What Is She Doing

nessa

This may have been discussed before and I think there is a name for this behavior? But why does she stand under this bush very still for periods of time. She has done this as long back I can remember of the 9 years she has been with us and only/ always this one bush.?? Thanks.

GEDC0863-1.jpg

GEDC0864-1.jpg

ho5U2p6.jpg?1

Echo does that all the time. She's itching her back. Echo doesn't move around very well and can't itch her back upside down in the grass, so she does it in the bushes.

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

I read they do it in times of stress, whether it's physical or emotional, I haven't a clue. In researching it it seems Bull Dogs really have a predisposition to do it so there is a theory that it's genetic also. Got me, I don't have a dog that does it but I find it interesting.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

She is very normal. It's a "Greyhound Thing". Why we love them so much.

http://www.grassmere-animal-hospital.com/other_greyhound_things.htm

Edited by Tallgreydogmom

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

My Toni does bush trancing. It doesn't seem to be a stress behavior for her. In fact, she mostly does it when she's calm. It seems more a "meditation" thing for her - she won't even stop for the promise of a treat! Toni has two or three bushes in a row that she trances through, and she'll do it over and over and over. She;ll walk through v-e-r-y slowly, with the branches rubbing her sides and back. When she's done all the way through she will circle back around and start all over again. It takes her nearly a minute to trance through the bush line.

I've tried getting a video, but she stops doing it when I get the camera out! :rolleyes:

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I don't know if what Maddie does is called trancing but almost every morning on our walks (we take the same route) she rubs her back (almost like a cat scratching their back ) up against a low lying tree and it is the same tree and then turns around and does the same thing. It is a riot. She does it even with her coat on in the winter.

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

Tasha has been doing the same thing this summer. Here are some photos I snapped of her Trancing. It is really weird to watch her slowly walk around the bush then stand there with her eyes closed. I wish I knew what she was thinking.

Standing in the Bush

IntheBush.jpg

Trancing (what in the world is she doing)

Trancing.jpg

2 Minutes later and she's back to normal

2Minuteslater.jpg

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Wow, I never knew this was a common thing. Manny did this all the time during our walks, and loved "trancing" in one particular bush. I just thought it was him being "special" :lol

Edited by zombrie

My angel, Lima would do this in my ficus tree, or shrubs in the yard or sometimes even my houseplants blush.gif I read somewhere that they are tasting the air as they lick? Her little eyes used to roll back in her head and she would just plain zone out! Boy do I miss that :)

Lima%252520in%252520wisteria%252520052307%252520003.jpg

Jody, Leah & Jimmie
Tavasci%2520august%2520sunset%2520%2528C
You left us much, much too soon Lima & Chip :brokenheart

Fuzzy trances in our family room around an artificial ficus tree. He just goes around and around in a circle.

FuzzyinTree.jpg

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Fuzzy trances in our family room around an artificial ficus tree. He just goes around and around in a circle.

FuzzyinTree.jpg

:lol This just made me laugh. Actually, all of this thread made me laugh. Silly hounds :wub:

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest jettcricket

FuzzyinTree.jpg

Irene...that is sooo funny. Jett used to do it too to our silk trees in the house...we used to call "Silking". Gotta love it!! :lol

Guest jedortia

I used to have a dog (non grey) that would do this. She would walk around the base of the tree really, really slowly and would look like she was in some kind of trance :huh

My Toni does bush trancing. It doesn't seem to be a stress behavior for her. In fact, she mostly does it when she's calm. It seems more a "meditation" thing for her - she won't even stop for the promise of a treat! Toni has two or three bushes in a row that she trances through, and she'll do it over and over and over. She;ll walk through v-e-r-y slowly, with the branches rubbing her sides and back. When she's done all the way through she will circle back around and start all over again. It takes her nearly a minute to trance through the bush line.

I've tried getting a video, but she stops doing it when I get the camera out! :rolleyes:

Too funny... I agree with Greysmom.

I have seen other breeds do this too. My sweet Rottie girl was a frequent trancer. She really enjoyed it. It was as if she enjoyed the branches tickling her back. All the hounds I've seen do this are usually very calm, relaxed, and happy. I wish they could talk! :)

Abel trances all the time, he steps real high and than extends his front legs out real far, like he is in slow motion. He also arches his tail and just stares into space. I love watching him do this :wub: He even does it on our walks when we get close to bushes. Kerri doesn't trance, she just stands in the bushes :lol

gallery_1200_2898_10946.jpg

Guest greytgrandma

Hot Rod has his fav trance bush in his yard. And when I walk him to the park there is a row of bushy trees he loves to slowly walk round and round under them rubbing on them.