Bella

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Just asking for a few thoughts and prayer for my old gal Bella.

Was awoken this morning (4:30am) to hearing someone hit the dog water bowl in the kitchen.

It was Bella and she was laying down in a place she normally doesn't.

She has all the classic signs of vestibular syndrome. I've called and chatted with a friend who also just happens to be a vet to bounce these thoughts and ideas off of her and she pretty much agrees that this is what we are looking at.

Of course time will tell if she improves over the next 24/48 hrs or if she doesn't then it's very likely something else.

So fingers crossed it's "just" vestibular syndrome!

I feel so horrible for her. It has to be uncomfortable and so scary to not know why you have no balance and I'm sure the world must feel like it's spinning for her.

Luckily she's now resting well in the living room and I have her propped up so she can lay down and relax. I'm sure it's going to be a long couple days, but if there is improvement, then we are in it for the long haul.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest KennelMom

Awww...Poor Bella. Champ had an episode of vestibular syndrome and it scared the crap outta me! He seemed to handle it much better. If she has trouble eating, you can give her something for the nausea though we never had that issue w/Champ, food hound that he was.

Sending prayers that it's "just" vestibular syndrome and that it resolves quickly for your girl! :hope:getwell

Sending prayers and gentle scritchies to best girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Vestibular syndrome is scary & mysterious. My bridge girl Kenton had one episode at 10, 3 days of pure-d-he77, then back to her normal self

in less than a week....no further episodes for the rest of her life (lost her at 14-1/2)

Best Wishes Bella....this too shall pass & you'll be good as new!!

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

It will be Heather! That dear old sweetheart is in my thoughts!!

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Prayers and healing light, feel bad for your little girl it must be horrible for her, I'm going to google this I've never heard or read about it anywhere does this happen in all greyhounds?

Here is a link that describes Vestibular Syndrome a bit. It can also be called several other things.

peripheral vestibular syndrome (the current "preferred name"), geriatric vestibular syndrome and idiopathic vestibular syndrome.

Basically it's vertigo I guess would be the easiest way to explain it.

Not just a greyhound thing, just a no one knows why sort of thing.

Bella has been resting well for the last several hours. She's awake now, holding her head up and I know must be trying to figure out what the heck is going on. She's drinking water that I bring to her and keeping that down so good news there.

I'll try some food a bit later today/tonight.

No question this is scary and not the easiest thing to deal with as she has no balance what so ever. She wants to stand and will go to but then the whole balance is thrown off. Even with all the body support from me she can't even take a step forward :(

I just hope and pray it gets better.

Thank you all for the kind thoughts and prayers.

When Hobbes had his first incident of Vestibular Syndrome, it was first thought to be a stroke so we ended up at a neurologist. He found it was Vestibular and gave us some medication for him that was similar to something for seasickness. It seemed to help with the vertigo and made his stomach feel better as well. We saw a huge improvement each day and by day 3 or 4 he was back to normal.

Vestibular Syndrome is very scary to watch - thank heavens the affects don't last very long and there is a fairly quick recovery time. Hope Bella is feeling better soon.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Thanks I really have hopes to see some improvement here soon (tonight/tomorrow morning) as it is right now she can hardly stand even with my assistance.

For those that have dealt with this, for this first day, do you just allow the dog to rest and lay down? I'm there to help her if she wants to move around but it's so limited on her movement. I just don't want to be doing the wrong thing.

Since the onset early this morning she went from laying in the kitchen, to one bed in the living room and just a few moments ago she wanted to move again so we just bed hopped basically.

Right now she doesn't want to move forward at all, she tries to back up.

She has peed while she was sleeping I'm guessing so cleaned that up and her as well.

Right now, how she is, there is just no way she will actually try and walk even with my assistance to go outside.

With Hobbes, the event started around 4:30 in the morning. He couldn't lift more than his head for hours, couldn't stand at all and had to be carried to the car. Eventually by the end of the day he could stand with support but was very wobbly on his legs. The medication seemed to help with the vertigo. He didn't move around much when we brought him home from the neurologist, only rising with help to go outside to bathroom. In the beginning, he did wet the bed where he was sleeping but by the next day he was getting stronger and only needed assistance getting up. He walked slowly as the symptoms faded but just seeing him on his feet again seemed such a relief.

From what I have researched, each dog has a different recovery time (give or take a day or two). The first day is always the hardest.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

With Hobbes, the event started around 4:30 in the morning. He couldn't lift more than his head for hours, couldn't stand at all and had to be carried to the car. Eventually by the end of the day he could stand with support but was very wobbly on his legs. The medication seemed to help with the vertigo. He didn't move around much when we brought him home from the neurologist, only rising with help to go outside to bathroom. In the beginning, he did wet the bed where he was sleeping but by the next day he was getting stronger and only needed assistance getting up. He walked slowly as the symptoms faded but just seeing him on his feet again seemed such a relief.

From what I have researched, each dog has a different recovery time (give or take a day or two). The first day is always the hardest.

Well I guess Bella might be doing well then, she can hold her head up and while laying down shift position a bit.

Kevin is out for the day and is suppose to carry home some Dramamine when he heads back. No way I can leave the old gal to pick any up.

Thanks again for the input and sharing what you and Hobbes went through.

She's a strong old gal so hopefully that will help her recover quickly. Good thoughts that she recovers quickly.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest PhillyPups

:hope for sweet Bella :hope

Went through one episode with The Queen. I found a sweatshirt helped to help her walk, the arms made a good handle. Scared the crap outta me, she was back to her fiesty self the next day, and never had another one for the three years after.

Hugs to you.

Did my research on the sight you gave me; decided I should repost and double up on my prayers and white lights.Little Miss Bella maybe a little confused; I'm wondering hows mom and dad handling it.

Praying she comes out of this as quickly as possible, then just cover her with treats and kisses for us