My Puppy Has Me Bloody

Guest alkeryia

Guest alkeryia

Even though I have had a total of 19 greys in the last 8 years (my own and fosters), last week I decided to try something new, and acquired a 12 week old greyhound puppy. :lol: Ninety percent of the time she is sweet and gentle. The other 10%, I can't help but wonder why I look like a steak to her. I need some serious suggestions on how to stop what I call puppy attacks. Usually it is outside, but not always, and starts out as play and ends with blood. :ohno Mine. I will enroll her in puppy classes soon, but she needs another set of vaccinations first (or so I am told). I am so used to retired, peaceful racers.....help. Other than this, she has done well with housebreaking, and her jumping is almost solved. I can't help but wonder what vibe she is getting from me. She does this to others in the house (no small kids), but mostly it is me. Please my Greytalk friends who have experience with this. I don't want to be harsh, but maybe I need to be. I want to enjoy her puppyhood, and I have to admit that right now, I am not. :huh

Thanks!

Whatever form of play you're participating in with her that gets her that excited--stop doing it!

When she lays teeth on you, make a noise like the greyhound scream of death (or as close as you can come). That'll let her know it hurts in a language she can understand. Redirect her little puppy face to something like a stuffy or a rope toy.

It's really tempting to romp and wrestle when they're little, but I too have been injured more than once by over-excited puppies!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

If possible, your first response would be to immediately turn away and stop engaging with her. That way she doesn't get what she wants from doing what she wants. If she is persistent and doesn't stop biting, put her in a time out - in an x-pen or crate until she calms down. Whenever she gets in that "mood" you can also re-direct her biting behavior towards a chew bone or her favorite toy.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Now you know where greyhounds with scars get them. They're not called landsharks for nothing. :lol I'd divert her attention with toys. Use balls, throw stuffies, anything she can attack but you. I've seen greyhound puppies at play and they want to chase and chew on something.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

it will subside, felix was in and out of biting my arm especially during training. as a wee pup it was really easy to redirect him and he learned and loved to chew on appropiate objects. around 7 months he started attacking my arm during heeling exercises and on walks. not fun, bitter lemon did not work, distracting him didn't either.as the trainer who i worked with and have know for many years would say,"felix is being a baaaaad boy!" a pop on the leash and he learned to ground his feet and keep his mouth to himself. yes, he tested me many, many times. same response he finally learned that heeling ment heeling not biting and mouthing me. did i survive- yes,did felix- he heels beautifully and no emontional scars what so ever, did my favortie denim shirt survive--not a chance.

Edited by cleptogrey

Guest alkeryia

You have all made me feel a bit better. Let me elaborate a little. Sometimes it is during play (rubbing tummy, tug of war) and then it is easy to just stop. :angryfire The more difficult times come when we are simply walking back to the gate. The yard is completely fenced, so from the dog pen to the gate (about 30 ft) she is unleashed (I have learned to always have a leash now)and will go after my legs, even if I am ignoring her. :blink: I learned today that if I leash her and bring her up short I will regain control. Then playtime is OVER and in the house we go. Maybe I am doing this correctly, and I am just nervous. I will try the scream of death tomorrow for sure. If you read that RI woman gets committed for screaming like a greyhound you will know who it is! :blush

You have all made me feel a bit better. Let me elaborate a little. Sometimes it is during play (rubbing tummy, tug of war) and then it is easy to just stop. :angryfire The more difficult times come when we are simply walking back to the gate. The yard is completely fenced, so from the dog pen to the gate (about 30 ft) she is unleashed (I have learned to always have a leash now)and will go after my legs, even if I am ignoring her. :blink: I learned today that if I leash her and bring her up short I will regain control. Then playtime is OVER and in the house we go. Maybe I am doing this correctly, and I am just nervous. I will try the scream of death tomorrow for sure. If you read that RI woman gets committed for screaming like a greyhound you will know who it is! :blush

The shrieking really should help!

If I can hear you over hear in Canton, MA I'll know you're giving it your very best shot!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest WhiteWave

I found a sharp "NO" and turning away from them helped. Riddick didn't bit me, but when I came home he would grab my pant leg right behind the knee and he ripped several pairs of work pants. But he is a big boy now at 4 months old and is doing better! :)

He also pesters the other dogs and will bite them! I had to start muzzling him during run time or he does this:

Click on image to see video (he bites Xander when he runs)

th_101_3457.jpg

We survived Tosca, who we got at about 3 months old and is now aged 5 years. The puppy nipping will subside. At puppy class really work on "off" as in four feet in the floor. Tosca still jumps up especially when we get home and I have bruises regularly because of that. Good luck!

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Guest Scouts_mom

I've used the "yip of pain" on both cats and dogs. It does work. If you watch puppies or kittens play, when one yips, the other will stop what it is doing.

Edited by Scouts_mom

Guest iconsmum

Need to figure out how to manage it while she's still being trained...Keep a light 8-foot drop line on her when she's outside - that way you can offer her a quick time out when she starts after you - you need to put out some safe spots in the back yard that you can get to with dignity when she starts in, like a picnic table? a big chair? maybe set up a couple and then rehearse how it's all going to go when she's not around. The trick is not to let yourself get into a position where she's chasing you, or making you look around for escape from the teethies. You might also don a pair of light gloves for when you're out with her, and wear nip-lessening long pants too. That way, you can shriek like a dog-banshee that she's hurt you, pick up her drop line, walk her matter of factly to her time out spot (where she can't see or interact with you) deposit her, and disappear for a minute. Reappear, let her out still wearing the drop line, and go about your business -till she does it again, which she will lol , rinse and repeat. I leave drop lines on clients' dogs in the house as well because it's a smooth way of redirecting unwanted behaviour without saying a word. It also prevents them learning to play keep away when their recall's still crappy....the more you can prevent them from blowing you off, the better....lots of luck!!

Guest Elaine

Well, I'll probably get flamed, however....

After raising several litters of greyhound pups, this is what I've found that works.

When they lay teeth on me, I push them away with a sharp "NO!". Repeat as needed. If after several push aways they come back and do it again, I give them a flick of the finger right on the nose with a sharp, "NO".

If they continue to try, they get shunned, ignored, put into their crate.

It is important that they learn quickly that biting humans is unacceptable and that it will not be tolerated.

Elaine @ DM Greyhounds

Glad to see it is pretty common behavior in puppies.

Lehto also does it, specially with my husband and has drawn blood several times.

Had to tell him that there would be no more playing if Lehto used his teeth.

Lehto knows not to do it with me, I will not allow it, but it also costed me a pair of work out pants.

Right now he is teething and seems be be a bit worse again, so I make sure he has a lot of stuff to chew on, plenty of sticks when we take a walk and since yesterday he is carrying a tennis ball when he goes out.

This of you that have raised puppies, is it easier to raise two together, so they nip and play with each other? I always say that I want to raise two at a time for that reason, if my reasoning is correct, that is. If I'm wrong I really don't need TWO needly mouths after me! :lol

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest Swifthounds

This of you that have raised puppies, is it easier to raise two together, so they nip and play with each other? I always say that I want to raise two at a time for that reason, if my reasoning is correct, that is. If I'm wrong I really don't need TWO needly mouths after me! :lol

Two things really factor into bite inhibition:

1) pups being kept together with littermates and/or mom until at least 11 weeks

2) pup having another greyhound in the house that will discipline/teach the pup

If you have neither of those, the onus in teaching bite inhibition falls entirely to the human, and you're teaching it basically from scratch (as opposed to generalizing from undesirable interactions with littermates or mom). It can be done, but it's exponentially more demanding. Why some groups insist on adopting out greyhound pups in the single digit weeks I'll never understand, but some do and the adopters inevitably have more issues than groups that wait or good breeders who do the same.

Guest alkeryia

Today the funniest thing happened! The puppy nipping has gotten better through a combination of all that was suggested above. Several times in the last few days, when Panda had something she KNEW was contraband, she would growl at me when I tried to remove it. I KNEW this had to stop, so I resorted to NILIF, which changed dramatically how she looked at me. :colgate Today she gave me a growl again, and I looked at her with THE most angry face I could ~~~> :angry: and BARKED LOUDLY at her. The reaction was priceless...ears down, tail down, and a very confused look. After ignoring her for a while, she was very penitent. Things are coming along, can you hear me in Canton yet?? :)

I looked at her with THE most angry face I could ~~~> :angry: and BARKED LOUDLY at her.

Lordy, what I would give to be a little flea on your wall, watching this :lol

Good luck; it sounds as if you're getting and using really good advice. When one of my hedgies bites me, I cover their nose with my thumb and finger so they can't breathe and have to let go. Probably won't work with a puppy ... or will it?

Jennifer

large.Luna-siggy2.jpg.680c6a7875af13e962feb80ca4d0cfb7.jpg

Jennie with her hedgehogs and Guinea pigs, and remembering Luna, Queen of the Piggies

Guest Lovey_Hounds

Well, I'll probably get flamed, however....

After raising several litters of greyhound pups, this is what I've found that works.

When they lay teeth on me, I push them away with a sharp "NO!". Repeat as needed. If after several push aways they come back and do it again, I give them a flick of the finger right on the nose with a sharp, "NO".

If they continue to try, they get shunned, ignored, put into their crate.

It is important that they learn quickly that biting humans is unacceptable and that it will not be tolerated.

Elaine @ DM Greyhounds

That nose flick works well doesnt it.

I have raised 4 Greyhound puppies in my home and the biting does stop but they need to learn to understand that biting people is very bad and will NOT be tolerated. I would suggest using a very stern NO when the pup is biting, why? because are you really prepared to yelp everytime the pup does something bad for the rest of its life? if you use no they get to know the word and tone and it can be used for more things than biting.

I would suggest taking a look a a book called "how to raise a puppy you can live with" it has some great tips.

Guest ReleaseTheHound

Good advice here. I have read that when a puppy is paying too hard, the momma dog gently takes the puppy's muzzle in her mouth. It physically prevents biting for a moment, and probably reminds him who is boss. When we first got my bridge girl Kelly she tended to nip, and gently grabbing her muzzle plus a verbal "no" helped her learn not to nip. I only used this for specific "you are playing too hard"situations