The Legacy

Burpdog

Guest brandihernandez

Soleil my kitty who died a quite untimely death a few years ago taught me that an animal can be your best friend, and that the footprints they leave on your life can never be replaced.

Soleil was the best kitty in the world, and I still cry when I think about her death, which happened on my birthday.

She was my first pet, and my best friend.

I still miss you Soleil. I'm so very, very sorry. :cry1

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SissysMom

Gabby (Australian Shepherd) She taught me that it was silly to not allow a dog on my bed or couch for who cares if it is covered with dog hair! She taught me that it is important to always be loving and kind because everyday is a gift. And most of all she taught me that any dog can be taken from a bad situation and made into a wonderful pet.

• 6 months later...

Today would have been SieSie's 14th birthday, and earlier this month would have been Shadow's 15th birthday. A month of birthdays reduced to my sweet Heart's on the 27th (very big sigh).

I still miss them, a lot. I've called Solo Shadow three times in the last two weeks. I don't think I'll ever make that mistake with SieSie :lol

After 7 months I still remember their extreme desire to live. Every time I don't want to get up and do anything (FM has a way of doing that to you), I think of their desire and how they managed to live and walk and do even when it wasn't easy.

I also remember everyone's kindness during that diffult time: words, emails, gifts, etc. I still have some not acknowledged. It's something I still have to do. Every time I sit down to do it, I can't. I apologize to all those I have not acknowledged--it's been too painful and I haven't been able to push through it. Perhaps posting today will jump start me.

So--SieSie & Shadow also left me with their desire & will to go on, no matter how difficult. Another tribute to them both.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest canagreyts

Our blue healer/shepard x Skeeter was the first dog my husband and I adopted after we bought a house. She came to us from the HS at 8 months of age. When we arrived home, she just wanted to stay in the car - that was good enough for her. When we brought her into the house, she just walked over to the couch and lay on the floor. She always tried to be sooo good that my husband would say "I wish she'd just do something wrong so that she'll realized nothing bad is going to happen". We had Skeeter for 8 years and she was the most intelligent dog I've ever known. We swear she knew the English language. My husband (a truck driver) was on the road in June of '02 when the disease she had accelerated to the point that she couldn't walk and cried in pain when picked up. I called him to ask him if he wanted me to keep her alive until he could get home, but she was in such pain he just wanted it to be over for her. It was the first time I'd ever had a dog put to sleep and it was one of the saddest days in my life. Skeeter left us on Wednesday and although I had said no more pets EVER, we adopted and brought home Maggie the next Saturday. That was the best route for me personally as Maggie needed lots of attention and help adjusting to her new life. It left little time for me to delve into any self-pity and although the first little while was hard, I've never regretted adopting so quickly after the loss of Skeeter.

Skeeter taught us about giving, that you just do it and do it. She never expected anything, but always gave everything. She was a special girl and we'll always miss her.

Guest azlorenz

Jeffrey, my grey who passed from Valley Fever this last August, taught me that in the grand scheme of things the important thing isn't how much time you are here on earth but what you do while you're here. He left me with a purpose. Educating pet owners about the dangers of Valley Fever and therefore, keeping his memory alive. When I get discouraged, he always give me a sign to keep me going.

Edited by azlorenz

• 2 weeks later...

Pippin, my childhood dog. You taught me what a beautiful, selfless thing the love of an animal is, and how much richer my life will always be because I've had the privelege of sharing it with my animal companions. You were my best friend when I felt like no one else understood, and you always, always looked after me and protected me. In my dreams, I see you running freely and I know you're happy and free from pain.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest guinness_the_greyt

BlueBird - (Black Lab) Blue was our first dog... He gave me my first love of dogs.

Buzzard - (Black Lab) Buzz was the most gentle soul, he let me dress him up like a dog everyday! He was a sweetie. He was also my first experience with SA. He ate a couch and the carpeting in the diningroom.

Sandpiper - (beagle) Piper was attacked by another another one of our dogs Maggie... She died in my arms when I was 8yrs old. :(

Magpie - (Black Lab) Maggie was an incredibly jealous dog and killed Piper. She taught me how to forgive... She went on a trip with my Pop the day Piper died and never came home. :(

Blue Two - (Black Lab) I called him Deuce. He was my heart dog. My parents got me Deuce after some really bad things happened when I was 12. I needed that dog more then he ever needed me. He was loyal, loving, and full of vinegar! He was the funniest dog I will ever have. I cant even think of him without crying and its been 10 years since he went to the bridge. I will never have another dog named after a bird.... I don't think I will ever own a Lab again. He was the ultimate. :wub:

What a touching thread--I've enjoyed reading these posts tremendously!!

Emily--our first Grey. Opened my DH up in a way I never thought possible. She turned him into an animal lover.

Every time I see him with our Greys, how kind and gentle and patient he is, I think of Em. Her spirit is always with us.

Laurie

**& Angels Emily, Beatrice, Okie, Rhemus ,Vixen, and Rose-always in my heart**

My dear sweet lovable Bullet came charging into my life almost 10 years ago. A big black rambunctious, scarred up boy with a broken toe and half a tail. He had previously survived an attack by 5 other greyhounds during transport and bounced a few foster homes along the way. He was the highest strung greyhound they had ever seen. But what did I know? He seemed okay to me. And he made it quite clear to his latest fosters that I was the mom for him. (That's what they told me anyway.)

Bullet adored living with me. Not once did I ever question that. He was the happiest dog I have ever met. He played with such reckless abandon that I couldn't help but continue to feed his stuffy (with squeaker) habit, only to watch him rip each one to shreds within seconds of their capture. I honestly have never seen a greyhound act like he did with a new stuffy. He looked like he was having an uncontrollable siezure that would not end until that stuffy was noiseless and flat.

Life at home was a constant party. One move, one noise from me, would bring him bounding through the house, screeching to a final halt within one inch of my face, just to make sure I knew he was ready to go. We had a lot of false alarms, but he never let it get him down. He was thrilled just to be in the same room looking at me with his mouth wide open and tongue hanging out as always.

I swore I would never get another greyhound after him. It took a lot of effort living with this dog! Calm? Hah! I'd been had! Not once did he even get the clue that yelling meant I was mad. He never knew what mad was. Silly me, I knew it only reved him up more. But how could I stay mad at that goofy face, adoring me like he did?

One day, I found him standing in the middle of the kitchen, obviously in a lot of distress, panting like he couldn't catch his breath. I knew something was wrong, so I grabbed my keys to take him to the vet. As it turned out, he was going into heart failure, but just the sound of those keys jingling got him so excited about going for a walk, he tried to do his happy dance in the middle of his heart attack!

What a wonderful dog he was to know for those 6 years. I never realized just how much he meant to me, until he was gone. I can still feel the pain like it was yesterday.

Bullet taught me how to really appreciate the simple things in life. How to be happy just by being with someone you love. And how anything more than that is icing on the cake. Thanks to him, I have a much higher appreciation for my dogs and make the best out of the time we have together. Bullet taught me how to be a better greyhound owner, just by being a best friend.

Jenn

Edited to add: This is not the type of dog to be waiting for anyone at the rainbow bridge. I gave up on that idea a long time ago. :gh_run

Edited by jenn8
gallery_3252_2927_10878.jpg

• 1 month later...

Solo~

Summ Knockout, 8-4-1990 to 3-28-04

Even when life isn't fair and when it's especially tough, there is joy to be found in simple things like good food (liverwurst, cheese, roast beef) and soft ear scritches.

When you are hurting, physically and/or emotionally, you adjust as best you can and plug away knowing there are good days & bad days. I watched him as his walking became worse, adjust his balance--the way he stood, walked, tinkled, stood at the food bowl, water bowl, & layed down. He never complained about his disability--he didn't like it, but he didn't complain. No matter how bad, or good he was, he always greeted me with chattering & glee, looking for hugs (he'd press into my leg). In other words, pain or discomfort is no reason for not loving and showing love.

Four months was not long enough......

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest Greymom19

Fletch taught me so much. He was my best friend during a really hard time in my life and I can never thank him enough for being there for me. He mostly taught me to never give up, since he never did. Knowing and loving Fletch has made me a stronger person. He had a very very hard life before I adopted him but he never gave up. I miss him very much.

Far Out Fletcher

December 16, 1997 - January 15, 2004 :candle

Guest Gideon

Since I have only had cats growing up:

Claudia: The scars that show what mis-behaved children can look forward to from a p.o.'d cat

Constantly: Always up to something (hence the name). How many of my shirts did you eat?

Jetta: Used to sleep curled up in the curve of my neck. I can still feel her there sometimes

Claude: How funny or stupid could a huge tom-cat be? You showed me. A born buddy all the way

Tiger: Used to wrap his tail around my neck on the couch and played a really great game of 'ain't gonna get me off the bed." He could find a way to stay on the bed while I was making it in the morning without having to jump off

Jolee: Just a nice peaceful animal who loved to slaughter mice

Squatchmonster: Why did you pee on that? Loved frozen peas and was the most insane of them all

Rose: Adopted my aunt in Maryland. She was a stray cat who could take care of herself, didn't need anybody to get by but chose to be with us. doG's true showing of what free will means and it's something I'll never, ever forget

Thanks guys.

• 3 weeks later...

Cody made me realize that the universe is full of love, just waiting for us to let it in.

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

Guest TaniandMalachy

Josh (the wandering, vagabond Lurcher) taught me that sometimes people/dogs come into your life only when you're ready for them...not before. That love is unconditional and uncomplicated when it comes from a free-spirited and independant soul.

Guest stars20

Tootsie (Boxer) We lost her just a few days before she would have turned 12! Quite old for a Boxer. Tootsie was a mother to all who came in contact with her, even me. After foot surgery and developing a staph infection, she stayed in bed with me the entire day until my wife came home. (next day--to the doctor, hospital and surgery). It has been about 1 1/2 years since Tootsie went to the bridge. Funniest thing--Tootsie shored. How quiet our house has been and we have 6 greys and 5 Iggies!

She will always be very special to us. We still have three Boxers (her son, Boss and a grand daughter, Hannah) and Millie (who is almost a spittin' image of another Boxer we used to have named My Keepsake Kady (Kady).

I already talked about getting a 3 generation picture, but never got around to doing it. Now, I kick myself...

With 6 greys and 5 Iggies, I know our time will be coming for this page again. Hopefully, not for a long, long time.

Guest greyhoundobsession

Batuke (lab mix)...born sometime in 1988/died October 11, 2003 at home in the backyard with a tennis ball in his mouth, his head in my lap, and DH giving him gentle ear scratchies. It was the best we could give him.

He taught me about unconditional love, and that there is no human being on earth who's heart can match the simple yet profound love and loyalty of a dog's heart.

He taught me that the eyes truly are the window to the soul.

He taught me that I never want to go another day in my life without the joy of a doggy snuggle.

He taught me that no matter how bad it seems nothing is unbearable, as long as you have a best friend who loves you.

He taught me that what matters in life is being together, and having lots of laughs.

He taught me that no matter how crazy the photo store people think you are, you can never take too many pictures of your dog.

Batuke taught me that not having him with me is more painful than I ever thought I could stand, and that it is he who gives me the strength to stand it.

He taught me that every moment counts.

Sometimes I think that Batuke taught me who I am.

I miss you so much baby boy.

• 8 months later...

Magic taught me that no matter how old and frail you are, you can contribute to someone's life. You can bring them laughter and smiles. You can help them survive many trials. You can teach them patience :rolleyes:

Thank you, little cookie girl, for the laughter, smiles & fortitude. You got me through a tough year! :wub: you very much.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Bart was my first greyhound, my heart greyhound. I will never forget the day he pulled up in my driveway with his daddy. He had rode shotgun in his daddy's truck the whole way from Florida. He got out as if we had been friends forever, the helicopter tail wagging.

I fell in love immediately with him, and about five minutes later with the greyhound breed. I will always have an immense gratitude for Bart leading me into the wonderful world of greyhounds. I can't imagine life without at least one in my household anymore :wub::beatheart

Guest Joe_N_Mists_Mom

:weep I am going to wait to read this post until I get home.

Joey left me an empy space in my heart. It still hurts a lot.

He was such a good dog, he brought many many people over to the greyhound world. He was my best friend, always there for me. I got him after I divorced and we did everything together. I miss him so much.

Beansy was my heart dog. We adopted her at age 2. There was an ad in the paper...puppies for sale, mother free to a good home. We adopted the mother. The people who put the ad in the paper were not her owners; they took her from her owners after she had been found running loose and pregnant too many times.

Beansy was a black mixed breed who went to the bridge at age 16. She was terrified when we adopted her. She would hide and tremble if any voices were raised and she did anything to please. In spite of her insecurity, people were drawn to her like bears to honey.

Beansy taught me the value of love, patience, and unconditional acceptance. She left about 8 years ago. I still haven't allowed myself to grieve.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Chelsea taught me that no matter how hot it is outside, its always a one dog night inside the house. I miss her cuddling next to me.

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.