Something Is Wrong With Turbo

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure I have much to add, but my initial thought was to definitely get some x-rays to rule out a partial obstruction. You never know, maybe he found something in the yard you weren't aware of. :dunno

I hope you get some answers and it's nothing major. Certainly no HGE allowed! :shakefinger

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Yeah, you can build up to problems. That being said, after bringing Sutra home and feeding him home-cooked, low fat items for a while, I put him on Solid Gold Wolf King (9% fat but something like 22% protein). He did fine on that for a decent amount of time, but, eventually I put him on TOTW Pacific Stream like the rest of the dogs (the fat content in that is high, but, I don't think it's as high as EVO...but can't look it up right now).

I think what happens is that a dog can be fine eating something like EVO, but then maybe they eat something else that kind of sets the gut off balance...from there on, the EVO becomes something that just makes it worse. If you stabilize the gut with an extended period of bland diet and low fat food, eventually you can get back to the EVO without an issue.

Analogy - pour rubbing alcohol on regular skin, no problem. If the skin gets a cut, and THEN you pour rubbing alcohol on it, it burns. If you allow the skin to heal, the rubbing alcohol will once again cause no problems.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

TOTW Pacific Stream is 25%/15% ... pretty average percentage. That said, that's what Beth was on when she started developing problems (though I also added some raw and things like canned mackerel, and when I tried adding fish oil, I think that's what triggered her episode). If she'd been on JUST TOTW she might well have been OK. But I'm not planning to take the risk of going back to it -- when I try another food I want it to be lower fat than that.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

On the pancreatitis theme, Turbo's stomach problems really started a few+ weeks back. Is there something he ate back then that could have gotten the ball rolling?

The only other thing I can think of - although this still goes to my x-ray thing - is if you fed him a greenie before the incident on Thursday. I remember there were accounts of those forming impactions, although I thought they reformulated them to avoid that.

Really I am useless, but prefer to try to feel useful. :P

:goodluck that you get this sorted out.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest SoulsMom

I would say building up to problems. Soul was doing this for about three months before he started the heavy bleeding in his GI tract

Guest SoulsMom

TOTW Pacific Stream is 25%/15% ... pretty average percentage. That said, that's what Beth was on when she started developing problems (though I also added some raw and things like canned mackerel, and when I tried adding fish oil, I think that's what triggered her episode). If she'd been on JUST TOTW she might well have been OK. But I'm not planning to take the risk of going back to it -- when I try another food I want it to be lower fat than that.

I think the exact SAME thing is what triggered Soul's

Edited by SoulsMom

Hm. Vet just mentioned that h. pylori could also be involved.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest RiverCityGang

Knock on wood, I've not had this issue with any of my hounds, so nothing helpful to add. Just hoping that you and your vet can figure it out and Turbo is back feeling right again quickly!

Unfortunately, a negative fecal doesn't prove anything. It can just mean that the worms aren't shedding eggs at that time, which is all the fecal can detect. (Our Spencer also looked at his sides when he had hooks, but it was more like a jerking of the head to look, as if something(s) had bitten him. Which they had. But it doesn't sound like that's what Turbo is doing.) Hope you can get it figured out soon! (Going to a lower-fat food right away sounds like a good place to start while you're testing. X-rays and a TLI test sound right too.)

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest MnMDogs

I wish I had something to offer but good thoughts. He looks so uncomfortable, I hope you can get to the bottom of this soon.

Meredith, since you're already getting GI help for him, I think you should just give Turbo the rest of your Amy's burritos. It's a win-win. He'll love them and you'll be rid of them. :lol

Chris, with Bixby (aka Clive Bixby, fka Taplin's Bull) and the feline buggle brothers, Oliver and Salem.

Kelsey (Watch the Kick), forever in my heart.

Meredith, since you're already getting GI help for him, I think you should just give Turbo the rest of your Amy's burritos. It's a win-win. He'll love them and you'll be rid of them. :lol

:rofl :rofl

I wish I had something to offer but good thoughts. He looks so uncomfortable, I hope you can get to the bottom of this soon.

Thanks, Carol.

Unfortunately, a negative fecal doesn't prove anything. It can just mean that the worms aren't shedding eggs at that time, which is all the fecal can detect. (Our Spencer also looked at his sides when he had hooks, but it was more like a jerking of the head to look, as if something(s) had bitten him. Which they had. But it doesn't sound like that's what Turbo is doing.) Hope you can get it figured out soon! (Going to a lower-fat food right away sounds like a good place to start while you're testing. X-rays and a TLI test sound right too.)

Yup, I'm aware that. The probability of him having worms is quite low, but not out of the realm of possibility. In fact, when he went through a round of diarrhea at the beginning of May, I bought Panacur to worm him just in case (I'm a big fan of that :lol ). I got the liquid stuff and put it in his dinner, which he promptly threw up :rolleyes: I figured I'd wait until his tummy calmed down before trying again, though it's mild stuff. Not sure if it was the flavor or what that got him; he only vomitted the one time and on his second dose of the stuff (the first dose went down just fine :dunno ).

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Just checked your videos, and he doesn't look like a hookworm dog. Hugs and scritches to you and Turbo.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Hugs to poor Turdbo

Thanks, Mo :)

Just checked your videos, and he doesn't look like a hookworm dog. Hugs and scritches to you and Turbo.

Thanks.

My vet said the Evo *could* be the culprit, so we're going to switch over to something else and see what happens, in addition to continuing the pepcid. We'll see what else she says tomorrow.

Thanks so much for all the suggestions and good thoughts, y'all. Much appreciated :)

Hoping he'll be more comfortable while things get sorted out :goodluck:)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Hey Meredith - haven't read pages 2 & 3 but Cody had pancreatitis once and gastritis OFTEN! Something greasy or fatty would set her off, so it could have been the hotdog, expired or not - very fatty!!

Hope you get it resolved soon - and NO MORE FATTY TREATS!! (That includes Greenies - one set her off once & she never had another!)

Good luck!

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Fat is very hard to digest so in turn it makes the pancreas work hard releasing more digestive enzymes (lipase and amylase). If those enzymes were high on the blood work I would run a Spec cpl test (idexx)-- it's a more accurate specfic pancreas test. There can be acute cases of pancreatic flairs or you can have a low chronic case many times going undiagnosed with the pet acting quite but, well in the pet owners mind. It's noi until a flair that the pancreatis is diagnosed.

Edited by tbhounds

Wouldn't assume pancreatitis (or worm-free-ness) without the tests. You really can't tell by looking. Many dogs tolerate large amounts of fat just fine, life long.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Well, back from the vet and we're going to try a few things. Bland diet for a while as well as flagyl. His BP tested really low this time, so we're going to take him off the meds and then retest. It's possible the first BP test was flawed or it could be that his meds are too high.

There is apparently no real data on how much fat in a diet is too much, but I'll be switching him to a lower fat food in case that's a contributor. Also putting him on fortiflora.

Poop today was nearly normal, but he has lost more weight and is down to 71.4, which is his race weight. I like to keep him at 75-78 ( he was raced really thin, plus he was still a pup then). So he's thin, but not dangerously so.

So that's where we are now. Turbo is back to normal as far as behavior and comfort and was barking at us last night for food (he was supposed to be fasted).

Well, you know I have no advice, since I don't know what BUN, creatine, p floryil, or any of those other things are, but I love you both, so here ya go :bighug

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~