The Legacy

Burpdog

Guest jettcricket

My bridge kids taught me about unconditional love, trust and forgiveness.....forever in my heart. :beatheart

I miss them more than words can say....what I would give to just hold them one last time.

Edited by jettcricket

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 2greygirls

Having had some bad news in the grey world around me , this thread is so timely..they get to stay with for so short a time..

Leda Irene: 12

taught me that a dog can indeed rule the universe, that the Jedi mind trick exists and greys have it, that telepathy is possible, that love is unconditional, that queen broodies need to approached with the proper protocols, especially if you aren't a grey...most of all she was my first greyhound, and opened a whole new world to me...

Marbled Girl:12

Leda's litter mate, and bestest friend..was an angel on earth, she taught me that age is in your head, that persistance pays off, and dogs know people better than people now people. She also taught me that greyhounds make the best cuddle partners.

I lost my old ladies months from each other, many of you knew them... I miss them still

Speck the Cat: 17

lived wild most of her life until I found her, and fought to survive, she taught me to never give up, to fight for your place, and that cats are the boss. She was a true friend and with me through very tough times.

Guest SueG201

My first greyhound Grace was a true spook, I adoopted her at 2 yrs old from a rescue group which I ended up becoming the main adoption rep for after adopting my first greyhound. I had to deal with

tons of issues with Grace, but after 8 months I brought home my Love of My Life " Paws Bahama Joe" son of the infamous Dutch Bahama. So you can imagine what his eyes did to me everytime I looked into them it made me want to save and rehome so many more greyhounds. He was th true spokesman for greyhound adoption, literally letting kids lay on him and hug him and M&G's for al the years I had him. I felt robbed because I lost Grace at age 5 to OS and then Joe at 9.5 to O.S

I have Joe's granddaughter still who is almost 11 and I will always have a greyhound in my life

because of a c hance encounter while working at a Vets office wh ere a greyhound came in and I

was in love, and I said to the woman " you can see their souls their their eyes", that was it, and I have had greys for 18 yrs now, so that is my story

Casey was our first greyhound, and was one of the "green eared dogs".

He came from a place where the folks had learned to trust greyhound adoption, but not enough to allow one of their dogs to be traced back to them. Casey taught us about greyhounds, how they can look into your soul, how gentle and mighty their love is, and how there is no other breed of dog that is quite like an NGA greyhound, and how an ex-racer has a certain grace and self discipline about them. Casey was 4 when we adopted him. We lost Casey when he was only 8.

Charlie was our fourth greyhound. He had made a long trip from Alabama on a hauler that brought 23 greyhounds from Alabama to Houston. From his first day when we would go to the kennel to feed and let the greys out to potty, instead of running out in the yard like the rest, Charlie would stay at my side like he was glued there. He was our velcro dog. He was only with us for two years, we adopted him at 4, and he was lost to osteosarcoma at 6.

Maggie was our third greyhound. Oh my Maggie girl, she grinned all the time, she talked to me every night, she loved to play, throwing stuffies in the air, she was the champ at wiggling her way in, pushing the others back so she could be first for rubbing and ear scritches. She was the champion roacher of all time. I miss Maggie so much. We adopted Maggie at 4, and we lost her at 11 1/2, not to the liver problems she was being treated for, but to a sudden blood clot. She was playing with a stuffie one minute, and the next minute she was down.

They have all taught me that my home would not be a home without several greyhounds lounging around and stuffies all over the place.

Molly was our second greyhound. Molly is my hearthound, my special girl who taught me about spooky greyhounds and so much more. Next weekend will be four years since Molly went to the bridge. Molly was with us from age 3 to almost 13. There is not a day that Molly doesn't come to me in some way. I know she is always near. I love you baby girl.

(Edited 02/05/09)

Renie, Weenie girl, Weiner, Little girl... Renie was our fifth greyhound. Renie taught me a lot about bouncing back, and how cute annoying could be. Little girl had so many weird medical problems through the years. Nothing Renie had was typical. In spite of it all she was a happy, pushy little girl and with Molly gone, Renie took over as the greyhound in charge. She took being in charge very seriously. Renie was lost to osteo at 11 1/2. I miss you little girl.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest canagreyts

Our bridge dog is Skeeter. She was a cross between a shepard and a blue heeler. When she passed we had her cremated. Her ashes sat on our mantle for many years. I often told my husband and daughter that I wanted to spread her ashes somewhere where she used to play, but they were adament that they wanted her to stay with us on the mantle.

Last March when we lost our daughter Angi, we decided to have her ashes interred in a small crypt. Darin and mine is the one beside hers. I was so sad at the thought of her being alone in hers. I thought and thought and then remembered Skeeter's ashes and found out I could place their ashes together in Angi's crypt. I was so happy at the thought of them being together.

Months later I went to visit a medium. It was an amazing experience. At one point she said to me that Angi had her dog with her. I said to her, no, Angi had a cat. She was very adament and said, no, she has her dog. The dog is black and brown and has a pointy nose. In tears I remembered that we had placed Skeeter with Angi. The medium told me that Angi said they were always together.

So, that is the final gift Skeeter gave to us. Eternity shared with my cherished daughter. Companionship for them always. We welcomed Skeeter into our home on Boxing Day years ago when Angi was 11 years old. She was the most amazing canine and now she's with my amazing daughter.

Thank you Skeeter.

Love,

Momma

Guest sophjoe03

Josie - Sat the 28th is her Birthday and she has been gone since Sept 14th this year. She has taught me that it doesnt matter what the outside looks like, that you need to look deep into the heart. That you should never judge a book by its cover, you may find a master piece once opened. She wasent my first pick when we decided to get a second greyhound but Sophie insisted that she was the one and thats how Josie came into our life and I am glad she did. She became my Heart girl. She wasent the prettiest girl in the bunch but her heart was as big as the rainbow. Josie became this beutifull smart girl once we got her home and given her a bath. She has also taught me to let things roll off my shoulders. Life isint worth being upset about for the entire day. She taught me to be upset in the moment then move on and enjoy what I was given. I miss you my sweet girl and you have given me a lot in life.

Edited by sophjoe03