The Legacy

Burpdog

Obie, the Jedi cat... courage and strength of spirit

Squirt the cat... unswerving loyalty (and that cats really do take pee'd off literally :) )

K.C. the Kitten Chow cat... a warm heart, a gentle spirit... and a fearless hunter. Shortly after I adopted Honey, he went hunting for us, bringing home three rabbits - one for me, one for Honey and one for himself

Pinky, my AWOL girl... sometimes the brightest lights shine only in private

Willow... the first greyhound I met face to face. She promptly stole my heart and convinced me that I wanted to adopt a hound...

Edited by MarcR

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Nenasmom

My beautiful baby Nena. Where to start. I just lost her June 5th to lymphoma. In life she taught my patience and about putting others, namely her, before myself. In death, she has taught me the value of losing a loved one and at least having no regrets. Not one day of her life with me did she not know that she was loved and safe. I treated her like the princess that she was daily and I don't have to live with any would have, could have, should of's. Priceless gift and valueable life lesson. Sadly though, her passing has taught me the true meaning of a broken heart.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest greyhound

Oshkosh Ed taught me to never turn my back. Why? Because, if I did, he would run towards me and "bump" me, so he could beat me to the back door.

I am a quick study. I could always hear his full gallop and then turn 'round to slap his big 'ole horse butt.

Ed would get so frustrated with me.

Darn, I just bumped that human, and then he slapped me! He would bark at me (in a mocking fashion) when I chased him.

Doesn't really mattter. He always won. I wonder where he picked up that little "cheater" tactic? I guess true racers know what to do in the last lap!

Run free, you silly, goofy, Blue Brindle, Horse boy!

I'll whoop you in a race, someday, in Heaven. Then I'll nip at your floppy ear, BUMP YOU, and then bark at YOU!

But for now, hats off to you, my sweet Ed-ro. You are always the champ. We miss you every day.

Charlie - my first greyhound - taught me to be patient with love and made me fall in love with greyhounds forever.

Teddy - my second - taught me that love does not necessarily relate to how long you've known someone (we only had the pleasure of his company for 4 short months but couldn't possibly have loved him any more than we did) and gave me the gift of time for myself, as after his untimely death I was unable to return to a job I hated.

Bless them. :heart

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Lucky to be Here (6/4/01 - 3/10/07) - our first greyhound. She will always have a special place in my heart because she was our first. We had a rocky start but we all hung in there and learned a lot from each other. I miss how she would come and stand next to me when she wanted me to pet her. I miss her terribly. Her time with us was way too short.

Blaze (Airedale) - my heart dog. We got her as a pup when I was in the 9th grade and we had just moved to another state. She was my best friend during that lonely time. She was the sweetest thing. The first time I saw my dad cry (I was in my 20's) was when she died.

Prissy (Miniature Schnauzer sp?) - got her when I was 3 (hence the silly name). She was my first dog. She was so much fun to play with. All the neighbor kids loved her too. I have the best memories of playing in the snow with her.

Bri (Lakeland Terrier) - gift from DH. She was our first child. She lived to play ball. I miss her always being under foot with her ball looking for a game of fetch.

<p>Kim and the hound - Rumor
Missing my angels Marlow, Silver, Holly and Lucky

Lucy (my heart dog) was a mastiff husky cross. She had seizure episodes about every 10 -30 days. In between episodes she loved life and was the happiest dog I have ever had. She taught me how to fight challenges and make the best of what ever comes. Her life was way too short but she couldn't have been loved any more than she was.

Guest JMinAugustaGA

My first one, Angel Tip, left me knowing I would always have at least one greyhound in my home for the rest of my life.

:gh_run2

Lexie was our first grey and we didn't even have her a year...lost her to that d**ned osteo. She introduced us to the gentle spirit, the goofy smile and crooked ears of a greyhound. She roached most of the time and was cutest in her 3 legged pose : )

It's because of her we now have 4 of our own and 1 foster sleeping quietly throughout our home. She made sure we would never be without a greyhound in our lives.

I give thanks every day for her legacy to us and know she'll be waiting at the Bridge for us.

blackgreys5.jpg

, Phoenix, Okie, Casey, and Ellie the Galga; with Aggie, Alexa, Bear,Cody, Gianni V., Missy B, Babette, Bernice, and BooBoo at the Bridge

• 1 year later...

Cherry: She was our first and so far only greyhound. She taught this aging man many things that have made my life better. I hope to convince my DW that another dog would make our lives better but have not managed to make that case well yet. Here are some of my favorites.

When taking a walk, stop and smell the flowers, and anything else that happens to attract your nose, eyes, or ears.

Also when walking, stop and take in a pretty sun set or sun rise.

When people get up, take thier seats, it must be the best one, look real smug when they return.

When taking a seat, spin 3 or more times before landing in just the right position.

And lastly, always love and give love freely but save some special treatment for people when they most need it.

I sure do miss that girl!

Scott

Slim taught me the difference between the spirit world and the temporary earth world we live in. He taught me that we are all in reality spirit beings and that it was not his earth suit that I fell in love with and that was my soulmate-it was the real him-the spirit. Taught me not to confuse his earth suit with who he really was. Until he taught me this-from the spirit world- I couldn't go forward after his crossing over. It was just too devastating. He showed me that he will always be with me and that we can move forward together-just like we used to. The only difference is he is in spirit world and I am in the earthly world. He also told me he left me a little piece of his soul right next to mine so that we will remain always together as we always were when he was here. We never spent a single night apart until that fateful last night when he crossed over. He routinely sends me signs which are so loved and so reassuring. We are soulmates forever and he is and always will be the most important and best thing that has ever happened to me(except for when I received Jesus).

SLIM

Fearless, Faithful.....

Loves, Protects, Leads......

MY SOULMATE from the spirit world...(aka)Ruthless.

:beatheart

Guest jerrybird

Jerry's Lessons

Love your food even if it is leftovers.

Soldier on even though the discomfort is great.

You can see just as many squirrels out of one eye as two!

Give lots of kisses.

It's hard to let go of the one you love.

Guest houndstooth4

What timing this thread has! Treat's twelfth birthday would have been tomorrow.

What was Treat's legacy? She completely hooked me in to greyhounds, and she really was darned near perfect. As an ambassadog, everyone at all our meet and greets wanted to adopt her, and were always heartbroken when I told them she was mine, but many dogs were adopted by people who fell under her spell. She was a therapy dog, too. Once a woman actually cried there because Treat couldn't stay there with her. She had a way of making everyone she came across feel like they were the most special person in the world and that she'd been waiting all day just to see them! That dance of pure unadulterated joy is something I still miss when I come home. When she got sick, she was determined to keep her dignity, and that she did. She didn't like having to use the harness to go potty, so she'd stubbornly wait for us to take it off. Being carried she didn't mind too much, though! ;) Kids at school still ask me if she's going to come back for READ and to visit them. It seems that she left her pawprints everywhere.

Guest bonscoby

My dearest Coby (Yopon Not Much) taught me that I never had a heart dog before he came along. He was my heart.

He taught me that I could survive the death of my beloved husband and keep going. Once I started dating again, he would size up my dates and I felt safe because he had my back. His eyes never left the strange man in the house. He even bit one of my dates! (and he was right to do it!!!!) He would walk by my dates with his stuffies and let me know who was worthy. He picked out Daddy Don. I knew because Daddy Don was the only one who had a stuffy dropped at his feet. Coby was telling me that Don deserved to share his stuffy. In case I didn't get the message, Coby gave Don a huge kiss!

The simplest thought of Coby brings me to tears and more tears. He was amazing and more.....I miss him every single day.

I love you so much, my Coby boy!!!

Edited by bonscoby

When I originally posted on this thread I never dreamed that I would lose Emmy and Andy within 3 months of each other.

What a special pair these two were. They were closer than any two siblings I have ever met. I doubt that I will ever see this again in my lifetime. They were so close, yet so completely different.

Emmy taught me the true spirit of the greyhound. The tenacity, drive and total loyalty to their owner. She loved unconditionally and asked nothing in return except to have a basketball to play with. She taught me about greyhounds as she was my first. She was brave and strong until the end and has left her mark on my heart forever.

Andy was completely opposite Emmy. Andy taught me patience, love, kindness and above all, what a true hero is. He stepped up to the plate when Emmy needed him after she went blind. He will forever be my hero. My little boy, who loved laying in the grass enjoying the sun. My drama queen who made a big deal out of a little scratch was brave until the end.

Emmy & Andy, together forever and always in my heart.

EmmyAndy-4.jpg

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest IrskasMom

I am still crying over Ranger , but I got to write for my Boy Irska , I loved more then anything . He let me see into his Soul

and let me Love him without any hesitaten. He was my Heart and Soul. He also tought me to love again without replacing

him for another Greyhound . He is right here with me all the time. :brokenheart:brokenheart:brokenheart:angel

Miles taught me that animals DO communicate with humans more than one would think.

He and I...we had an incredible mental bond. Almost spooky.

I do believe though, that one needs to open their minds to that sort of thing and just go with it.

• 8 months later...

Pablo ~ with enough love, broken can become happy and silly.

His cookie dance was hysterical. Of course, my regret, is that I didn't get it on video. He would get the silliest look on his face, go backwards then forwards (with Grace barking in his ear) and backwards and forwards then start talking and if I still didn't move he'd plop into a perfect sit! I can't tell you how many times my foot got stepped on. He got so excited about cookies that I had to grab his collar and walk him (with Grace barking in his ear and then Isaac would join in) over to the cookie place.

I can't believe how big a hole there is in this household without him. Big boy, big heart, big presence.

He loved home and although he liked going for rides, he didn't want to be away long. Home was his safe spot. It's amazing what you can learn, if you but listen to them....

Pabloface.jpg

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Suzy left such a rich legacy that it is hard to express just one. Every time I see a happy hound in a home where Suzy did the home visit, I will think of her and thank her.

This morning, I got an application for adoption, from a fellow who met Suzy at her last meet and greet, two weeks ago today. What a gift to greyhound adoption she was and will continue to be.

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

Guest Energy11

Bold Energy was my first Greyhound. He showed me what a wonderful breed greyhounds are. He was my "anniversary Greyhound," my Bob got him for me for our anniversary. Energy got me through thick and thin, especially taking care of Bob when he was dying, and being my traveling companion on our three week road trip to "every place beautiful," with Bob's ashes, after he died. Energy kept me sane when I lived with my pregnant daughter in Orlando, and lastly ... when he was sent to The Bridge, he found My Curfew for me. SM Bold Energy's passing, TOTALLY changed my life! ... I got out of emergency medicine when Bob died, and started working for my vet in Florida ... he changed my life for the best! He was DH's first greyhound, too!

We only had Dasher for 8 months. His owner was going to put him down, ... one reason being, because she got new furniture, and the 12.9 yr old was religated into one small room, and he hated it! He went nuts in that room. She called our senior adoption group, and we went to see Dasher. She was more than willing to turn him over to us. We adopted him immediately, and he was able to share his 13th birthday cake with my husband ... they had the same birthdays! From having Dasher, I learned how wonderful having and helping a senior grey can be, and we made him happy, and he, us.

Max came to us through Neena, mother of the famous Genie. Neena makes collars, and was at a flea market one day, when an old man came up to her, in a golf cart, with a senior grey in tow. He asked Neena if she wanted a greyhound ... Neena called me, because I was with the senior group, and the next day, the old man, who had lost his wife and couldn't care for Max any longer, signed him over to our group. My DH met Neena halfway, and Max came to us. You guessed it ... I adopted him! He was with us for about 1.5 years. During that time, he went to Sandy Paws with us, and made two trips up to the North Ga. Mountains. He was diagnosed with OS shortly before we moved here permanently, but was able to make the trip with us, riding in the car with DH, and lived another 2 months before going to The Bridge. I learned what it was like having a grey with OS from Max, and the care and love needed for a dog with this disease. :f_red:f_red:f_red

Edited by Energy11

Guest Energy11
When I originally posted on this thread I never dreamed that I would lose Emmy and Andy within 3 months of each other.

What a special pair these two were. They were closer than any two siblings I have ever met. I doubt that I will ever see this again in my lifetime. They were so close, yet so completely different.

Emmy taught me the true spirit of the greyhound. The tenacity, drive and total loyalty to their owner. She loved unconditionally and asked nothing in return except to have a basketball to play with. She taught me about greyhounds as she was my first. She was brave and strong until the end and has left her mark on my heart forever.

Andy was completely opposite Emmy. Andy taught me patience, love, kindness and above all, what a true hero is. He stepped up to the plate when Emmy needed him after she went blind. He will forever be my hero. My little boy, who loved laying in the grass enjoying the sun. My drama queen who made a big deal out of a little scratch was brave until the end.

Emmy & Andy, together forever and always in my heart.

EmmyAndy-4.jpg

This is THE MOST amazing picture I have EVER seen! It says volumes ... no words needed!

Guest PawsDeDeux
Slim taught me the difference between the spirit world and the temporary earth world we live in. He taught me that we are all in reality spirit beings and that it was not his earth suit that I fell in love with and that was my soulmate-it was the real him-the spirit. Taught me not to confuse his earth suit with who he really was. Until he taught me this-from the spirit world- I couldn't go forward after his crossing over. It was just too devastating. He showed me that he will always be with me and that we can move forward together-just like we used to. The only difference is he is in spirit world and I am in the earthly world. He also told me he left me a little piece of his soul right next to mine so that we will remain always together as we always were when he was here. We never spent a single night apart until that fateful last night when he crossed over. He routinely sends me signs which are so loved and so reassuring. We are soulmates forever and he is and always will be the most important and best thing that has ever happened to me(except for when I received Jesus). SLIM Fearless, Faithful..... Loves, Protects, Leads......

MY SOULMATE from the spirit world...(aka)Ruthless.

I needed this thread to show up again now. Losing my heart girl Roady has frozen me in place, feeling like I can't go

forward. Racindog, your unwavering belief! I hear it, and I needed to hear it.

Roady taught me what a heartdog was. I fell in love with her before I met her, and in a room full of greyhounds

she silently, gently, but firmly pushed her way between me and the other eager greys so I think she fell in love

with me immediately too. She taught me that seven and a half years can be a lifetime and a blink of an eye.

She taught me how to be in my own house without being afraid. She was happy and sweeter than any soul I've

ever met, dignified, polite and tidy, and oh!her soft ears that eternally smelled - and probably still smell there at

the bridge - like puppy ears.

I have only lost one greyhound..Isis was my first and my little heart girl. She was the shy one that was looked over everytime the group would take her to possible homes because of her "standoff-ish" demeanor.

Isis taught me that sometimes the shy ones are the best. Because of her, whenever we get a shy pup in the foster program I am one of the first to say let me foster them. Seeing them come out of their shell and become the greyhound they were meant to be really warms my heart

Thank you Isis for giving me that gift..

Greg

newsig1127ab_zps4af4600d.jpg
Isis, Always in my Heart Bijou, My Sweetest Angel

Guest IrskasMom

Sigh .... Awww Diane ,what did you started . Memories about my Irska are creeping up and tears are in my Eyes. Ohhh

God..... how did I love this Boy , more then I can say. Just wish , I knew more about Sighthounds and in general at the time .He was my Heart and Soul :wub::wub::wub::wub: Unconditional Love

Edited by IrskasMom

We got Alexa in August and got the terrible osteo diagnosis in Sept. Post amputation we had 6 glorious months together. I watched her run through 2 foot snow drifts that winter and fell completely in love with her and the breed. It broke my heart when I let her go to the Bridge.

It is thanks to Alexa that our home is now full with 5 and will always be full of greyhounds.

blackgreys5.jpg

, Phoenix, Okie, Casey, and Ellie the Galga; with Aggie, Alexa, Bear,Cody, Gianni V., Missy B, Babette, Bernice, and BooBoo at the Bridge