Getting My First Greyhound This Weekend And Have Some Anxiety

Guest RealClearBlue

Guest RealClearBlue

Hello everyone. This is my first time posting on this forum but i'm a long term lurker due to falling into the greyhound addiction and I don't even have one yet!

Anyways this weekend we will be meeting our potential hound through the local adoption group and will hopefully be settling on one on the same day. I've already have his crate setup, toys, and dog proofed the house to some extent. However I think my over prepping for the dog's arrival has made me develop anxiety to some extent. I've read through Cynthia's book and working through the for dummies book (much harder read imo) and all the information that is out there is a bit overwhelming as far as being mentally prepared for the dog. There is a underlying fear that I'll miss something or not remember something and it will result in a bad outcome.

Just to give some background, me and my significant other have had dogs as kids but having a dog as an adult where we are solely responsible for its well-being is a first for both of us. I feel like I prepared as much as possible but there is always that fear that its not enough.

To cut it short, I wanted to get everyone's input on the routine they went through when they first got their grey and what behavioral issues they had to deal with and how you addressed them? Every story is welcomed!

Edited by RealClearBlue

You can establish any routine that works for your household. Greyhounds are so adaptable. They usually catch on very quickly. Consistency is a must for success. Just relax and enjoy your new hound and if something comes up that you need help with, well GT is here. Feel free to ask for help if you need it.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

It sounds like you are well-prepared (maybe too prepared?!?)

We were able to take 3-4 day weekend when we brought both of our hounds home, and found that really helped in teaching them to be alone.

And from reading you know that your hound will probably be timid/shy/nervous for a while, and they will most-likely be thankful for the crate you have provided them to have a safe spot to go to get away from all this "new".

Just go slow, have patience, cause it can take months for these guys to adjust... and it also can take 10 minutes... so have fun, take pictures, and hope you get as much info from GT as I have over the years.

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).

Wait till your grey comes home, and see how he/she does. My Bella walked into our house on the first day, took a tour of the house and plopped on the couch. 1 pee accident in over 1 year (my fault didn't realize dbf hadn't let her out), and a few garbage surfing issues...nothing else. It was THAT easy, yours could be just like that ;)

Greyhound Collars : www.collartown.ca

Maggie (the human servant), with Miss Bella, racing name "A Star Blackieto"

13380965654_dba9a12b29.jpg

Guest KatJon

Hello and welcome! This forum is pretty awesome - everyone is extremely helpful, so any questions you have, just ask away!

My boyfriend and I just got our first grey last Friday. We experienced some of the same anxiety you're going though, especially since we've been talking about getting a greyhound for a long time, just waiting for the right timing (no trips, vacations set up, etc.) I also had a dog growing up, but this is the first "real" responsibility as well.

When it comes to picking a dog, make sure your adoption group knows all the important things about your lifestyle so they can help you find a good fit. Do you travel a lot? Is your home busy or quiet? Those kind of things.

The first 3 days with our grey (his name is Rhythm) were great! He has an awesome temperament, listens well, likes going on long walks, and even did some zoomies in the back yard. Our only problem is separation anxiety. Rhythm howls and whines the entire time we're gone from the house. We've already had neighbors complain. My advice to you is to start "alone training" as soon as possible. We spent a lot of the first weekend with the dog (hey, it's exciting!) but then had to leave him in the crate all day yesterday (with one potty break / walk around lunch time). We did a little bit of work over the weekend trying to get him used to the crate, but it apparently wasn't enough. Your dog hopefully won't have this problem anyway, but it's a pretty common problem, especially with a one-dog household. Just something to think about :)

I agree on the dummies book. I skimmed some of the chapters, but it's good to know what kind of information is in there in case you need it.

Good luck picking out your dog! It's an exciting time :colgate Make sure to take lots of pictures!

Guest bethac

Congratulations - be sure to post pictures of your new hound! :thumbs-up

It sounds like you are well-prepared, but just like becoming a new parent ... you never really know exactly what it's going to be like until you bring the "baby" home.

I think your anxiety is normal - don't be too hard on yourself. As Judy said, greyhounds (all dogs, really) thrive on routine and consistency so figure out what routine works best for you and your hound will catch on. It can take a few months for their personalities to blossom, so don't be surprised to see your hound change some over time.

This is a very exciting weekend for you. Good luck choosing your hound and welcome! :confetti

Our boy was a bounce so he was super easy. We basically didn't do anything or worry about anything. And we had just sent our foster (our "first" dog) to his new home about half a week prior so we were still in a routine. Our foster was fresh off the track so he's probably a better example. He was also the first dog we'd ever had so we were in the same boat... very excited, very prepared, but very nervous.

We took our foster out every hour or so when we were home and he was loose (but he never strayed far from us otherwise I would have put him on a leash to keep him close). He was crated when we were gone, and we also crated sometimes while we were home as part of our alone training with him. He had some anxiety for the first couple of days when we would leave (little bit of whining and barking according to our landlord) but once he realized we always came back he settled down and didn't mind.

We had no behaviour issues with either dog really. Our foster just had the week of "separation anxiety" and our boy has the odd dog issue (he doesn't like dominant, large males or huskies with blue eyes). No counter surfing, trash stealing, chewing, barking, etc.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Congratulations & welcome!!!!!

Lots of good advice here; I have nothing else to add. Mine was super easy because he'd been in a foster home for a year.

Just relax & see what happens.

Feel free to come here & ask anything & everything. Everyone is super nice & no question is too small or silly.

And whatever happens that seems to be baffling to you, know that someone here has been there, done that, & will be

happy to share experiences.

Best wishes for a perfect fit!!!!!

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

First, welcome to the cult of the greyhound.

Now, you WILL miss something, or otherwise mess up. EVERYONE here has at one point. No worries. As others have said, greyhounds are very adaptable and are not made of glass. Ask questions and do your best, it will be fine.

Chad

Guest Wasserbuffel

We got our hound late-ish on a Friday evening and went back to work beginning Monday. It took her a couple weeks to ajust to being alone and grow accustomed to our schedule, but she did and we couldn't love her more.

That first weekend, however, was tough. The moment the couple who brought her over left she pooped on the floor in the spare room. Then she proceeded to scream all night. Saturday she wouldn't toilet on leash, or stop pacing and whining.

The night screaming was expected, especially since she couldn't sleep in our room because she couldn't yet do stairs. I slept on the spare bed in the room with her crate after the first two nights until I taught her to use the stairs. The pacing and whining was just a symptom of the stress she was under. She came off the track and was fostered in three homes and spayed before landing at my place just a month later. That's a lot for one little dog to deal with.

After the first couple days of ajusting we only encountered a few behavioral issues:

1. She had separation anxiety for a couple weeks. It wasn't major and with alone training she soon became accustomed to being left alone.

2. She got in the trash and counter surfed. The trash digging was cured by simply facing the can so the opening is toward the wall (apparently she wasn't very determined). The penny can trick, as described in the Dummies book took only twice to prevent future counter surfing (except for a single incident many months later).

3. After about 6-8 months she began to guard the furniture. Kicking her off and not allowing her on the furniture for a few weeks taught her that she needed to share (big dramatic sighs and very sad eyes were commonplace in the house while she had to stay on her *gasp, dog bed). We did have to repeat this training a couple times.

1) Relax

2) Don't read the training section unless you need specific advice or else you will stare at your dog expecting them to eat you in the middle of the night. True fact.

3) Have fun.

4) Long walks were essential for me as it tired out the dog, helped me think, and helped us bond.

5) Relax

6) They really are that lazy, it does not hate you, it is not bored.

7) Get ready to buy a coat.

8) Have fun.

9) Greyhounds not shedding is a myth - I swear it.

10) Relax, have fun, they really are that lazy.

Guest Wasserbuffel
6) They really are that lazy, it does not hate you, it is not bored.

HA! This is so true. If I weren't already used to being ignored by a couple lazy cats, I might have been worried about being ifnored by the lazier dog!

I brought her in, taught her to go up and down the stairs that same day, crated her at night for the first week (since she was fresh from a kennel environment, there had been no housetraining done) and that was pretty much it. Oh, and I had to help her jump into the car the first bunch of times. Ditched the crate after a week and gave her the run of the house. Easy peasy. I never had to do any alone training, either.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest RealClearBlue

Thanks for all the replies and more are definitely appreciated! I guess just relaxing and handling things as they come is probably the best option. Also glad to see a variety of different first grey stories as it does give more context of what bringing a grey into your home for the first time is like.

We got Sherri on a Friday afternoon and knew by the next morning she was perfect for us, even great with our two cats. The following night, we had a couple of old friends drop in and she was

so well behaved-she greeted them politely at the door and then went to her bed and laid on it until they left, when she promptly got up to say good-bye. They couldn't believe that we had only had her

for one day! She was crated for the first couple of weeks when we weren't home and after that she had free run of the house (along with the cats). From the first night, she has slept in our bedroom,

has never tried to get up on the furniture (I've given up inviting her as she is not interested) and has just been a sweetheart. She does follow us from room to room sometimes and does her little

happy dance when asked if she wants to go in the car. She has traveled with us to New York and Virginia on several occasions and absolutely loves to go on my sister's pontoon boat.

I was a little nervous at first too. It had been nine years since our Dalmatian went to the bridge, but I did a lot of research on greys and went to meet and greets and have never doubted that we did

the right thing. These dogs are so loving, affectionate and seem to understand what is going on in our heads. Congratulations on your new addition. Settle into a routine, be patient and you will

have the best companion you could ever hope for. Good luck and post pics!

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Relax!

I, too, was over prepared. Roscoe was to be my first dog ever. I read every book, read every post in this forum, bought everything I thought I needed, obsessed obsessed obsessed. Truth is, you can only be so prepared. Only when you get your dog and bring him home will you know what to do.

Roscoe was the perfect first dog. It was me that was the basket case. His first morning home, he did some pacing and whining. I started crying my fool head off because I didn't know what he wanted. He ended up laying down and watching me sob on the floor. After I got all my anxiety out, we went for a walk, and everything was good from there. :)

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Lisa with Finnegan (Nina's Fire Fly) and Sage (Gil's Selma). Always missing Roscoe
www.popdogdesigns.net pop art prints, custom portraits and collars

For sure take a deep breath and relax. Despite the repeated stories and urging on internet forums, the dirty little secret is that they are in fact, dogs.

Yes, their blood work is different but most vets these days know that. If not you can educate yourself and then educate them.

Yes many have sleep startle (especially at first) and some have SA, but those things also happen in many other breeds.

You've done more than the usual homework and are sure to be great adopters...just don't overthink it..

I picked up my first greyhound in Abilene, Kansas in 1999. While they were getting her from the farm I went to the Greyhound Hall of Fame and met greeter Bets on Chig, the first greyhound I'd ever met up close and personal.

We were a great pair -- I'd never seen a greyhound before except from the standa at Juaez and Kenosha -- and Little Girl was two and had never been anywhere but her run at the farm.

Off we went and somehow by golly we muddled through.

Harley stepped of the hauler from Bluffs and into my heart and never missed a beat. I failed fostering Rex in 4 hours when he and Poodle curled up together. Buck had been in the kennel more than a year and he walked in and made himself at home. He was roaching the first night.

You'll be fine. Just try and listen to what the dog is telling you.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest KatJon

I think we over-prepared too. Read lots of books, maybe too many.... Sometimes would read the sections about health issues or first aid and get freaked out. But then had to take a step back and realize that that's not the main part of everyday life with a dog.

The first couple days Rhythm was in the house, I kept saying things like "we have a dog...?!" and "I can't get over how BIG he is!" haha. We just weren't used to having another animal besides the cat in the house.

Congrats and good luck!

Just a few things, yes...many vets do understand the difference in grey blood work and anesthesia, etc., but don't be afraid to be sure and ask your vet about his/her experience with greys.

Also, when you are walking your grey, he/she might be nervous and spooky initially. Martingale collars are great - but can be slipped. You might want to consider a harness. I use a harness and collar on my greys....my JJ is a bit excitable and that helps - and my Dustin slipped a martingale once and got away - worst feeling in the world. There are harnesses designed for the greys body shape - and a few people here can sell them to you.

I bought a crate initially for our first grey, EZ - but he took one look at it, walked to a different spot and laid down....end of the crate. But, if you don't know your hound and aren't sure if he'll get into stuff, the crate is safer - unless you confine to a room.

And this place is a great source of information. By the way, whoever said not to read this topic unless they need something specific is dead on!! :lol It's easy to tranfer some of this onto our own hounds!!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

My first greyhound was also my first "grown-up" dog. I prepared, worried, prepared some more, worried some more :rolleyes: She was great. Looking back, there are some things I would do differently, but I didn't know any better, and she survived :) She had been through a stressful couple of months before I got her, most of which I didn't know about at the time, and she was still fine.

They really are dogs :eek and used to people. They really are that lazy! You may not see your dog's real personality at first, don't worry if they are a bit withdrawn, they are just getting used to their new world.

Have fun!

Don't panic! And don't let the stories of separation anxiety scare you. What you're NOT seeing on the forum are stories about "Hey! I got my greyhound on Saturday, and he's totally relaxed, mellow, and happy to be here," cause those people don't need help. But you're probably more likely to not have any serious issues than you are! At least I hope...

I think the most important thing to know is that the dog you bring home is NOT who your dog will be in a week, a month, six months, even a year. Everything changes for a retired racer. Everything. Try to remember that. Don't expect your dog to run into the house and grab the toys you so lovingly picked out and play with them like a Labrador. That might come later--or not. Don't expect your dog to understand that the loaf of bread on the counter isn't up for grabs! He's never had to have manners beyond not fighting and not climbing into another dog's crate.

Your dog might be pretty good on a leash (many are) or he might not be. Mine wasn't. Of all the things he learned in the first few months, he learned that one faster and more thoroughly than anything else.

Mirror and plate glass windows and doors are things he may never have seen. Please consider putting blue painters tape on any glass doors or windows he can easily reach as a visual cue there is a barrier. Your dog will probably not have any clue its not supposed to go to the bathroom in your house! Housebreak it as if it's a puppy, and do NOT punish the dog in any way should it have an accident!

And don't be afraid to ask questions on Greytalk! Remember, there are no stupid questions--just stupid answers. Wait! That's not right! Just kidding--remember to keep your sense of humor intact!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest amazing_gracie

Don't worry, you and your pup will be fine.

We have had our Gracie for about 11 months. Having her in our lives has been a rewarding journey and a wonderful learning experience. We brought her home on a Sunday and both my hubby and I had to work the next day, so we got started on alone training right away.

Our girl came right off the track, so for the first week or so, we used the "umbilical cord method" for housetraining. In all the time we've had her, she's had only one accident and that was because my hubby was sick and he wasn't paying attention to her signals.

In the beginning we had some mild separation anxiety issues, just barking while we were out. We stopped crating her when we were not home after about a month. She does very well on her own. We are gone about 8 hours a day. Kongs are indispensable in the alone training. She gets her meals in 2 Kongs when we leave so she has something to do.

From the beginning, we got her on a potty schedule. We take a 15 minute walk in the morning and again before bed everyday, with another quick potty break around 5pm.

She has a dog bed in our bedroom since the first night. She has never cried at night.

We had some small issues with hardwood floors, stairs, getting in the car. With patience and what I call "confidence building sessions" we got past all the issues.

Deep breaths, patience and love all make a big difference! Take lots of walks together - you will form a bond quicker that way. Remember your dog is looking to you for guidance on his new environment.

Best wishes on your new "baby!" :)

Guest maidmarcia

Yay for adopting a grey! I wouldn't be too anxious about it, although having excited butterflies is awesome :D I only had one pee incident with Licorice and I've had him for over six months now! We bonded right away and the most difficult part with bringing him into my household was teaching him how to maneuver the stairs. I'm sure everything will go fine for you and I hope you can relax and enjoy it :)

Guest driser

This is long because you sound a lot like my husband and I! My husband had (outdoor dogs) as a child. I came from a cat home and had ZERO experience with dogs. We started learning about Greyhounds 10 years ago but in a career that requires frequent moves, we waited. UNTIL THIS PAST JUNE! We thought we wanted a petite female, but it ended up being a large male that was the right fit for this family which includes a 10 year old indoor-only cat. I agree with a previous post about making sure your adoption group knows what's important to you. As my husband puts it, "They may not give you the dog you want, but you'll get the dog you need." Which turns out to be the dog you'll LOVE! Aside from being taken aback by our guy's size he was perfect for us.

Like you, (over the years) we read Cynthia's book, and Retired Racers for Dummies (we read those two twice!) PLUS Leader of the Pack by Baer and Duno, and A Member of the Family by Millan, and Childproofing Your Dog, and Cesar's Way. :) Could you tell I was nervous?!

And to be honest, I was even nervous AFTER we got him and to be perfectly frank, wondered if we made a mistake. Why? It was a BIG adjustment for me. Cats are easy and don't require a schedule that affects mine. But let me encourage you, I now look back and giggle that I felt that way. I just told someone today that we are dumbfounded by how smart our guy is and quickly he learns. Granted, we're comparing him to our cat. LOL

Will yours come from a foster home? Ours did, so initially we tried to adhere to the schedule they had him on there so as to not rock his world more than it was already about to be rocked just moving to a yet another house. But within weeks we had him on our schedule and things run like clockwork now. Also, because he came from a foster home we already knew that he was house broken which proved to be 100% true and we fortunately had no accidents. They used a kennel and we were fortunate that he's one of the Greyhounds that loves his kennel; still does! In the beginning we had two because they are too large to drag up/down stairs.

When we initially arrived home with him, we took him for a walk around the neighborhood BEFORE we took him into the house so he could check out his new territory with his nose but also because a tired dog is a good dog. :) We really recommend this.

Bedroom crate:

After 3 weeks we started leaving the crate door open at night. Then week 4 we collapsed it and put it away and brought in an XXL bed which he LOVES. We prop the door "shut" so cat can come and go but to send the message to him that we stay in the bedroom. My husband thinks its unnecessary because he sleeps through the night.

Downstairs crate:

It's in a location that he can see the front door, the kitchen, family room, breakfast nook, and entrance from garage so it's a primo location where he could see us. Because it's so close to the kitchen and because he's so big we use it during meal times too. He has to wait in his kennel (door open) patiently while we get his breakfast/dinner together. This is where he blows us away. We used to let him do the happy dance while we prepared his meals because we thought it was cute. When we made the change, it literally took mere days for him to catch on. We also use this crate for when we are away from home. I work from home so he is with one or both of us A LOT so when we are away he gets nervous and though he's not destructive he is drawn to anything that is strongly scented like us, basically anything we've sweat in: shoes, hats, BRAS. He doesn't meant to ruin such things, but in picking them up to take them to his bed to snuggle them he inevitably punctures them. So after losing a couple hats, bras, and shoe ... we went back to crating him when we are away. When he hears our keys jingle he runs downstairs and gets in his crate! When we are going somewhere he can go with us we have to get him OUT of his kennel to come with us because he always assumes his kennel is where he should be. We never have to coerce him! Though he does get 2-3 pieces of kibble for going in on his own accord. ;)

Beds:

We quickly realized that we needed a bed in every room we frequent so he has one in the living room, family room, and our bedroom. I've found many of the large beds don't come with enough stuffing so if you're not afraid of resewing a seam ... I got batting from Walmart and over stuffed his two main beds and he loves them! I also learned that beds at Home Goods are not only attractive, but much less expensive so if you have a Home Goods or TJMAX, check them out for beds! I got his two main beds from Home Goods. I did have to go a couple times though because they don't always have the XL beds, but I ended up getting an XXL "Great Dane" bed for $35 + $4 of extra batting = cheap cheap! Such stores are also great place to get inexpensive stuffy/squeak toys and blankets. I got two really nice/plush throws at TJMAX that are his nesting blankets (he sleeps better covered up) and I got two fleece blankets at Good Will and washed them in hot water. Those are great for outdoors or the truck. Dog stuff adds up, that's why I shopped around for the bargains! Though there is a full price toy at Petco I've been eyeing for Christmas. :)

Now I hope you don't have this experience and I don't share this to scare you! Our guy had hookworm and it took 3 rounds of Panacur to kill them all, so his first 2 months were rough for him because he didn't feel good. Even after Panacur he was still having diarrhea, but that turned out to be a chicken sensitivity and now that he's on lamb/rice kibble his poop has never been better! I tell you that just in case you run into a digestive issue in the beginning. If you do, get him checked for worms even if he was given a general de-wormer when he came off track, treat as necessary; give him time to settle in and de-stress; and know (I didn't) that PetSmart/Petco like stores will let you return food that doesn't work for him so save receipts!

He did great meeting our cat and she surprised us too, we were surprised that she didn't care he was here and still wanted to be as connected to us as she was prior to his arrival. (His foster home had a cat too.) Now, months later, we can say "he loves his kitty!" Though he wishes she would play with him. ;) But in the morning with butt and tail wagging he stands over her gleefully with a big smile on his face as if to say, "MORNIN'!!" She'll lift her gaze and tell him to "easy boy, I haven't had my coffee."

Last bit of advice, if he's a bit skittish with strangers or kids, once he's settled in with you, take him to your group's meet and greets so he can see other Greyhounds not freaking out. That has proved priceless for us. He is a quick learner, but he learns especially fast when he sees another Greyhound do something.

Excited for you! Can you tell?