The Legacy

Burpdog

This can be a sad forum, but it can also be a warm forum. Some sent me an email and it dawned on me how much these guys leave us with--the impact that carries for years.

Mine:

Eliza - her love of life kept me wanting greys

Jesse - her extreme intelligence made me realize greys weren't what I had considered "typical hounds" and joy can be gained from digging holes and eating bugs

Trevor - how much seniors appreciate everything, and even an old dog can learn to kiss (it was sloppy, but I don't think he'd ever given one before :) )

Scooby - even when their heart is breaking, they can recover and stand tall if they are loved enough

Jodie - another one who adjusted and learned to give kisses and a lover of life--she fought to the end

Shadow - an old guy who learned, once again, to "fly" in the backyard--it's never to late to enjoy life, never to late to smell the flowers

SieSie - never give up, never give in, keep up the attitude as long as you can and you can lead even if you are in the rear (the queen of propulsion--nose stuck in my butt)

SieSie's impact on one who loves her as I do:

SieSie will always have a place in my

heart...because of her, I'm in love with greyhounds.  I'll never forget the first day I met her...she put her head in my chest and knocked me flat on my ass :)  I wanted to know where I signed.

What did your bridge kid(s) leave you and/or everyone?

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rocky (the Beagle): There is no need to teach an old dog new tricks. The old dog will teach the new dog old tricks. He also taught me the love of a dog and how one can be affected by it

Winnie (my heart) : Made me realize my love for animals and gave me the drive to get through so much. She also influenced me to become a vet when Im out of highschool. I owe so much to her. She was a brood momma and she taught me there is always enough love for ONE more

Kim, mom to Reno (Slatex Reno), sister to Daffy (Bally's Flack), Ashley and Sue (racing names unknown), and Bridge kids Strider (7/28/94-4/16/05), RW's Dallas (12/17/98- 06/26/2010), Odd Taylor (aka Lizzie), JC's Curfew (4/6/2005- 4/22/2010), Winnie(Pooh Bear)my heart dog, and Rocky the beagle

Guest BrockGusDad

I had to reply since my heartdog, Brock, left less than one hour from now, 1 year ago.

Brock left a legacy of the true meaning of living life.

In addition, he had established the Grey SEAL Team (on the AOL board) which was dedicated to bravery

and "missions" to investigate accusations of cruelty toward greys (denying them treats, access to couches, etc).

The Team has grown to 211 members!

I miss you, Commander BROCKington, my bestest friend.

Tess (Mutt) left me with an appreciation of senior dogs. She was only here for 15 months and came to us as one who didn't like other dogs or cats - but someone forgot to tell her that :)

Del left me with the knowledge that my home would never feel like a real home without a senior to giggle with.

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest Hannah

Sally went 10 years ago this easter just gone, she was a beautiful blue brindle whippet and left me with the love of sight hounds.

she also taught me that sometimes you have to shelter the ones you love from hurt and pain. she waited until I was too far away from home to be able to get back before getting ill for the last time. she crept onto my bed and had a stroke that left her too far gone to have any decent quality of life. the vet said to wait for more than 30 minutes would put her in too much pain and suffering. I was 1.5 hours away. for months before and after I was never more than 30 minutes dash from home. but for three days I was 1.5 hours away and she chose the 2nd one to go on.

My Dobe Chrissy taught me that a big, toothy grin goes a long way--to friends it's cute, adorable & funny; to those who don't know you, it could be intimidating (although it's best not to sneeze if mom wants intimidating, sort of ruins the moment)

My Dobe Burp - you can be a guardian AND have a sense of humor. Having a job as a guardian earns you food, a sense of humor--most anything you want :)

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Darwin (my heart dog - sheltie) - Never underestimate how smart these guys are and realize that they may be more aware then we give them credit for. His love and devotion was unconditional and he will forever be my companion if only in my heart now.

Ginger - She turned my not really a dog person husband into the biggest mush out there. It was her grace, happy nature and the non-stop helicopter tail. She was our 1st greyhound and introduced us to this wonderful breed. There is no turning back now. She will not be forgotten.

Brannigan - How loveable and gentle the big, goofy boys are. He was so young and so sick but he was always happy to see his humans no matter how badly he felt. I guess teaching us humans that we shouldn't dwell on simple miseries. Life is what we make of it no matter how sick we are.

tn_greyhound002.gif

Willow & Trace

Butch (11/94 - 7/16/08) Hayley (11/96 - 1/13/09) Merlin (11/12/95 - 5/29/09)

GPA - Central New Hampshire

Poncho: A dog can be your hero and your protector.

Taffy: A dog should always be a part of the family in every sense. If they are not, there is no point in having one.

Arizona: Friends come and go, boyfriends come and go, but your dog is ALWAYS your best friend and encourager.

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

Django(Nuzy)- Our first greyhound...he started it all. He taught us that adjusting takes time but it is worth the wait. He was the sweetest boy who ever lived.

Speed(Toni)- He was destined to be ours. He taught me that a dog can truly be a best friend.

My brindle boys gave me the gift of greyhounds and brought my heart, Riley, to me. They made sure that I got the right one.

Susan taught me just how different one grey can be from another.

She taught me that even though a greyhound must sometimes be a greyhound and chase with intent to kill, she can still be a human's good and gentle friend

She taught me that old dogs most certainly CAN learn new tricks

She taught me how to be valiant in the face of terminal illness (I only hope I can remember that one if the need arises)

She taught me just how much I could love a dog I'd only known such a short time

And most valuable of all, she showed me without doubt that the spirit lives on ...

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Casey was our first greyhound, and was one of the "green eared dogs".

He came from a place where the folks had learned to trust greyhound adoption, but not enough to allow one of their dogs to be traced back to them. Casey taught us about greyhounds, how they can look into your soul, how gentle and mighty their love is, and how there is no other breed of dog that is quite like an NGA greyhound, and how an ex-racer has a certain grace and self discipline about them. Casey was 4 when we adopted him. We lost Casey when he was only 8.

Charlie was our fourth greyhound. He had made a long trip from Alabama on a hauler that brought 23 greyhounds from Alabama to Houston. From his first day when we would go to the kennel to feed and let the greys out to potty, instead of running out in the yard like the rest, Charlie would stay at my side like he was glued there. He was our velcro dog. He was only with us for two years, we adopted him at 4, and he was lost to osteosarcoma at 6.

Maggie was our third greyhound. Oh my Maggie girl, she grinned all the time, she talked to me every night, she loved to play, throwing stuffies in the air, she was the champ at wiggling her way in, pushing the others back so she could be first for rubbing and ear scritches. She was the champion roacher of all time. I miss Maggie so much. We adopted Maggie at 4, and we lost her at 11 1/2, not to the liver problems she was being treated for, but to a sudden blood clot. She was playing with a stuffie one minute, and the next minute she was down.

They have all taught me that my home would not be a home without several greyhounds lounging around and stuffies all over the place.

Molly was our second greyhound. Molly is my hearthound, my special girl who taught me about spooky greyhounds and so much more. Next weekend will be four years since Molly went to the bridge. Molly was with us from age 3 to almost 13. There is not a day that Molly doesn't come to me in some way. I know she is always near. I love you baby girl.

(Edited 02/05/09)

Edited by Greytlady94

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest cyndifla727
SieSie will always have a place in my

heart...because of her, I'm in love with greyhounds.  I'll never forget the first day I met her...she put her head in my chest and knocked me flat on my ass  I wanted to know where I signed.

My thoughts are so like these, what a wonderful sentiment and tribute to her. I have my first grey now, I have not lost one but I sometimes come here and cry with you all as I am sure it has got to be some of the saddest moments of your lives. Bandit has just turned 3 and we adopted him (or he adopted us) only 6 months ago. He has been the light of our lives and my love of these beautiful creatures because of him has propelled me to volunteer and get involved with local grey adoption groups. My heart goes out to each of you who have lost one of these special family members, but your words here help to heal yourselves and each other and they also help us all to remember to cherish each moment we have with these angels. Thanks for sharing with us. Cyndi

Joe taught me that it's enough to just be who you are. He also taught me that just because you won't follow simple commands doesn't mean that you aren't SMART! (He didn't sit, but he could get out of his crate, and get the fridge open -- in other words, he did what HE thought was important.)

It is very unfortunate that I didn't find the "world" of greyhounds until Joe was dying, but it was because of him that I did.

Edited by joesgreypoupon

Tami, Nikki & Gypsy (non-greyhounds, but still pretty good dogs.) Deeply missing Sunscreen Man, Angel (Back on the Job), Switzler Festus and Joe (Indio Starr)

Guest globe-trotting-greys

Jerry taught us that although seniors may have less time with you, they can still cram a lot of stuff in.

He showed us that dogs don't know what the word 'cancer' means.

He showed us that five months of fun CAN make up for six years of neglect.

He taught us that no matter how long your dog is with you, it will never be long enough.

And most importantly he let us know that it is NEVER to cold to lie in the mud :)

Fiona (missing her sweet grey faced boy today)

Guest bugatti

cameron, boxer, 12/21/02, made me a better person. he made me talk with strangers, made me keep my house clean, made me spend money on him instead of me, kept me going through the deepest depressions. what a fabulous old dog he was...the greatest 8yrs of my life and i think his too.

april

Cricket, boxer, first childhood dog. Came to us at 6. Had been a show dog and brood bitch. Had had more "homes" than a lady ought to. Taught me more than I can ever explain about love and joy and especially commitment. God bless you, sly old girl, hope you know how very much we loved you.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest CannonsMom
He showed us that five months of fun CAN make up for six years of neglect.

He taught us that no matter how long your dog is with you, it will never be long enough.

SO, SO TRUE......

penny(beagle) the first dog i ever lost ......she started my love for dogs.

altho i dont have much of an input on here with this particular subject since i have always grown up with dogs but none really left an "impact" what i will say is, i know the day that my cannonbaby leaves me and my old onyx girl goes too......i will have much to write. but for now i will write a living tribute to cannon and to onyx.

thank you both for coming into my life to ease me out of the loneliness of leaving the "nest"

thank you for watching me on those nights i cried 6 months ago and quietly letting me know that everything was gonna be alright.

thank you for all those nudges at the dinner table that make me spill my drink or make food fly off the plate and for the dustbunnies filled with fur that when im bitching and moaning while sweeping and vacumning ....im still saying inside I LOVE MY DOGS.

thank you for preparing me for the long journey of greyhound ownership that started with you both.

thank you for coming into my life and letting me save you....because in many ways....youve both saved me.

Guest CannonsMom

opps let me clarify.....couldnt edit after i read back my post

what i meant to say instead of 'not having an impact' was:

altho i dont have much of an input on here because i havent lost many dogs or because i was too young to know ..... what i will say is, i know the day that my cannonbaby leaves me and my old onyx girl goes too......i will have much to write. but for now i will write a living tribute to cannon and to onyx.

thank you both for coming into my life to ease me out of the loneliness of leaving the "nest"

thank you for watching me on those nights i cried 6 months ago and quietly letting me know that everything was gonna be alright.

thank you for all those nudges at the dinner table that make me spill my drink or make food fly off the plate and for the dustbunnies filled with fur that when im bitching and moaning while sweeping and vacumning ....im still saying inside I LOVE MY DOGS.

thank you for preparing me for the long journey of greyhound ownership that started with you both.

thank you for coming into my life and letting me save you....because in many ways....youve both saved me.

Guest FullMetalFrank

Iberia taught me just what is a true friend. Not just to recognize one, but how to be one. In the couple of years we were together he never failed to be a wonderful, loving, and loyal companion and my best friend. I can only hope I did the same for him, at the end.

Now he is gone, but never forgotten... And he is still with me, I know, showing me the way to help Frank.

Guest Yossarian

Genny: She was a tough, toothless, old brood mom with a load of health problems but had determination, spirit and a kind loving soul. Mine was the only home she ever had after 9 years on the track and breeding. She proved old dogs can learn new tricks (e.g. how to umake the bed to suit her own comfort requirements!) She was also the first dog I ever had to help to the bridge. She really made it clear that the end isn't so bad really, and she was ready to go, timing is everything, and they'll tell in their own speacial way. I sure miss her.

Guest Ferrevergrey

Taz-It's never to late to learn to love someone. He's made me dedicate a large part of my life towards trying to end animal abuse, so no dog ever has to suffer the same fate as Taz

Sandy-Enjoy life, and love everyone, and they'll love you back. Sandy never misbehaived, he showed me the joy of giving a dog that's "to old to adopt" a chance at life.

Midget (cockapoo, childhood dog) taught me to live every day like it's your first rather than your last.

Buffy (heart dog, cocker spaniel, died in March of 1991) was my best friend. She was 10 when she died, and I was 20. She was my soccer buddy, my dress up doll, and my welcoming committee when I came home from camp or college. Unconditional love was the gift she gave me...

Kat (my first kitty, a stray) taught me about courage and thinking of others before yourself. Kat and her baby Kashmir were attacked in our backyard (my parent's home, back in '92 or '93) by two huskies. I came outside to find them playing catch with her. Kat got away and climbed a tree to safety, regardless of the fact that every bone from her ribs back was smashed beyond repair. We found Kashmir huddled under a car tire not far from where the huskies had caught Kat...I'm sure she threw herself in front of her baby to save her.

Algernon (orange tabby with white socks, hit by a car at about 16 wks old), in his all too short life, taught me about being still and appreciating beauty. He had blue green eyes that I could fall into...and I still have a cheapy little ring that I bought just because the stone is the same colour as his eyes were.

Bo, my beloved greyhound...Bo left us too soon, but left us with a strength and dignity I had never seen before in a dying animal. He was himself until the end, and though his death was a shock it still served to teach us again about strength...the strength to keep going and care for our other hounds. Bo also taught me about silent beauty...I miss him more than I can express.

N

1891749469_26b4440a06_m.jpg
Nancy and Simon Dunne, with Clown and Daisy in Greenville,

SC....but missing West Yorkshire summat chronic! uk.gif