Chloe Did It Again

Chloe got into 7-9 cups of food that she doesn't normally eat. What should I do? I am waiting for the vet to call be back.

ETA she is looking at me pitifully, wondering why I won't feed her dinner as everyone else is eating.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I'm not a vet--just someone who has lived with dogs my entire life, and IMHO you should do nothing and wait for the extra poo tomorrow.

I had a dog I was sitting for once eat TEN POUNDS of my old dog's kibble!! The farting was tremendous! And we had a blizzard that night (on April 1!) and I had the flu. Woke up to nearly 2 feet of snow and a dog who had to poop every few hours!

I would certainly not panic over a dog eating extra dog food!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

OK, thanks all. No dinner tonight, pepcid and a pathetic looking dog looking at me as if I was starving her!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Is she the one with IBD? If so, might want to give a call to GI vet. I certainly woudn't induce vomiting in a healthy dog, but don't know about a severely IBD dog.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

@ DD. Beau us my ibd pup.

Robin, the only risk I can think of--aside from diarrhea and the like--is bloat. Limit her physical activity, and keep an eye on her. And if she seems gassy, maybe give her a Gas-X.

Sam once went head-down in a bag of kibble while I was outside talking to a neighbor. I came back in and he met me at the door moaning and groaning. He clearly was miserable already, so I took him outside and induced vomiting. He felt better instantly--and wanted his breakfast. After half an hour, I let him have about a third of what he usually gets for breakfast. An hour later, I let him have some more since he clearly was fine.

I have learned that Sam will disembowel a 30-pound bag of kibble--a brand new, unopened bag. The only reason he hasn't eaten himself into the grave in the 8+ years he's been here is that he's muzzled when I'm not home (except when I stop to talk to a neighbor). When I bring home a new bag of kibble, I have to shut it in the downstairs bathroom, where I can close the door to protect it. (Even if he can't eat it through the muzzle and poop guard, he can make an unholy mess, spreading kibble into five rooms.) Since Chloe also appears to have a somewhat impaired sense of self-preservation, you might need to start taking extra precautions.

270866073_2653d9da36.jpg Mr Pitiful: Feel sorry for me!

1607291226_2a3ee7720e_m.jpg An avatar I used to use

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Robin - I'll bet Chloe will be fine in the AM.

Totally admit to not being a big muzzler, though I have done it if needed.

Have never used a stool guard but somehow thought the went in/outside of the bottom half of the muzzle, not covering the dogs nose -- I know some people make redneck ones on the bottom 1/2 of the muzzle with duct tape. :blush. :dunno :dunno.

Not trying to be offensive, but seems to me if the entire nose is covered and the dog throws up it might not be good, not to mention breathing.... again :dunno just wondering????

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Have never used a stool guard but somehow thought the went in/outside of the bottom half of the muzzle, not covering the dogs nose -- I know some people make redneck ones on the bottom 1/2 of the muzzle with duct tape. :blush. :dunno :dunno.

Not trying to be offensive, but seems to me if the entire nose is covered and the dog throws up it might not be good, not to mention breathing.... again :dunno just wondering????

Good point. I know someone whose dog nearly did that -- fortunately they were right there to remove the muzzle.

I don't like to leave a full stool guard on when the dog is unattended.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Ohiogreymom

Please don't EVER leave your dog unattended with a stool cup in the muzzle.One day I put it on one of mine after he had been eating grass earlier. He vomited inside it, and could not breathe, or get it out. If I had not been able to run out there fast enough when I saw him staggering, he would have surely died.Please heed this warning! Darlene (edit because I could not spell breathe right)

Edited by Ohiogreymom

A friend of mine fosters little dogs for PALS. One of them got into a bag of dog food and the amount he ate was staggering. He had to have surgery to get the impacted food out of his intestines. :o

I hope Chloe is ok today.

tivvy-gigi-heaven-gabby-2.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Blaze, Rodney, Lady, Spice, Sarahlee, Callie and Baby

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

She SHOULD be okay!

The only time I've left a muzzle with a stool guard on an unattended dog is when I had a broken hock who wouldn't stop chewing his cast off, and he could reach it with an E-collar on. Benefit outweighed risk... and I rarely leave for very long anyway.

As for the guard being inside or outside of the muzzle- it goes outside on "female" or small size muzzles and inside on "male" or larger size muzzles.

There are huge open holes at the bottom of a basket muzzle that are not covered by the stool guard. Any vomit inside the stool guard will run out those holes the moment the dog raises his head, even a little. Putting tape on the bottom of a muzzle is one way to ensure that vomit stays inside the muzzle instead of draining, the way it will with the stool guard in place.

5638906063_3d47331c12.jpg

My hand is at the top of the muzzle, the part that rests on Sam's snout. I think you can see the bottom holes clearly in this photo.

The stool guard in Sam's muzzle has saved his life by preventing him from gorging on kibble or eating the contents of every trash can in the house. When he was muzzled without the guard, I'd come home from work and find trash sticking out the holes of the muzzle; I'd pull the rest of his "snack"--undigested paper towels and tissues--out of his back side when he'd try to poop them out. (And if he can't find paper, he'll chew on fabric.) He doesn't chew like that every day--or even every week. But it's impossible to predict when he will decide to turn omnivorous, and I won't risk his life on my ability to guess right. He can't be crated (destroyed a crate in his original foster home), can't be shut into a room, sneers at ex-pen confinement (he climbs and/or jumps). He's been muzzled with the guard when I'm not home, which is part of nearly every day, for the last 8 years. When he's gotten sick in the muzzle (twice, I think, in 8 years), he's been fine. And when he's gotten into something new and unexpected--which seems to happen two or three times a year--he's been fine...thanks to the guard in the muzzle.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

There are huge open holes at the bottom of a basket muzzle that are not covered by the stool guard. Any vomit inside the stool guard will run out those holes the moment the dog raises his head, even a little. Putting tape on the bottom of a muzzle is one way to ensure that vomit stays inside the muzzle instead of draining, the way it will with the stool guard in place.

That's not really true because of the volume if they vomit food. They can aspirate food with a muzzle without a stool guard.

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

Checking to see how Chloe is today. I would also expect her to be fine part from perhaps a little gas or D. She might not be comfortable though, till she moves it along! :P

That's not really true because of the volume if they vomit food. They can aspirate food with a muzzle without a stool guard.

You also have to remember that a vomiting dog does not raise his head. Neither does a dog struggling to breathe. They always stand head down as they heave, or struggle to get breath in. I've never seen a dog vomit/struggle for breath with his head raised, even a little. Would he, if the cup were full of liquid? Maybe, but it would be going against instinctive behaviour and he might not.

In your case it would seem that the benefit outweighs the risk, but you should perhaps just be aware of the risk.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest LindsaySF

How is Chloe?

I had a dog barf into a muzzle with a stool guard and start choking. I firmly believe if I hadn't been there she would have died.

One of my fosters needed to be kept away from a leg wound. I ended up using a Kan-Sal muzzle instead of a muzzle with a stool guard, because it has large holes for drainage. It was still risky, but she was tearing her leg open otherwise, so I needed something (the PJ's weren't enough).