Damn Fireworks

Guest lynne893

Guest lynne893

We kinda live in the hood. I mean, we live in the city, lots of punks shoot off fireworks starting in early June probably until early August. We've dealt with this every year.

In our new area, we live close to a big busy street and big apartment complex. Constant noise at night. Greta has been freaked, but we've kept it under control until tonight.

We were outside grilling when these punks set off 9 rounds of M16 (is that what they call the illegal ones?) and both Greta and Swiftie panicked and tried to run inside but the gate was closed to our side entrance. Like 99% of homes in the city in LA, we have bars on the windows and this gate is essentially bars. They tried to run straight through and wedged both of themselves in between the bars. J-sus.

:blink:

Long story short, we did pry the bars apart, got them out but had to take them to the e-vet to make sure no cracked ribs. They're fine. Bruised, tired, a few cuts, Fine.

And I went home with a nice prescription for doggie valium.

PUNKS! Uhghghghhhh! :angryfire

Good grief. Isn't it about time they stopped people selling these things? In England they're illegal too, and outside of the 'proper' fireworks times, people are not supposed to let off fireworks, but they still do and nobody does anything about it. It makes me mad, but none of my dogs has ever done anything like that! Poor dogs! I'm glad they're OK.

I don't understand it. The police here come down like a ton of bricks on anyone carrying an imitation weapon (one of my sons does airsoft and there are some strict regulations about that), and yet people can set off fireworks that sound like small bombs? *Walks off shaking head*

Give Greta and Swiftie a scritch for me! :wub:

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Do range of motion checks on their necks, and watch for front-end limping or their gait being off. When a dog runs head-long into something solid, spinal injuries are probably more likely than rib. The limping would be from referred pain from neck issues. You might also see vestibular-type problems, wobbly, staggering that would indicate concussion or other neuro problems.

Check with vet before medicating, as you can't use NSAIDS and prednisone together.

Hopefully, all will remain well and there will be no long-term effects.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Yes, watch for longer term issues from head injury. Sadie ran into a fence while running a few months before we said goodbye. She had a number of issues going on but was never really active after that. The vet thought she was ok and she seemed it. But I still wonder if something happened to her that day. She was 13 though. So keep an eye on your pups for any changes.

I wish we could effectively legislate noise. Good luck.

finalsiggy.jpg

I'm glad your pups are okay. Fireworks are a nightmare for many dogs, especially Greys. I feel for you as it sounds like they can go off anytime. I hope all Grey owners are keeping their pups close and inside ideally this coming weekend.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Ye gads--I'd think people valium was in order after that.

Scritches all around and I agree with your hounds, I HATE fireworks!

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota

Scary stuff. Where do you live in LA? I lost my heart-dog (half grey named Kobie) because of some mfking jackasses who shot off illegal fireworks - he bolted out of the house, scaled the fence. He was never found. Last year the same jackasses (?), or close enough, were doing the same thing down the hill from my house when I got home from work. I lost it, marched over to them and ripped them new holes at full throttle, then told them I was calling the cops on them and whipped out my cell phone and called the police. It was a miracle they didn't shoot me in the back as I walked home. I've never ever done anything like that, but it sure felt good.

Sending good thoughts to you and your two.

(oh, I've lived in 4 different homes over the course of 28 years here in LA, always in the Echo Park area and have never lived in a home with bars! Had to give a little shot out to my favorite city!)

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest lynne893

Hi all, and seeh20!

Today the girls were A-ok. We gave them a little chip of the valium this morning to test it out (vet recommended) and just now, more this evening because now the fireworks are really popping. They are out like lights! (Not BAD out, just totally sleepyville.)

We live pretty central, around La Brea- Baldwin Hills area, close to Culver City. I think all the areas we've ever lived in here were all close to the riots in the early 90's, which is when I think a lot of the places we've lived put up bars (speculation)? Our neighbors are wonderful, but the area is literally a little rough around the edges :rolleyes:

I love LA (in spite of it all!)!

seeh20, I am very sorry you lost your heart dog that way. that is just awful. my heart truly goes out to you.

my husband ran out to stop the jerks last night -- they were so close and kept dropping those awful bomb fireworks we had to get them to stop in order to calm the dogs and extricate from the bars, and amazingly enough they APOLOGIZED he told me! and left.

i didn't know they apologized to him. after we got the dogs out, i was rip-roaring mad and went to confront them but they'd already left. ooooh boy, it's a very good thing i did not see them i really would've made a scene and you're so right-- could've been in an escalating situation! :angryfire

Thanks for your kind words. I just left my my vet a message asking if she would refill Carl's prescription for Valium and let her know that Claire needs to share it this time of year. That's amazing that the guys actually responded to your husband like they did, you were so lucky! My two are hiding in the bedroom as I write this, and have the a/c on, all the fans and all the radios on, too We get to live like this for the next several weeks. Ugh

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Guest june

OMG! I am so glad they will be OK. I've been asked several times by co-workers what I'm doing for the 4th and when I tell them I'm staying home to keep my dogs calm they look at me like I'm nuts. Lucky I live in a small town and the police will respond quickly if someone calls. So far not too bad, but the DAP and melatonin are ready for use. Have some stronger meds too if needed.

Hope everyone gets through the 4th without any further problems.

june

That was scary.

We lived in the LA area many years ago, and my brothers and their friends took great joy in driving to Mexico to buy their illegal fireworks.

Our town (Rolling Hills) had a fire started by kids playing with fireworks. 11 houses burned to the ground. This was a long time ago, but I'd say at the time they'd average $500k each. That's a heck of a lot of loss over stupid fireworks!

I don't even get the ATTRACTION. They don't make pretty "ooooh, aahhhhh" worth light even. Just some sparks and a lot of noise.

Someone around me shoots them off fairly often, but fortunately, they don't phase George at ALL.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Shermanator

Ugh. This is the first year fireworks are legal. (I live in the AZ desert.) Whatever genius decided to pass legislation out here to allow them is a grade A idiot. The stores are PACKED with them.This is our first 4th with the girls, so if the fireworks do not scare the hell out of them, and our neighborhood does not catch on fire, I'll consider us lucky.

Guest lynne893

Wow, it's sad that our dogs (dogs in general!) are so affected by fireworks. I never saw this growing up (our family dog was fine), but now as a pet owner myself, and reading your responses, it makes me realize that our poor animals are tormented every year by this stuff.

And I agree with the person who said the worst noisy ones aren't even pretty. I "get" it if they're pretty but just a big bomb noise? Stupid!

The valium has been working well for our kiddos. But Greta won't even go outside in the evening now, we have to gently lead her by the collar into the backyard to do potty, and damn it if someone pops off a firework while we're trying to do that. She didn't go at all last night when we tried to get her out for "last call" potty for the evening.

Like someone else said, we'll be dealing with this for at least another two weeks, more likely all through July. (Same thing at New Year's, though not quite as bad.)

We deal with it all summer. It's worse around this time of year but they start in May at Memorial Day and they go non stop all summer long almost until snow falls. Bottle rockets and fire crackers mostly but now they're using those great big percussion shells that sound like I'd imagine Afghanistan or Iraq must sound on a daily basis. :( I've owned four dogs over my life time and the only one not petrified by storms or the shelling is the Great Dane. And while I understand that the law enforcement has better things to do then drive around neighborhoods and look for these people, they won't even respond unless you can report an exact location of the activity. I'd really like to see them doing neighborhood patrols during the really active times....

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Guest lynne893

And while I understand that the law enforcement has better things to do then drive around neighborhoods and look for these people, they won't even respond unless you can report an exact location of the activity. I'd really like to see them doing neighborhood patrols during the really active times....

Exactly!

And while I understand that the law enforcement has better things to do then drive around neighborhoods and look for these people, they won't even respond unless you can report an exact location of the activity. I'd really like to see them doing neighborhood patrols during the really active times....

Exactly!

:nod :nod :nod :nod :nod

How scary! I'm glad your pups are OK.

I have been spending the evenings in the basement with Lila. She is not bothered by the fireworks at all down there. I took her out for last potties at 11:00 when things seemed quiet but as soon as she got out the door they started up again. It sounded like a war zone! Every little community around here has a display and they are spread out over the weekend. Why can't people just go to those?

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).