Jack - Need Advice/opinions

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Candyman hacked, an xray showed the Venacava putting pressure on his trachea. Our vet put him on enalapril, lasix and vetmedin. We adjusted lasix to help with symptoms. The medicine helped control his symptoms for about 8 months. He did have some autoimmune issues as well and we sent him to the bridge in June.

This is what Mousie's on and has been for almost 2 years.

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Guest azlorenz

Well crap Kyle. Hoping you get some good news about Jack soon. Everyone is right, you can't second guess yourself. Woulda, coulda, shoulda, bologna. You guys go above and beyond for your hounds and don't ever think otherwise. Sending healing thoughts for Jack tonight and a big :grouphug for you all.

Sending prayers for Jack. Kyle, you know how these guys can hide how they are feeling and I'm sure Jack is a master of disguise. Don't beat yourself up over the decision you made with the information available at the time. Spend your energy on him now.............don't dwell on what happened last summer. Hugs to everyone, prayers for stability tonight and a brighter tomorrow.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Kyle, how's Jack today?

We actually just got back from the hospital and Jack is home!!! They did stabilize him yesterday and we had a good conversation with the Cardio who we will see again next week. The outlook is okay not really sure there is a better definition as his x-rays in July showed a 20% bigger heart than he should have and a 2/6 murmur. Now his heart is 27% larger and his murmur is a 4/6 so things have progressed however the Cardio did say it's not a rapid increase and hopefully with the meds it will be controlled somewhat but of course will not prevent it from continuing. So his prognosis is a year is very likely and possibly longer depending on the progression. Of course we have a slew of pills for him and none are cheap so we'll be looking around for ways to get them cheaper if it's possible. What with Charlie's Palladia, all the supplements and herbs for the other pups, our monthly bills just grew! Oh well, we are just very happy he is home and his breathing is back to normal. He is currently sleeping soundly on his bed and so very happy to be home.

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Kyle, how's Jack today?

We actually just got back from the hospital and Jack is home!!! They did stabilize him yesterday and we had a good conversation with the Cardio who we will see again next week. The outlook is okay not really sure there is a better definition as his x-rays in July showed a 20% bigger heart than he should have and a 2/6 murmur. Now his heart is 27% larger and his murmur is a 4/6 so things have progressed however the Cardio did say it's not a rapid increase and hopefully with the meds it will be controlled somewhat but of course will not prevent it from continuing. So his prognosis is a year is very likely and possibly longer depending on the progression. Of course we have a slew of pills for him and none are cheap so we'll be looking around for ways to get them cheaper if it's possible. What with Charlie's Palladia, all the supplements and herbs for the other pups, our monthly bills just grew! Oh well, we are just very happy he is home and his breathing is back to normal. He is currently sleeping soundly on his bed and so very happy to be home.

What are the meds. Maybe I can help. I don't have any left as Pearl has been gone a year and 1/2. But I was able to find the cheapest around.

Costco was a big one for anything that is human origin. I saved so much money that the yearly membership paid for itself in one month. (but she was also on BP meds as well.)

Guest multiplicity

Glad to hear Jack is back home. It is such a relief when hounds come home from a vet stay...even if they are still under the weather their presence makes the family complete.

I follow your wife's blog and saw the picture of him all snuggled on his bed with his new stuffie. wub.gif

I am glad he is home! Actually, that's not too bad a progression since I am thinking he wasn't on any heart meds before now? I was able to get most of Sugar's heart meds (the human ones) pretty reasonably, but the vetmedin wasn't cheap. Still it helped, so, worth every penny :)

:bighug

Guest azlorenz

Thank the good Lord above. So thrilled he is home where Mom and Dad can give him the love and care they are so very good at giving. Give him sugar from me too. Great news.

Thanks everyone, we are overjoyed he is back home and definitely acting like his old self again. The meds he is on are:

Vetmedin 5mg 120 pills $116.80

Fortekor 20mg 23 pills $72.95

Furosemide 40mg 60 pills $28.00

Spiroton (Aldactone) 25mg 60 pills $29.80

Norvasc 10mg 30 pills $131.50

Total of $379.05 and I believe these are for one month only but will check. This on top of Charlie's Palladia which is about $350/mth is basically a mortgage so if we can get them cheaper, we are all for it.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Thanks everyone, we are overjoyed he is back home and definitely acting like his old self again. The meds he is on are:

Vetmedin 5mg 120 pills $116.80

Fortekor 20mg 23 pills $72.95

Furosemide 40mg 60 pills $28.00

Spiroton (Aldactone) 25mg 60 pills $29.80

Norvasc 10mg 30 pills $131.50

Total of $379.05 and I believe these are for one month only but will check. This on top of Charlie's Palladia which is about $350/mth is basically a mortgage so if we can get them cheaper, we are all for it.

Norvasc can be gotten WAY cheaper as a generic at Costco. If my memory serves me right, the most I paid was $60. It might even be lower than that depending on the dosage.

Look for VetMedin online too. I know I got it cheaper that what you're paying.

I don't have experience with the others. But check with Costco.

Others have also mentioned Walmart as being way cheaper.

I'm sure you can cut that in half. Pearl's original monthly bill was over $400. I got it down to under $100.

Kyle, Walgreens also is surprisingly less expensive than you might expect. Pay an annual fee for a Prescription Savings Club card for your "family" and put the dogs on the card. (Also, you and your wife can be on the card for anything not covered by your own insurance.)

Silver is on clomipramine. Target quoted $109 for 120 pills, Kroger quoted $94 (and was out of stock), Walgreens charged me $17, with a note that my prescription card saved me about $47--which means that Walgreens was much cheaper than Target and Kroger even without the card.

We just had to convince the Walgreens computer that we weren't feeding that relatively high dosage of clomipramine to a 6-year-old child.

I think the Walgreens card cost me $35/year--something like that. It more than paid for itself just on the clomipramine. (And then there are all Sam's standing prescriptions...) I picked the Walgreens originally because it was the closest store and had good hours. (Costco is miles away, in a busy shopping center with nightmare traffic and almost nowhere to park.) I've been very happy with Walgreens.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

check Target, Kroger if you have one, Walmart, Meijer if you have one. All have $4.00 generic programs. M's enalapril is $4.00 at our Kroger. Vetmedin isn't FDA approved for human consumption in the US but someone posted here not long ago that some Targets have a veterinary medicine program. Mine doesn't. Lasix (furosemide) should have a $4.00 generic, so should the Norvasc (um...amlodpine is the generic I think....I'll try to get back to ya on that. been out of nursing for almost four years. Yay). I'm not sure of the other two. Aldactone I've heard of, but not the Fork-one....

HTH. Glad he's home and stable. Except for her occasional cough after she drinks, at this point, I really can't tell M has any heart problem. She has good color, she doesn't retain fluid and her Lasix dose is 2.5 mg, yes 2.5 mg every other day. (Can't get that at the pharmacy, too tiny of a dose.)

ETA: Amlodipine is generic Norvasc, Fortekor one is benzapril and it's like the first BP med ever created so I know it's on a $4.00 program somewhere in some form. Just don't know about the Aldactone, I don't remember ever writing a patient's Rx for that....

Edited by LuvAPuppy

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Glad Jack is home and feeling better.

:yay

I think everyone needs to be reminded that Jack lives in Ontario...we do not have Walgreens, Target or other such discount pharmacies.

We do have Costco...hopefully the generic versions are available here.

:goodluck:goodluck:goodluck

I have found --with my horses-- that it is always not easy or cheaper to get drugs shipped from the US into Canada.

Most vets will write a script if you can find it cheaper on-line.

But, I found the shipping charges and duty can add up pretty quickly.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

So glad he is home and on meds he should do well. Maybe you should come back and visit VB armed with scripts for Costco and Walgreens.

Hugs to everyone.

Carol & Molleigh

Molleigh-and-Snowy-sig2.jpg

CAROL & Molleigh (Queen Molly)
My Angel Girl (Slippy's Molly) ~ Thank you for sending me your namesake ~

First, yay Jack!! Glad to hear some pretty good news.

On the meds, not sure if you still work in the US, but you can have them delivered to Ogdensburg to a receiver (can send you the link if needed) and then pick them up. I do it frequently for Internet purchases that would otherwise carry duty or import charges (yes, I declare at the border!). Anyway, big cost savings overall.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road