Meet Sadie!

Guest BassoonMo

Guest BassoonMo

Our foster group was short on homes and had a sudden owner surrender, so they asked us if we would be able to pick her up and keep her for a couple of weeks until a foster home would be opening up. Well, she is the sweetest dog ever, which is pretty incredible considering her past. The vet estimates her to be about 8 years old and she's not a racer. It looks like she was probably used for hunting, as she has a lot of scars and was found in a rural area, abandoned, starving, and shot with a shotgun. She was also pregnant and ended up having a litter of full-blooded greyhound puppies. The people who found her kept her for 3 years, but could now no longer take care of her. We picked her up on Thursday night and I took her into the vet on Friday. She's in good health except that she is heartworm positive. She doesn't have any permanent damage yet and her heart looks good, so we've started treatment, which will take 3 months. The vet seemed really positive and said she should be fine afterwards since it was caught pretty early.

She is a super sweet girl who just wants to follow me around and get lots of loving. She gets along great with our other greyhound and our yorkie and she doesn't care about our cat at all. We're having a little bit of difficulty with the stairs. At first I thought she was just scared because they were something new, but she seems to have some muscle weakness in her back legs. If we help lift her as she goes up the stairs, she can do it, and she has no problems going down by herself. We'll just keep helping her and hopefully it will get better. I don't think she got any real exercise at her last home and her nails were so long that she was actually uncomfortable when walking (the nails were causing her toes to splay way out).

So without further ado, here are some pictures...

When we first brought her home, she kept trying to join Easy on his bed (which he did not appreciate).

6366154635_d6c08f3cb3_z.jpg

How could you not love that face?

6366201957_3e7abcda76_z.jpg

She has cute little snaggle teeth on both sides.

6366207253_0ed2f883fd_z.jpg

Such a pretty little girl.

6366214257_9a4f656457_z.jpg

Easy and Sadie.

6366219685_3a3b7247c3_z.jpg

She will lay down absolutely anywhere (even on the cement).

6366226475_528fda0ddf_z.jpg

We're going to make sure that the rest of her life is wonderful and that she is spoiled the way she deserves!

6366231603_a6c9b594b7_z.jpg

She's a beauty! :wub: Thank you for taking her in and spoiling her. :colgate

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

That's not a foster failure - that was a set-up! She is beautiful and has landed in the perfect spot for her. Congratulations! May you have many wonderful times together with Sadie. I love the name, too, by the way. It fits her so well.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Congratulations! She's lovely. I hope the heartworm treatment goes well.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest PhillyPups

:confetti Welcome Home Beautiful Sadie :confetti

Such a pretty girl, she struck it rich when you successfully failed foster 101 :lol

I do wonder if she is able to do the exercise of stairs being treated for heartworms? I always thought, but may be mistaken, or the protocols may have changed, that during heartworm treatment they should be kept as quiet as possible and leash walked for potty.

She is a beauty and has earned every moment of spoiling you give "Sweet Sadie". :wub:

Congratulations on the foster failure :confetti I can see how difficult it would be to let her go though...she looks so sweet.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest greymama002

Congratulations on your SUCCESS in finding each other. She looks like a sweetheart; best wishes that the heartworm treatment will go well. :kiss2 to Sadie.

She's beautiful! Lots of good thoughts for her heart worm treatment. Our angel Heart had to go through heart worm treatments and the crating and leash walks were hard for 30 days.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Congrats!!! She is beautiful and takes great pictures. Love the one of her laying on the cement.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest BassoonMo

Thanks to everyone for the good wishes! We are really loving having her and she just gets sweeter and sweeter. She still seems to have a little bit of weakness in her back legs, but on Sunday, she just started going up and down the stairs by herself, so I guess a lot of it was fear and not knowing where to put her feet. She's doing great with the stairs now, although she's still a little cautious.

:confetti Welcome Home Beautiful Sadie :confetti

Such a pretty girl, she struck it rich when you successfully failed foster 101 :lol

I do wonder if she is able to do the exercise of stairs being treated for heartworms? I always thought, but may be mistaken, or the protocols may have changed, that during heartworm treatment they should be kept as quiet as possible and leash walked for potty.

She is a beauty and has earned every moment of spoiling you give "Sweet Sadie". :wub:

They're doing a three-phase treatment. This first month she takes a heartguard to kill off the baby heartworms and an antibiotic. Next month she gets a single dose of the actual treatment to kill off the smaller worms, and then the month after she gets a double dose to kill off anything that's left. The vet said that's the best/safest treatment because you're spreading out the killing, which lessens the risk of having the worms break off and kill Sadie. During the 2 months of the actual treatment, we'll have to limit her movement as much as possible because the worms can break off and kill her if she gets excited. I'm not sure if she'll be allowed to do the stairs or not, I'll have to talk to the vet when she gets the treatment. It will be a rough couple of months though, because I know she's not going to be happy to be stuck on the leash in the back yard, she'll want to run around and play like everyone else.