I Have Never Seen A Dog Vomit So Much!

Guest Shermanator

Guest Shermanator

Holy cow, Travel got sick last night. She came up to the sofa last night drooling, and begging for attention. (She's my spookly little girl, she rarely comes to the sofa when we are sitting on it, looking for attention.) DH got up to go to the kitchen, and Travel promptly jumped on the sofa, and curled up next to me. (She has NEVER done that.) Then we noticed it. I have NEVER seen a pile of vomit that big. (EW!) We never heard he get sick, she got sick on her beds in front of the TV- we never saw her get sick- the beds are blocked by the coffee table. And she never made a sound. Poor little thing. She threw up in the bedroom, and twice in the living room. She threw up the wet food she had at dinner (@ 5pm- she got sick at 9pm,) and what looked like digested kibble. And we think she got it from eating poop, 'cause it smelled like poop. Oh, SO GROSS! I had no idea her little tummy could hold that much.

I'm a little unnerved by this. This is the 2nd time this has happened in 2 months. We have been super diligent at getting all the poop out of the backyard, so she doesn't eat it. She's a little off kilter this morning, which I expected. Has anyone had experience this this? I mean throwing up a LOT at one time?

Also, how do I clean my carpets? She hit 3 dog beds (all in the wash,) and the front rug in the living room, and carpet in the bedrrom. How can I get this out? We cleaned with Nature's Miracle, but the carpet is still a little discolored where she got sick, and the front rug is a disaster (I think I will have to toss it, if I cannot get it clean.)

Poor little girl. After she got sick, she went to bed, and didn't move until 5 this morning when I got up. She got on the couch, and hasn't moved, either. We live in AZ, where it is super dry already- just sucks the water right out of you, so you constantly need to drink water to stay hydrated. So, I will get to the store for some pedialite, and ground beef and rice for her. Poor little girl.

Poor Travel........she must be feeling really yucky.

My bridge boy Gringo, towards the end, was hit with HORRIBLE screaming diarrhea....all over my living room rug, and I

mean ALL OVER. Such a mess! I cleaned up what I could with paper towels & wet dog towels, sprayed Resolve spot carpet

cleaner liberally (took the whole bottle).....then went to WalMart (in tears) & bought a Bissell Pro Heat carpet cleaner.

It took all morning & had to go over the worst spots several times, but it's out. That was Jan. 2010, and that machine

has paid for itself many times over.

Hope your girl feels better soon.

(edited because it's too early for my fingers)

Edited by DesiRayMom

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Poor baby. I've had best stain-removing results with a rug cleaning machine; or without a machine but with Oxyclean.

One school of thought says try just fluids for 24 hours to let her insides rest and heal.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Poor baby. I've had best stain-removing results with a rug cleaning machine; or without a machine but with Oxyclean.

One school of thought says try just fluids for 24 hours to let her insides rest and heal.

Agree--ground beef is not a good idea. Too greasy.

I'd not feed her anything until perhaps tonight, and I'd give her rice with a little bit of dog food. There's really no value in feeding a dog hamburger vs. dog food. Boiled chicken, which is in theory not as fatty, is usually what's recommended, but in a dog who vomited and does not otherwise seem ILL, I'd just do rice and a LITTLE regular dog food.

My last dog vomited ALL THE TIME. It was well worth the money to have my own carpet cleaner. The trick is: scoop as much as you can (spatula...yuck, I know), then blot as much as you can. Then a damp towel. Then hit it with the carpet cleaner.

And when I say "all the time" I mean a few times a week for years and years and years! He was, as we say, a "chucker."

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Bean_Scotch

I use:

1 large bottle of hydrogen perioxide.

2 table spoons of baking soda

6 drops of dawn dish soap.

I have gotten out blood on my beige colored carpet with this!! sometimes it leaves a white 'hue' but after a few vacumings it goes away. this recipe works wonders! I just got a HUGE stain of vomit off my beige colored carper with this as well!

Poor little one. IIRC, she is relatively new? If she were mine I would check for worms, and probably deworm her regardless. And agree with the others to let her tummy settle today, and tonight offer her plain boiled rice with a little of her usual food. (When we need it, I usually opt for boiled chicken vs. beef.) For the carpet, sometimes it helps to let it dry and *then* hit it with baking soda and the vacuum.

I hope Travel is feeling better soon. :bighug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

My Emmy did this from eating poop. She got ill very quickly and dehydrated very quickly. It went from vomiting everything, including water to bloody big D and she ended up at the vet's for 3 days dehydrated and on antibiotics. She developed HGE.

More important than food right now is water. She needs to rehydrate. I wouldn't feed her anything until tonight at the earliest and give her stomach time to settle down. My vet usually recommends 24 hour fast and then starting back slowly on the food.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Poor Travel. Sorry to hear about your carpet. Hopefully the advice given will work in getting it clean. I hope you can get his tummy settled also. Bruiser has been sick lately. I came home from work the other day to find he had vomited and pooped (diarrhea) on 2 of the dog beds and my hallway was a virtual minefield of diarrhea. Thank goodness for no carpet.

Guest Shermanator

Travel was BEGGING for breakfast. I caved, and gave her a little rice. She's back to her bouncy self. I'll get her some pedialite (sp?) to make sure she is rehydrated.

What is HGE?

Guest d0ggiem0mma

HGE = Hemoragic Gastroenteritis (AKA massively bloody diarrhea)

Ground beef is fine if you boil it, then put the fat off the top of the water before draining. The local IG rescue prefers this to chicken & rice actually!

As for the stain, I've had a lot of luck with "Spot Shot" and some elbow grease. It's cheapest at Lowes but you can get it at most grocery stores too. Blue can, orange lid. Spot test your carpet if it's not a light beige or white.

Guest Shermanator

Thanks everyone! Little Miss Travel had completely bounced back. And I do mean bouce! She was her entergetic, boucy self last night. :) She was drinking water all day, and does not appear to be dehydrated. She had some rice again last night with her kibble, eating it with gusto. I will feed her rice again with her kibble again all day, before I start adding the small amount of wet food that is normally mixed in. I will be trying all your carpet cleaning suggestions today. :)

Aww, glad Miss T is feeling better — and sorry about your carpet!! My absolute favorite product to deal with unfortunate doggy stains/smells of ALL types is Get Serious. I used to buy it online, but now I find it at PetSmart. It has worked so much better than anything else for me that I would not own a pet without it.

Lisa

Dog mama to angel-boy Ewan (racing name Atascocita Ewan), 3/26/10 to 8/23/20, and angel-girl Asta (racing name Pazzo Asta), 6/16/01 to 9/7/13.

Guest madredhare

We too have had this problem from eating poop. My Sadie, a tiny little girl, can produce buckets of vomit. I know this is gross, but last time she got sick like that, we had to use a dust pan to scoop it up. Now, I have a stool guard in the muzzle and we put it on her before she goes outside.

We too have had this problem from eating poop. My Sadie, a tiny little girl, can produce buckets of vomit. I know this is gross, but last time she got sick like that, we had to use a dust pan to scoop it up. Now, I have a stool guard in the muzzle and we put it on her before she goes outside.

I second the muzzle and stool guard. When we first got Tori (5+ years ago) we tried to go without. Learned our lesson when, like you, she threw up copious amounts of the most vile sludge I've ever smelled :puke Since then she always has a muzzle when outside. No matter how careful we are, if there's so much as one pile outside she'll find it. :rolleyes:

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

So glad to here Travel is feeling better!!!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest RobinAZ

Awwww poor Travel! I'm glad she is better today. It's such a worry when our babies are sick. When I first got GreyCee she vomited like that. I saw her do it and I was like "OMG" I had never seen so much come out of a dog before. But she was fine.

Layla sends Travel kisses :wub: :wub:

Guest Shermanator

Awwww poor Travel! I'm glad she is better today. It's such a worry when our babies are sick. When I first got GreyCee she vomited like that. I saw her do it and I was like "OMG" I had never seen so much come out of a dog before. But she was fine.

Layla sends Travel kisses :wub: :wub:

Busted. While Travel is feeling better, we found Travel is back to poop eating. We busted her eating fresh poop last night, which is new. When shw was doing it before, it was just little 'nuggets.' Ew.

We have a dog door, and closing it, and making her where a muzzle with a poop guard is simply not an option, for reasons mentioned it earlier posts. So, its back to 24/7 poop patrol. She used to do poop eating when we were gone, and last night she took a chance while we were home. Ugh.

I don't think Layla wants Travel's poop breath kisses. Argh!!!

Guest june

Absolutely use a muzzle and stool guard. I have one girl that NEVER goes into the yard without it. If it is there she will find it. :angry: Lucky I can gate her on the deck so she can be outside without having a muzzle on all the time, but if she goes in the yard she gets the muzzle. ;)

june