Question About Rabies Shot

My Llewellyn Setter, Maxie, is 18 years old. She had her last rabies shot at age 15 so she would be due for another this year. She gets majorly stressed out if she is made to leave home (colitis, trembling, hiding in the basement, etc.), and it takes two weeks to get her right again (at least that's how long it took the last two times, I am not sure if she could get over it now at her age). I talked it over with the vet when I was there my IG for his shots and the vet felt that at her age to discontinue shots altogether, there is no need to put her through it. She does not go anywhere but the fenced back yard, and I am always outside with her and she does not go out after dark (can't see). There are no cats at all around, and very rarely is there a rabbit or squirrel in the back yard (and when there is they quickly run away when the dogs enter). Has anyone else discontinued shots at an advanced age? I still give her monthly heartworm preventative.

Guest cgl0909

This past year we only did rabies for our 9 year old borzoi. My vet and I felt that at his age he would have plenty resistance to any disease the shots protect against so we didn't even run titers. I wouldn't have done the rabies except we still take him out places and most require that dogs are vaccinated against it.

I think it would be fine to discontinue vaccines at such an advanced age. The only one I would even consider would be rabies, and that's because of the legal requirement, which is really more for public health. What are the chances Maxie will bite someone? What are the chance she'll come into contact with rabid wildlife? If the answer to those questions are slim to none, and your vet is ok with no longer doing rabies, I would go with that.

If you feel more comfortable keeping Maxie current on her rabies vaccine, are there any vets in your area who make house calls?

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Since one of my greyhounds had a bad vaccine reaction, I've found out that many of the people in my adoption group DON'T vacinate their senior (over 10 years old) dogs at all, unless they do lots of meet-n-greets or travel extensively. Our licensing agency will also grant dispensations from vacinations for medical reasons. You might ceck with whoever issues your licenses to see if they do this too.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

With my vets blessing I quit everything but rabies at 9. If you don't have to buy a city license I'd skip that also.

Last year in Texas 11,857 animals were tested for rabies and there were 733 positive cases -- 5.94%.

Breakdown:

Bats - 373

Skunks - 322

Cats - 20

Dogs -16

Followed by raccoons, foxes, horses and cows in that order.

Unless you have a bat colony or a ton of skunks nearby it seems like the odds are less than miniscule your girl will get rabies on a backyard potty break.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Thanks for the input. I am surprised to hear about those who don't vacinate past age 10, that was 8 years ago for her! My greyhound still went for shots at 14 (she passed away 3 months before her 15th birthday). Maxie does not have contact with anyone but me and has never bitten so I am not at all concerned about her biting someone. There are no skunks around here, at least none I have ever seen or smelled! Never seen a racoon here either. She's never left alone in the back yard, and not out there after dark. I think with her age and how easily stresed out she gets that there is no reason to continue shots.

Edited by Sorcha

I also discontinue everything but rabies at age 10 and when Aggie got to be 13 I even discontinued that.

blackgreys5.jpg

, Phoenix, Okie, Casey, and Ellie the Galga; with Aggie, Alexa, Bear,Cody, Gianni V., Missy B, Babette, Bernice, and BooBoo at the Bridge

Guest Swifthounds

You might want to look into whether your state allows for medical exemptions.

Several studies have demonstrated that dogs experience lifetime immunity from rabies with as few as 3 rabies shots (at 6 mos, 18 mos, and 4.5 yrs). After that, the only thing you can increase are chances of a reaction or vaccinosis Currently the Rabies Challenege Fund is conducting a challenge study to extend the legal DOI for rabies from 3 years to 5 years and eventually 7. It would mark a huge leap forward for canine health. If you haven't donated already, look it up.

Edited by Swifthounds

I asked about the rabies booster when my cat was 18. He was failing, and due for a rabies booster. My vet told me that the only case of rabies she'd ever seen was in an indoor-only cat. A bat had gotten into their house.

Given that information, I got him the booster. I'm not sure I'd take the chance, but I understand your worry. Maybe there is a mobile vet who could do it?

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

18? Wow!

My vet told me at George's last visit (he's not quite 9) that I could discontinue heartworm preventative if I wanted, since he's "likely not to live as long as it would take the heartworm to make him sick."

I was horrified!

And I kept him on it!

But at 18? I wouldn't give it to her. I've never heard of a setter living that long! Amazing! Pictures????

Edited by GeorgeofNE

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I will talk to the vet about whether or not to continue giving her monthly heartworm, I did not specifically ask about that when we were talking about discontinuing her shots.

She is a spry old girl! I had to laugh at her the other day as she was romping around the back yard, taking the long way back to go inside and she just had such an expression of joy & happiness on her face (wish I had the camera!). Any recent photos I have of her are on my camera which is at home, so for now from work I just have these that are a couple years old:

100_4142.jpg

MaxiesnowDec05.jpg

She's been with me since 1996 when she was 3 years old. She was a 'no good dog' set loose from a farm where she was bred & raised to be a hunting dog but turned out to be gun shy. She used to be very scared of loud noises but now that she can't hardly hear anymore that's not an issue! I can't go away for more than one night each month to visit my mother (dogs stay home with a dogsitter) otherwise she gets stressed out to the point of being sick. Her secret to long life is Cheerios which she eats for breakfast every morning.

Would NOT discontinue heartworm meds -- disease can cause problems pretty quickly.

What are the laws in your state re rabies vaccines? Might be worth doing a titer for your peace of mind.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest d0ggiem0mma

I agree- continue the HW meds. They really can cause problems quickly, especially in an older dog that may already have cardiac changes.

Now vaccines... at 18 I wouldn't bother. They would probably do more harm than good at this point. My 9 year old had his last vaccines a little over a year ago. He had a reaction & the vet said he probably doesn't need them anyway so don't bother! State law requires a rabies vaccine every 3 years so he will get that, but if it wasn't the law he wouldn't get that either.

For a titer you'd need bloodwork. That would mean taking your girl to the vet--which is the very situation you're trying to avoid.

Keep her on heartworm meds. She enjoys going outside, and the meds help fight other parasitic problems than just heartworm.

Meanwhile, ask your vet's office if they know of a mobile vet. You need someone in mind that you can call if Maxie has any other problems--gets hurt and needs a couple of stitches--something like that. You don't want the stress of hauling her to the vet to fall on top of some other medical emergency.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Holy cow....what a lovely old girl. I'm gonna start eating Cheerios for breakfast!!

:lol Thanks! That all started back about 5 or 6 years ago. I was eating a bowl of Cheerios for breakfast and she sat there, staring at me with drool coming out of her mouth which she has never, ever done before! She wanted those Cheerios and at her age, who was I to deny her? She's had them for breakfast every morning since, most days dry but other times with lactose-free milk (which she goes bug-eyed for). I need to get a photo of her eating her Cheerios some morning, but she is camera shy and often freezes up when a camera is pointed at her.

For a titer you'd need bloodwork. That would mean taking your girl to the vet--which is the very situation you're trying to avoid.

Keep her on heartworm meds. She enjoys going outside, and the meds help fight other parasitic problems than just heartworm.

Meanwhile, ask your vet's office if they know of a mobile vet. You need someone in mind that you can call if Maxie has any other problems--gets hurt and needs a couple of stitches--something like that. You don't want the stress of hauling her to the vet to fall on top of some other medical emergency.

Yes, Maxie is not leaving home for anything while she is still alive and breathing. The stress would likely be too much for her to handle.

As for a mobile vet, I have the number of the one who came out to euthanize Tuna the greyhound last August.

Wow, Maxie looks amazing in those photos, even if they are older photos at 'only' 16 and 17 years old. :) She doesn't even look like she's greying.

My vet told me at George's last visit (he's not quite 9) that I could discontinue heartworm preventative if I wanted, since he's "likely not to live as long as it would take the heartworm to make him sick."

I was horrified!

On the issue of HW preventative, I'd be horrified by this suggestion too! Maybe things are different up north, but here in the southeast, I've seen a couple dogs develop severe clinical signs of heartworm disease within a year of not getting any preventative (with a negative HW test the year before). Granted, this isn't a common scenario and there are also many dogs who live for years with heartworms without getting sick, but the potential risk is there. IMO, the low doses of medication in HW preventative are so safe, and the potential consequences of HW disease so serious, that I would never suggest stopping prevention, regardless of the age of the dog.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest Swifthounds
State law requires a rabies vaccine every 3 years so he will get that, but if it wasn't the law he wouldn't get that either.

It's federal law actually, though state laws can require it more frequently.

I have to say it again. What a cute doggie.

Edited by Swifthounds

I certainly don't want to break the law, but I trust my vet and really does she need it at 18?

Wow, Maxie looks amazing in those photos, even if they are older photos at 'only' 16 and 17 years old. :) She doesn't even look like she's greying.

Thanks. She turned silver not grey! Her white coat developed a shimmer of silver to it, almost like a dusting of frost laying on the grass that glimmers in the sunlight.

Edited by Sorcha

Guest Swifthounds

Depending on what state you live in, you may be able to have your vet sign a medical waiver and get it approved by the state and you would then be violating no laws.

There is no medical reason she would need or even benefit from another rabies vaccine.

I also don't suspect it'll be an issue except possibly for town licensing.

Oh, and have I mentioned she's adorable? Feel free Ro post more pics. :)

at that age I most certainly would NOT vaccinate! After Rainey got hers in July of 2010 and developed seizures shortly after, I swore no more vaccines after age 9 (no way to know if the vaccines where the cause but I'm not taking any more chances). Nube got his 3 year rabies and distemper in January (he turned 9 the month before) so when he's due next at age 12, NO WAY.

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway