality of life is good, and DH (EZ is his daddiman's boy) does not want to risk surgery. If I could get him to do the biopsy, I would consider the chemo.....but at this point, I wouldn't do the surgery.

But everyone and every hound is different.

Look into your own heart and your hound's eyes.....

Hugs and well-wishes....

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

ultimately your love for Ave will allow you to make the right decision for him.

:kiss2 for Ave

good luck!

What she said.

You are Ave's best friend and he trusts you with whatever decision you make.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest goofydog

No advice just hugs for you. I'll be watching this because Get Em had surgery October 25th for a ruptured salivary gland and removal of a hemangiopericytoma. The only chemo possibly helpful for his lump is the FU5 and I'm waiting to hear from OSU if this is possible with him.

Fingers and paws crossed for a lot more time with your boy.