It's Official

Gee, I am so sorry to read this. He may adjust to his surroundings and do fine. Hugs for both of you.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Even if I did have an extra 3 grand hanging around for cataract surgery I am not sure I'd do it, but that is a moot point as cataract surgery isn't happening.

I've done the best I can for this guy from the K Mart parking lot in Lubbock almost 10 years ago and he has been my best and most stedfast buddy and wingman. He's paid me back many times over for whatever I've done for him but in addition to his diabetes and sudden onset blindness he has a now grade 3 heart murmer which is getting progressively worse and hints of congestive heart failure but the vet said is the least of our worries this week.

I am just so sad that we are traveling down this slippery slope. He fell on the back steps today. I am off tomorrow and will try to work with him. Steps seem to be the only problem now. He is fine with furniture and the dog door but steps are hard both up and down. Ideas?

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest mirthlesstroll

First, ((((hugs)))) Can you buy or make a ramp for him? I don't know how handy you are, but you could make one out of a piece of plywood - use deck screws to attach 2x4 s from the bottom, and staple indoor/outdoor carpet to the top, between the rails for traction. Swipe some scented oil along the rails so Poodle knows where they are, and he's back in business!

Plywood ramp?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

{{{{{{{{{{Poodle}}}}}}}}}}

{{{{{{{{{{Pam}}}}}}}}}}

what she said.

:bighug

Mary Semper Fi, Dad - I miss you. Remembering Carla Benoist, a Greyhound/Pibble's bestest friend, Princess Zoe Brick-Butt, the little IG with the huge impact on hearts around the world - Miz Foxy - Greyhound Trish - Batman, the Roman-nosed Gentleman - Profile, the Handsome Man - Hunky the Hunkalicious - Jeany the Beautiful Lady- Zema, the most beautiful girl in the world - Jessie, the lovable nuisance - and my 3 Greys: my Angie-girl, my Casey-girl, and The Majestic Pippin, running forever in my heart. (I will always love you and miss you,my friends)

Even if I did have an extra 3 grand hanging around for cataract surgery I am not sure I'd do it, but that is a moot point as cataract surgery isn't happening.

I've done the best I can for this guy from the K Mart parking lot in Lubbock almost 10 years ago and he has been my best and most stedfast buddy and wingman. He's paid me back many times over for whatever I've done for him but in addition to his diabetes and sudden onset blindness he has a now grade 3 heart murmer which is getting progressively worse and hints of congestive heart failure but the vet said is the least of our worries this week.

I am just so sad that we are traveling down this slippery slope. He fell on the back steps today. I am off tomorrow and will try to work with him. Steps seem to be the only problem now. He is fine with furniture and the dog door but steps are hard both up and down. Ideas?

So sorry Pam. My poodle, Josh, was diagnosed with diabetes at 8 years old and I had to give him insulin twice a day until he went to The Bridge at 13-1/2. He had glaucoma in one eye and cataracts in both eyes and the doc wanted to operate. However, he would have to be on prednisone for two weeks before and after surgery. Since we could never really control his diabetes, my vet and I agreed that was not an option.

Poodles are so smart, but when he went totally blind, he would bump into everything and looked like the ball in a pin-ball game. They say that dogs adapt when they go blind, but not this guy. I think he was in denial. Miss the guy terribly and it's been 9 years.

Mom to Melly and Dani

Greyhound Bridge Angels - Jessie, Brittne, Buddy,

Red, Chica, Ford and Dodge.

Guest Audeamus

:grouphug:grouphug

When I was a kid and my poodle went blind we went the smell route, different smells for different rooms. We had some scary steps for a blind poodle, so my Mom would carry him up and down them. I think that if he would have lived longer my Dad probably would have wound up making him a ramp for the stairs but he didn't.

Good thoughts for you and Poodle.

Guest LindsaySF

Aww, I'm sorry to hear this. I would think that not moving any furniture, and maybe using a ramp on the stairs, would help a lot. Poodle knows the general layout, so that should be a good boost in the right direction.

I am sorry. We have also had a pup who was blind and unfortunately she never did acclimatize herself to it. I hope your pup fares better.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest mcsheltie

I am REALLY sorry too :( I don't have any first hand experience to offer. Just sending good thoughts your way.

Last week we lost power after it got dark, I was down in the basement. It was pitch black. But I knew where the steps were before I hit them and knew when I was on the top one without feeling around. And this was the first time I have ever had to go up them with no light whatsoever. My point... I bet Poodle will figure it out, he is sooo smart.

Ah, the precious little guy. It must be heartbreaking for you to see him go through this. I'm so sorry.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown