We've Started The Murray Ave Corn Cream

Guest Adrianne

Guest Adrianne

After about 5 months of hulling, Duct tape, corn pads, corn remover, etc., I broke down and bought the Murray Avenue corn cream. I probably would have bought it sooner, but I couldn't find a lot of information from people who had used it or were using it. I found several threads where people bought and were starting it, but not much follow up. So, I kept hesitating.

Anyway, now that I have it, I'd like to share my & Chevy's experience as we use it, so perhaps someone else looking for information in the future can reference this. I realize every dog's experience will be different, but hopefully there will be some helpful information.

Some important points: Chevy's corn is small, and I suspect he has not had it very long. However, I have no way of verifying how long he's had the corn. He limps all the time on hard surfaces, and hulling brings him no relief and not even a day without limping. After the last hulling, the corn doubled in size, but it would still be considered small.

I am and will be following the directions completely: softening agent on the pad, foot in a baggie for 20 minutes, massage corn creme on the pad, foot in a baggie for 20 minutes. Twice a day. I'll follow that each & every day and not miss a single treatment.

So......we're on Day 3 now, and this is what Chevy's pad looks like.

CornDay3.jpg

The corn wasn't hulled before starting treatment, but I did peel the top layer off. The first day in the baggie wasn't fun for Chevy, but putting the Therapaw boot over the baggie is a fantastic suggestion. By tonight, Chevy had no reaction to getting the baggie and boot on; in fact, he sleeps through it now.

I'm really hoping this is going to work for him. It breaks my heart to see how something so small and seemingly insignificant can have such a negative impact on all aspects of his life. That corn holds him down.

I'll update again in a few days and post a new photo.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JillinMichigan

I also started the Murrary Ave serum/corn cream combo on Friday, 4/1 with my two corn dogs Elysia and Birch. They both had their corns hulled under anesthesia on 3/18, but they both have started to limp again especially Birch with his left front foot bothering him to the point that he holds up his paw on concrete and ceramic. Birch has 1 corn on each of his front feet, and Elysia has 1 corn on each of her rear feet. I'll be interested to see how it goes for them. Birch is limping less which is encouraging.

I'll be watching with interest how it goes for you with Chevy. His corn looks about like Elysia's two rear feet.

Edited by JillinMichigan

Great news! I hope that the cream will have a positive impact for him. You're right - it really stinks that something so small can be such a drain on quality of life :nod

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Great news! I hope that the cream will have a positive impact for him. You're right - it really stinks that something so small can be such a drain on quality of life :nod

Boy don't I know it. Adrianne thanks for starting this thread to track the progress of using this corn cream. I'm sure it will be a big help too many.

Good luck with the corn cream - I know Susan and Erica as I get EZ's seizure meds there at a greyt price compared to other pharmacies.....

BTW they are working with Dr. Couto on compiling data

It is better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all

Missing my Big Blue eyed Bear

Guest KennelMom

I was going to order some, but wasn't sure if it was still available...do you still need an RX for it? Our foster has a pretty bad corn...right now we're doing the duct tape, though we've not had much luck with that in other corn dogs in the past.

We have had great success with the Murray Ave. Corn Cream. Our Zeke started with corns two years ago. The first year we spent hulling, using various methods to tackle it, but it was very stubborn and seemed to have a root that was quite deep. It grew back quickly, he was always limping and seemed to be living in his TheraPaws boot.

Then he developed a second corn on the opposite foot as well. That's when we discovered the Corn Cream and started treatment. We were amazed at how quickly the corns were brought up to the surface. They seemed somewhat lumpy and loose and I was able to lift them easily with my fingernail, or he would scuff them off while out in the yard. The second corn on the opposite foot disappeared completely never to return. Each time the original corn grew back it was a little smaller and closer to the surface. Since last fall he has been corn free with the exception of one little corn in the same spot as the original that basically came off in a day or two. We just need to keep the pad softened around the corn and it works its way out to the top.

I have also used this on our grey Fiona who had similar corns with the same great results. From my own experiences, I highly recommend this product for corns.

Edit: Forgot to add - Good Luck with Chevy's problem. I know how frustrating it is to watch your pup limping with corn problems.

Edited by Fiona3

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

I was going to order some, but wasn't sure if it was still available...do you still need an RX for it? Our foster has a pretty bad corn...right now we're doing the duct tape, though we've not had much luck with that in other corn dogs in the past.

no rx needed you just order it from the pharmacy and remember they do other meds also including compounded meds and will mail them to you

It is better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all

Missing my Big Blue eyed Bear

Poor Chevy :kiss2 Pal developed a corn a few months ago and he is 12.6 y.o. So far, the duct tape and dremeling it have kept it manageable, but if it escalates I will order the M.A.C.C.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest Adrianne

Unfortunately for Chevy, we have quite a bit of concrete in the backyard. Years ago, we had an in-ground swimming pool. When Seth started walking, we had the pool filled in, but all the concrete is still there. So, there's not much escape for Chevy from the hard surfaces.

Guest Adrianne

Update #1: Day 4.

Just finished Chevy's second treatment of the day. When I finished, I looked at the corn under magnification. (A camera lens, off the camera, and turned backwards makes a great magnifier.) I see what appears to be a small black spot in the center of the corn. I don't know if this means anything, but it is different. I'll try to get a photo and get it posted. The black spot is small, even viewed under magnification, so I don't know how well it will be seen in a photo.

Adrianne, I was just looking at the first photo of Chevy's pad. If you can keep using the cream and the pad continues to soften around the corn, you might be able to start lifting it up with your fingernail. At the bottom of the corn (looking at the photo) there is a slight ridge that should continue to rise toward the surface. I've found I can gently loosen the corn by going around the edge and eventually pull it up and off. It might take a day or two once you being loosening it till it can easily pull up on all sides.

Edited by Fiona3

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest TBSFlame

Adrianne, I was just looking at the first photo of Chevy's pad. If you can keep using the cream and the pad continues to soften around the corn, you might be able to start lifting it up with your fingernail. At the bottom of the corn (looking at the photo) there is a slight ridge that should continue to rise toward the surface. I've found I can gently loosen the corn by going around the edge and eventually pull it up and off. It might take a day or two once you being loosening it till it can easily pull up on all sides.

There was someone hulling corns at Mountain Hounds last year. I could not believe the line waiting for those services. It seams there are a lot of our hounds that have corns. I (thank goodness) don't have a corn dog, but you never know. This is great information to have on hand.

Adrianne

Maddie is a part of the corn dog club. I have had the cream and the serum but I must admit I had not been using it daily (bad Mommy Bad, Mommy.) We went last Thursday to the vet, had her hull it again (it had been about a year since she hulled it last- and Maddie hated it last time) This time Maddie tolerated it very well. I had ordered a another tub as ours had turned a brownish color when we put it on (I called Erica and she said to check the expiration date- it was about a week from expiring- threw it away- ordered new tube and vowed to start new- using every day) - have the dentral root elevator, therapaw and new tube came in last night's mail- so we will be starting today. It is sitting on the counter with her meds that we have to use for same paw as she had a cut that I did not know about (I thought she was licking do to the cream) so she is vet wrapped at night as she drives me crazy licking at night.

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

Wendy is not a "corn-dog" but does seem to have "soft" pads...Always getting sliced and diced. I am trying this stuff called Tuf-Foot which is used on dogs, horses and humans to toughen pads, frogs and feet. Guitarists use it to toughen their fingertips. So far, after about 6 weeks, it seems to be working. I found the best price here http://gundog.stores.yahoo.net/7-95.html.

I wonder if Tuf-Foot would work to prevent future corns once they have been hulled and healed?

From the Manufacturer:

Dog paw and pad care. Protect your dog's feet. Whether your dog needs to assist in the hunt, pull a sled, search through rubble, or just hang out in the yard, TUF-FOOT can keep his sensitive paws and pads in excellent condition. TUF-FOOT is guaranteed to toughen and protect soft, sore and tender paws and pads on your dog. TUF-FOOT has been shown to aid in the healing of sore paws and pads, cut pads, and bruises often having remarkable results within a few days. TUF-FOOT also prevents cracking and bleeding of of your dog's pads

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Another great before/after story we received from one of our clients about the Greyhound Corn/Callus Cream that we formulated and compound at Murray Avenue Apothecary:

Before (October 1, 2010)

I recieved the corn cream and read the directions which stated that I should have also ordered the product that hydrated the dogs pad first, so I did that more than a week ago and have not recived it, do you know where it is? Can I start using the corn cream now?

After (April 2, 2011)

I just wanted to let you know that my greyhound is corn free right now. I ordered and used the two products for several months as I was not able to do it twice a day every day so it took longer but it did work. He had 9 corns some very large, and the products just drew them out over time and they must have fallen out while he was outside running in the yard. There is no spot or hole left, it is quite amazing to me. Thank you for this cure, I was so distressed having them hulled every other month! All greyhound owners should know about about this not to mention the vets!

I did not take pictures, now I wish I had, the corns were quite big and came bulging out, it amazes me there was no blood no oozing of any sort, and no hole or crater at all left behind. Also, I did not wrap his paws with a baggie, I sat with him for 20 minutes after each application to make sure he didn't get up or lick it off. The solution in the blue bottle absorbed into his pads immediately, so I applied the cream like 5 minutes later just a dab on the corn itself, I didn't rub it in, and then sat with him. Thank you so much for this product! Should I use both products for maintenance or just the one in the blue bottle? Oh, and interestingly, both products were applied with my one bare finger, and then I couldn't get up and wash my hands for the 20 minutes and there was no ill effect what so ever to my finger..that was interesting to me. You are great at what you do!

For additional information, contact us:

Erica Trimble, PharmD

Susan Merenstein, R.Ph./Owner

Murray Avenue Apothecary

www.murrayavenuerx.com

www.yourgoddessroom.com

Guest Adrianne

Update: Well, we've been using the cream faithfully for 14 days now. Twice a day, morning & night. I don't see any big difference yet, but I'm going to keep going.

This is a time consuming process, and I can see how it would be easy to NOT do it twice a day. I'm at a point where I'm home most of the time and can take the time to do the treatment twice. It's a 45 minute process each time. Chevy sleeps through the whole thing, and he isn't a bit bothered about having a baggie & a Therapaw boot on for this amount of time. So I am able to put it on, set the timer, and walk away. But I can see that it would be very difficult if you had to sit with your hound for a 45 minute stretch twice a day if they didn't like the baggie and the boot.

After the first week, I was able to easily peel off a layer of the corn, but it didn't give him any relief. I thought I saw a black spot in the middle of the corn, but when I peeled it off and examined it, it was nothing.

The time involved was the problem for me. I can give it that much attention at night but not in the morning.

Duct tape doesn't seem to be helping us much either. sad.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest bigbrindlebunny

Just wanted you to know that I'm still following this thread, and thank you for all your efforts to document/report what happens.

Guest Adrianne

Photo taken today.

IMG_2183.jpg

I am still doing the treatment with Chevy twice a day. As of yet, I do not see much difference. The corn is raised above the paw pad, and I will probably hull it this evening to give him some relief.

I had hoped for faster results, but I'm not giving up. Again, this is a time-consuming process, and I can see why people would give up on it. I'm determined to give it several months if necessary; the tube of cream will last for quite a long time.

One change I have made in the last couple of days: I'm putting duct tape on his foot at night. I've found this, for Chevy, to be the best way to pull up the corn so I can hull it.

I too am using the cream and the stuff that you put on before it (can't remember with it is called right now) Maddie's pad is still hard from the corn, I have hulled it once already. I am not giving up. Can't do it twice a day during the week as do not have time in the morning, but try to do 2 times a day on the weekends. She sits there and lets me do it, but afterwards she tries to lick that same foot, so the "toddler sock" goes on that foot. When we go on our morning walk before I go to work, I put her thera paw on to try and give her some relief on that paw.

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

Guest LindsaySF

I'm interested in seeing your results. I have been able to keep Teagan's corn under control just by frequently soaking it (olive oil in water) to bring it to the surface, then removing it. It does eventually come back, but it takes a few weeks. I tried the corn cream for a while, but the results I got with just the soaking were the same that I got with using the cream also, so I stopped the cream portion and just kept up the soaking.