Limping When It's Not Osteo...

My 4 year old Bella (5 on Wednesday) started to yelp a little when running (cornering/turning) in the yard a few times last week, I've booked an appointment with the vet.

Just curious, what are other things that could be wrong? A corn? Arthritis? Pulled muscle?

Good stories about a limping being something silly would be greatly appriciated!

Greyhound Collars : www.collartown.ca

Maggie (the human servant), with Miss Bella, racing name "A Star Blackieto"

13380965654_dba9a12b29.jpg

ANYTHING. Sprained toes or ankles, stress on tendons/ligaments, pulled muscle, cramping... you name it. Mine have had plenty of limping spells and it's never been osteo. Please don't worry!

ETA: As far as stories goes... Dazzle and I were out on a walk once and he started dragging his back foot, toenails scraping on the asphalt. Turns out it was just a cramp but it can freak you out a little!

Edited by Brindles

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

Unfortunately it can be so many things. The best thing to do is to carefully palpitate her leg/hip/back (ideally with muzzle on in case there is pain), check pans with a magnifying glass for corns and press carefully. If it's her hip, it's harder to check and a good vet may be able to determine what it is. If nothing comes up, then the next step is an x-ray possibly. Good luck, I hope it's nothing serious!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Same as ownedbysummer. Make sure Red just didn't wake from a sound sleep thats normally when it happens, when it happens. Silly stories... are you showing him plenty of attention, Blackie only cries when he feels he maybe being left out.

Daisy has had toe & neck problems which caused her to limp or just for her gait to be "off".

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

what did i tell you about worrying, missy??? :shakefinger

I am THE most parinoid person in the world! If she's panting too much after a walk, I check her tummy for bloat, if she's too warm I start soaking her in cool water/ getting the fan on her, if bf and her go for a walk and they are taking too long I start walking up and down the road looking for them, and the list goes on :lol I honestly think it's kinda like being a parent to a first child, you just worry SO much.

Thanks everyone for the "It could be this, could be that". Our appointment is on Wednesday morning...on her birthday of all days.

Guest zombrie

For us, whenever we see a limp we immediately go to lyme disease since we live in a hot spot (I myself am even being treated for lyme at the moment, all my dogs have had it except for Doolin - knock on wood!)

Like others have said, it could be anything. Recently Doolin started limping and we discovered his toe dislocated and was sticking out sideways!

Mira was limping really bad a couple day ago. The diagnosis? A 4 inch stick stuck between her toes!

what did i tell you about worrying, missy??? :shakefinger

I am THE most parinoid person in the world! If she's panting too much after a walk, I check her tummy for bloat, if she's too warm I start soaking her in cool water/ getting the fan on her, if bf and her go for a walk and they are taking too long I start walking up and down the road looking for them, and the list goes on :lol I honestly think it's kinda like being a parent to a first child, you just worry SO much.

Thanks everyone for the "It could be this, could be that". Our appointment is on Wednesday morning...on her birthday of all days.

Maggie, there is a good chiro in town- she has a human and dog pratice; human door on the left, dog door on the right! :lol These guys are retired athletes and those muscles and joints have quite a bit of wear and tear, Wouldn't hurt to take her to see Dr. Jennifer Heick (sp); Waterloo North Chiro (I think). Maggie could just a need a little adjustment; I'm sure it's nothing! :colgate

Edited by maximum

My boys, together again...

cedarlodge2010027_zpsc250b3bf-1_zps9f4d4

A hui hou kakou, my loves

Silly story, you say? How's this.

Earlier this week I was walking the dogs and as we got close to home Frankie - the youngest of the four - started lagging behind and scraping his toes on the cement. I was so scared thinking of all of the things it might be - stroke, blood clot... He's only 5, but I lost my first greyhound to Osteo when he was only 6 so I'm a little paranoid. We got home and I left the other three outside and took Frank inside to check him out. I felt down his hip, leg and ankle - no sore spots. Then I lift his foot and what do I see? A cellophane wrapper stuck to the bottom of his foot! :lol What the heck? I mean, it's not like we live in a downtown area. We're in a quiet suburban neighborhood and we just walked around the block. Only Frankie... :P

Good luck with your girl. I'm sure it's some simple.

Measure wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you would not take money.

Guest peacehound

I have had a hound that has limped on and off now for the three years I have had her, she was a bounce. At first, only supplements were needed, then NSAIDS every once in a while when it was acting up more than usual and now she is on Deramaxx daily..I know it can have side effects but her quality of life is better and I get her bloodwork done every six months..so it could be the result of some old injury that you may have to deal with for the rest of her life..Peace is nine now and she doesn't run anymore and she is sore sometimes more than others but she seems really happy, right now she is roaching with her head on my foot..best of luck with everything~

Sending good thoughts to Bella...who shares a birthday with Nixon!

:P

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

thank you for this post. my dude has been vaguely "babying" his one leg since he woke up this morning. i freaked out immediately. i probably read too much on here about the worst case scenarios and need to be reminded that not everything is osteo. i'm such a ding-a-ling. :blush i forgot that that was the exact leg/paw that he sprained pretty badly last year, that he's 7 (no longer a silly puppy), and that even i have achy-creaky days, too. thanks to everyone for calming yamaha_gurl down, because it helped to cam me down, too!!

Sorry...forgot to update! The vet checked her legs up and down and even backwards lol, nothing. Then again, she didn't even flinch when he took blood from her paw, going to to a lyme test, results come back in a week. Right now she's not limping at all, nothing. :huh

Edit: We have some weeds in the backyard, and I have been deligent about pulling them but...I think perhaps Bella has stepped on a prickly one, and that's why the once a few days yelp, and holding her paw up for 5 seconds. :rolleyes:

Edited by Yamaha_gurl

Guest ShanYu

Glad to hear that there is no problem with the beautiful Bella! I found this useful as Nike limps from time to time - vet thinks he may have a spot of arthritis or pain from a muscle injury in his previous life.