The Legacy

Burpdog

Smokey came to me when I was 12 years old. He passed away when my daughter was 1. Broke my heart into a million pieces and I swore I'd never have another dog.

Deeyogee taught me how to open my heart again to the unconditional love of a pet. He was with us for 8 short years and I was ready to close my heart again but he came to me and sent me to Jilly Bean and ultimately towards greyhounds. I will love both of these pups forever.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zoe taught me that trust and respect are a two way street, but I always got back twice as much as I put in. Also that my home and my life would always be empty without a dog in it.

Mulder taught me that no matter how bad life may seem or how bleak the future may look a smile and a wagging tail could heal every ill, and make the world a good place. He had so much joy in his heart it touched every single person that he ever met. (and now I am crying like a baby)

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Angel Sophia came to us as a emergency foster. We said of course we will foster her. We got that call on Saturday. She came Sunday. We thought that this would be a piece of cake...we never wanted to adopt "an older dog" because we wanted young healthy babes that would be with us for a long time. She arrived and that was it! One kiss...one look into her beautiful but sad eyes...she was forever home. The legacy that she left us will live on and on forever. She taught us so much about love and about life and about time...and how to live each day as it were your last together. She was precious...naughty...spirited...and she had a grace and beauty about her that melted our hearts. She introduced us to the wonderful world of seniors and boy have we spread the word...Our Angel will live on and on through the many senior adoptions that came to be because of her. It will always sadden us that she had to leave us the way she did...she was not one of the fortunate ones that left with her dignity and we will always regret this. But on a lighter note...she has sent us signs and we knew exactly when she arrived at the Bridge and I am sure that she is perched on her cloud with her readings and I know that she looks down on us with love and anticipation of our reunion. With her greyt big heart she sent us a very sick girl because she knew that we would make her well for as long as God gives us together. According to the legend from Lacey Laine...she was guided by Angel Sophia and Lacey tells us she is doing very well. One thing is for sure...our hearts will never be the same again for the love of our seniors...they will live on and on. The legacy Angel Sophia left us was life!

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Dear old Mono puss showed me that normal is boring :lol

We still laugh till we cry at some of her crazy lifestyle choices, espeically as she seems to have sent a whispurr down from the bridge to Olaf who is displaying the same crazy habits as our old girl did :wub:

Guest DogGone

Cousteau (Basenji) - my first house dog, my first sighthound. He slept in bed with me and was a velcro doggie. We did everything together, obediance, lure coursing, conformation shows. But most of all we loved each other. He knew what I was thinking.

Merlin (Whippet) - I was at my friends house the night he was born. Cousteau was terminally ill and sometimes I would go play with the Whippet puppies to cheer myself up. One day I was floating in my friends swimming pool on a raft and Merlin walked onto the raft to be with me. He knew I needed comfort and he came home with me. All 40 lbs of him fit into my lap (somehow).

Cisco (Greyhound) - When Merlin passed on my DH wanted to wait awhile to get another dog. I could not stand coming home to an empty house and I'd read a lot about Greys. We got to the kennel and it was so confusing, so many dogs - how would I ever choose one? I picked Cisco because he had been there for quite awhile and I thought he needed me. Well, I was right, but you know what - I needed him more. He taught me that it was so worthwhile to reach out to a shy, reserved dog and find the love that was there, just under the surface. His dignity and intelligence was unforgettable.

I am so lucky to have all my bridge kids and the furkids who currently bless me with their presence. There are days when they are the mainstain that helps me deal with everything life throws in my path. They have shown me love, loyality and humor. I will never forget any of you.

Guest skinnydog

Gramma - July 1993 - July 2004

She taught me that even a dog with no front teeth can make a nasty snarl.

She taught me that doing the unforgivable is okay if you don't know it's wrong when she killed my kitten.

She taught me that all of the scientific knowledge doesn't help when it's your baby getting the final injection. Even though I knew she was gone, I couldn't stop telling her that it was okay.

post-5194-1103927474.jpg

• 4 months later...
Guest ZGrrl
Arizona: Friends come and go, boyfriends come and go, but your dog is ALWAYS your best friend and encourager.

353595[/snapback]

AMEN!!

Guest blastsmom

Ramsey (14 yr old Beagle) left me with the thought...

no matter how rotten the day can be, he was always happy to see me. He made me smile and comforted me, not even knowing he was doing so. He accepted my 2 greys and another beagle with open "paws".... he accepted my son 10 years ago, with open paws too...

Unconditional Love is the most important. My hubby worked nights, and my son was a baby. Before the greys and my little beagle, I was alone a lot. He was always with me. Companionship.....gee, the list goes on.....

And, for those who think that it just may be "only a dog" boy are they wrong... they are your family, your friend, your companion, and one of the most important factor in a person's life!!!

Ramsey will always be in my heart!!!

post-4313-1115324779.jpg

this is Ramsey, the day he passed....... I will love him forever!!!

:wub::wub:

• 2 months later...

I find myself referring to how much Magic taught me. All of the bridge kids taught me something--for some reason she has placed a heavy paw print in my heart and mind. Perhaps she taught me many lessons in the area I need teaching most -- patience :) I find myself watching my current kids and trying to listen to them and to be patient while waiting for the answer.

Her birthday was July 25th. What fun we had at her 16th party last year!

I saw a cute little tux girl in the office last Saturday. How I wanted to take her home!

Magic -- quite a grand old dame:

355Magicsweet.jpg

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest guinness_the_greyt

Harley - the amazing mutt (pit mix) and my heart dog of all time.

Some of the things he taught me...

That personality far out weighs looks.

That everything in life is amusing.

That pain is no excuse not to keep moving.

That unconditional love does really exist.

That there can be comfort felt in death.

That snoring is not necessarily a bad trait.

That eating cheap food will cause farting that will almost peel the paint off the walls.

That dogs can make the kissing sound.

That loyalty and friendship should go hand in hand.

That he was actually far more compassionate and nurturing then any human I have yet to meet.

That if you don't like someone completely ignore their existence and eventually they will leave you alone.

Guest caiteag

My little Isis (dwarf hamster) taught me that the brightest of lights can come from the most unexpected places.

Darling Cleo (dwarf hamster) taught me that size doesn't matter... all the matters is how big your heart is.

Dearest Pippin (cat) taught me that it's ok to drool a little when you're purring and that the best place on earth to be is cuddled up with your best friend.

I miss all of you every single day.

Guest DoofBert

Lexie -- my diva girl cat. No matter how humble your beginnings, you can become magnificent. Long car rides are boring without diva cat songs. And, just let those silly greyhounds do their greyhound stuff...so long as I have my spot on the rocking chair! ( It's only been a few days since she left for the bridge.)

Edited by DoofBert

Guest OnecoRose

Chloe, female 1997-2004 fawn brindle. She was my first grey, and the love of our lives. We loved her like a child, she was so sweet and shy but lit up a room. We miss her everyday, and because of our love of her, we adopted another last year right before Christmas. Run sweet angel, we love you very much.

Zoe taught me that trust and respect are a two way street, but I always got back twice as much as I put in. Also that my home and my life would always be empty without a dog in it.

Mulder taught me that no matter how bad life may seem or how bleak the future may look a smile and a wagging tail could heal every ill, and make the world a good place.  He had so much joy in his heart it touched every single person that he ever met. (and now I am crying like a baby)

1180123[/snapback]

I was just re-reading this thread and relised that I still had my sweet Scully when I posted originally.

Scully taught me to live each day to the full, there is always time to stop and smell the flowers and that patience is it's own reward. I miss you all my sweet wise Angels, thankyou for sharing your lives with me.

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Guest DeVon

Bart introduced me to the world of greyhounds, and for that, I will always be grateful. I have never been partial to any breed in particular, and have always had mixed breed 'mutts', but from the moment I first saw Bart when he pulled up with his daddy (he rode shotgun with his daddy all the way from the Tampa area), I was completely smitten :wub: I can no longer imagine my house without that gentle loving presence that only a greyhound can bring. I will also never be able to look at apples again without laughing. Bart chewed up several apple ornaments on my Christmas tree the first year he was here, and was the ONLY dog with red lips/teeth when I came home! :rofl :rofl :rofl

• 2 months later...

Beatrice taught us that no matter how bad things in your life become, it's possible to learn to love and trust again.

May she be happy and loved, as she was in life, wherever she is now; and may we be with her again someday.

Laurie

**& Angels Emily, Beatrice, Okie, Rhemus ,Vixen, and Rose-always in my heart**

My Angel girl Skye (my first dog, ever) taught me a thing or two and opened my eyes and heart about many things:

1. What is the point of having a "good living room" if nobody is living in it?

2. Overclean houses are overrated. Completely.

3. Giving love unconditionally can set you free.

4. Men come and go, but Skye always stayed to lick away the tears.

5. Beds were made for messing up, snuggling, romping and most of all sharing.

6. When you give your heart to a dog, you get it back and then some.

I am a kinder, gentler, more patient woman for having been loved by Skye, I am a better dog owner to my remaining greyhounds after Skye left me. She was one of the greatest teachers in my life.

I love her endlessly and miss her more. Tears are flowing once again for my beautiful Angel in the Skies. Sleep tight Skye, my heart aches for your soft muzzle once again.

:gh_run:gh_run

My Fudgie taught me:

Don't judge a book by its cover - he turned out to be everything I never thought he was capable of becoming :inlove

To be patient..... it took a good 6 months for Fudgie to come out of his shell and show his funny, quirky sense of humor and to give me all his unconditional love. I'm glad he taught me patience.... It's been his biggest gift to me.

The joys of rooing. He would have me rolling on the floor laughing when he rooed :) I always, always, always joined in with him and I think I enjoyed it the most :P

To pay attention to someone's signals.... Fudgie gave off good signals when he wanted something. I learned to watch him and pay close attention to his ways. He taught me to be cognizant of others needs :)

To stop and enjoy. I'm always going full tilt, and Fudgie would come up to me and press his forehead against my hip for a hug, he would just stand like that for such a long time, that's how Fudgie gave hugs :) .... that always made me stop what I was doing. He was so gentle in so many ways and yet still a bull in a china shop :lol

To share :) Especially my steak dinners :lol I love to eat, and had never been a good sharer with my food :P But when I would sit down to eat and look over at Fudgie.... his big brown eyes looking at me so hopefully, how could I not share!!! :)

The unbelievable pain of losing a pet. Fudgie is my first dog to go to the Bridge. The pain I felt and still feel is incredible... it's a physical pain that hurts when I look at his picture. I know that what I'm feeling is an intense loss of friendship and love. I thank him for teaching me to feel those things that only a dog can give you.

Diane

4463Fudgie_and_Goods_draft_2_sharpened_small.jpg

Fudgie 2/27/96 - 8/14/05 and Goods 2/27/96 - 3/12/08 ~~Together again~~

I've lost so many, but the two latest were:

Millie, my one and only greyhound. My heartdog. A real goofball. I will NEVER get over her passing. It hurts nearly as much today as it did when she left us 3 years ago.

Sabu, the mother of our cats. She passed last February, but only a few months after she completed her most important task: being my companion as my brother was dying. She rarely came into the house, but she knew something was happening the day my brother died nearly a year ago. She never left my side.

Gunnar lft me a better understanding of how to act like an alpha dog, and how to deal with insolence from the underlings.

He also left me with an understanding of just how rewarding it is to adopt a senior.

He left me with many moments of laughter and snuggles.

But most of all, he left me with love. I will never, never forget him, and will miss him always!

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

• 5 weeks later...

Heart taught me:

Even when your heart is breaking, you can be a lady. You can have a little fun. You can heal. Sometimes the healing takes a very long time, but it will come. All you need is one person who will accept you as you are, to love you as you are right now without trying to change you.

And...being stubborn....can be a good thing sometimes :wub:

Friends are always a good thing (even when they are nosey):

solomonheart.jpg

Edited by Burpdog

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

• 2 months later...

355Iveycurl.jpg

I have had a hard time with this and Ivey. It finally dawned on me today, why. It's because I had so much more to learn from her! Time was cut short--I wasted time and that I regret.

Ivey reminded me always to be sweet and loving: when you are, even when you do something bad like eating socks, you will be forgiven :)

She taught me there is never enough cuddle time in the day and to always be ready for a hug and an ear scritch.

Miss you sweet mama dog.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits