Dustin's Belly.....again....irritable Bowel?

mychip1

Last week, I posted about Dustin with bright red gums, red skin and blood in his stool. He has been on Vitamin K since and doing fine.

However, last night, I had been out for few hours. When I got home, he got out of bed twice and wanted to go out....both times went out and had normal poops - but I knew that wasn't right.

This morning, growly tummy and no inteest in kibble - though did want his turkey meat and a cookie.

Normal poop still. Then when I got back from the barn at 10:00 this morning, the poop was reltively normal in texture, but accompanied with bright red mucous.

I'm not sure that this is related to last week's issue - which we believe was something toxic that he found somewhere - though I still have NO idea what he got into.

Blood work week ago...normal.

Dustin occassionally vomits, but this is the third or fourth time w/bloody diarreah since I got him in June.

I took him for a ride today for change of pace....unfortunately he got a bit carsick - that's not all that unusual for him. Thankfully, no blood there.

His appetite is good now - and I gave him some organic plain yogurt and bought some chicken for tonight. Does anyone think this might be irritable bowel????

Edited by mychip1

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

No further info unfortunately, but we're thinking about Dustin nd sending our telepaffik gud fotes!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

There is a big, huge difference between IBS abd IBD, which are you thinking? Beau has IBD diagnosed via open abdominal exploratory surgery 1/09.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

There is a big, huge difference between IBS abd IBD, which are you thinking? Beau has IBD diagnosed via open abdominal exploratory surgery 1/09.

Sorry....thinking IBS....

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge

When was he last wormed?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Ashleigh

I was just skimming through and your post caught my eye. I have the same issues with Hank. It's not all the time...maybe once every month or two, but he'll all of a sudden develop this "rot gutt" (as I call it). I've taken him the the vet with stool samples and blood tests and they all come up normal as well. I've even taken him to an optomologist because his eyes are going cloudy in the colored areas. I was told to take him completely off raw food. Since then, he's been okay, but there are still days where his tummy gurgles and juices all morning with the most tear-inducing gas imaginable! No more blood in his stool, but they do get loose. The vets have no more answers for me, but I can certainly live with this. The raw food was just bad business in his sensitive little system.

You said you were giving Dustin yogurt, but have you tried just a probiotic additive on his food? I find the higher concentration does even better for their poops!

Could it be colitis? One of my greys used to get bloody stool with mucous when stressed,change in routine or he got into something that did not agree with his stomach.. Vet diagnosed it as colitis, metronidazole always helped. Good luck, hope your boy is feeling better soon.

Linda, Keeva and Bella

Batmom...He was wormed about two months ago...I wondered about that as well.

Ashleigh, have is eyes gotten better off the raw? Dustin is on a kibble - turkey based with no corn or soy. But, other than the eyes, sounds very much like what you are indicating....Makes me wonder about what Linda has posted about colitis.

Colitis is one of thethings I was thinking of....Yes, it's very bloody mucous unlike last week's issue with the platelets where it was straight blood. It does seem to be connected to some change in routine or stress...i.e the trip to new york too see my husband...or this time, me being out until almost 11:00 during a very windy rain and hail storm...(no thunder). He is a very sensitive character. I will ask the vet about this. The time with the new york trip, she wasn't sure if he had been exposed to something so she gave him an antibiotic along with the metronidazole. He was better very quickly...perhaps it wasn't the antibiotic that made the difference!

Thanks for all the input, everyone!!

Edited by mychip1

Guest sweetpea

Hiya!

My Sweetpea cycles through the exact same symptoms.

Tummy gurgles (sounds like a wild animal in there), no appetite, then eventually caustic looking (and smelling :sick ) poop.

After I first brought her home, it took me almost 9 months to find a food that agreed with her, but she would still cycle through

"rott gut" at least once a quarter, sometimes once a month. But like Ashleigh, it was workable, because it would resolve itself.

Until this past October, (abridged version) neck strain, prednisone, nightmare of side effects.

November, neck strain returned, Rimadyl, tummy troubles surface, stop rimadyl, tummy never stabilized.

'Fed her ground beef and rice for forever. 'Tried flagyl, probiotics, but every time I tried to transition back

to the kibble that had worked fine for her for 4 years, disaster.

Ranted about it in Soap Box, and was reminded of the great Iams cure. I had nothing to lose, so I tried it. Bought a small bag of Iams

(the green bag), transitioned her on to it, poops are great, she's gobbling it up. Yayyyy me!

About a month in, yup, you guessed it, tummy gurgles, no appetite. :riphair right?

Well another post in my Soap Box rant had mentioned Manuka honey, so I tried that.

One teaspoon at breakfast time, no interest in kibble.

One teaspoon at dinner time, no interest in kibble.

One teaspoon at the next breakfast, gobbled up her kibble.

One slightly caustic poop, then back to the gold standard of poops that Iams has given us.

So, long story long, Iams for day to day, Manuka Honey (15 IMF) for the gurgles works for us.

Good luck!

Buzzy

Hiya!

My Sweetpea cycles through the exact same symptoms.

Tummy gurgles (sounds like a wild animal in there), no appetite, then eventually caustic looking (and smelling :sick ) poop.

After I first brought her home, it took me almost 9 months to find a food that agreed with her, but she would still cycle through

"rott gut" at least once a quarter, sometimes once a month. But like Ashleigh, it was workable, because it would resolve itself.

Until this past October, (abridged version) neck strain, prednisone, nightmare of side effects.

November, neck strain returned, Rimadyl, tummy troubles surface, stop rimadyl, tummy never stabilized.

'Fed her ground beef and rice for forever. 'Tried flagyl, probiotics, but every time I tried to transition back

to the kibble that had worked fine for her for 4 years, disaster.

Ranted about it in Soap Box, and was reminded of the great Iams cure. I had nothing to lose, so I tried it. Bought a small bag of Iams

(the green bag), transitioned her on to it, poops are great, she's gobbling it up. Yayyyy me!

About a month in, yup, you guessed it, tummy gurgles, no appetite. :riphair right?

Well another post in my Soap Box rant had mentioned Manuka honey, so I tried that.

One teaspoon at breakfast time, no interest in kibble.

One teaspoon at dinner time, no interest in kibble.

One teaspoon at the next breakfast, gobbled up her kibble.

One slightly caustic poop, then back to the gold standard of poops that Iams has given us.

So, long story long, Iams for day to day, Manuka Honey (15 IMF) for the gurgles works for us.

Good luck!

Buzzy

I hate to hear the food change itself did not resolve things, but very glad to hear that the Manuka honey is helping. I thought about mentioning it here, but usually get shot down when mentioning a natural remedy. Nadir has had years of episodes of loudly gurgling stomach and bloody diarrhea brought on from NSAID use. I've had him at the vets numerous times and they basically throw a bunch of antibiotics to include Flagyl (which is also helpful for inflammation), pepcid, sucrulfate at him. The last episode he was treated with Flagyl and pepcid, which seemed initially to work. Less than 2 weeks later another episode so I talked to his vet and we both decided another round of Flagyl would be the best course. When I got home though I got to thinking about what I had read about Manuka honey for stomach problems including ulcerative colitis and decided to give it a try first. Afterall if I didn't see good results I still had the Flagyl to give him. It worked wonders, in no time poops were back to normal and his appetite was back and we still have the Flagyl should the need ever arise.

Guest 2dogs4cats

I wouldn't worry about getting "shot down" for suggesting natural remedies. I am a huge fan of Manuka honey for tummy troubles and wound care. I have found that natural remedies do take some time to be effective but tend to help for longer periods of time.

I'm never opposed to considering alternative remedies...and appeciate all the input. I have one vet for my horse who is a true believer in a cross between traditional "western" medicine and alternative approaches. I love dealing with her.

Thanks to everyone, again, for all of the ideas. You guys are great.

Guest 2dogs4cats

You can buy Manuka online and in health food stores. For medicinal purposes, I would go with a rating of 15+ (UMF). There is another rating system that is an equivalent, but can't remember what it's called.

Just checking in to see how Dustin is today...

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Just checking in to see how Dustin is today...

Thanks! He seems pretty good. That's why I'm thinking the colitis thing...particularly after a stressful night the evening prior with the weather. He's just such a sensitive soul.

Thanks! He seems pretty good. That's why I'm thinking the colitis thing...particularly after a stressful night the evening prior with the weather. He's just such a sensitive soul.

Good to hear Dustin continues to do well! I think we need pictures of this sensitive soul. Loved his video and he's a real beauty.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I am interested in this IBS...I posted yesterday that my greyhound, Mac had a very runny bowel movement problem that started on Saturday morning...but Monday it was full-fledged diahhrea!!!! And with a reddish brown tinge to it! He is a little skiddish, not nervous but things like fireworks and thunderstorms scare him. And we had a whopper of a thunderstorm yesterday morning. Mac has NEVER had diahhrea and has been through a lot. So for this just to occur for no reason puzzles me. Can IBS or colitis "just happen"?

After a lot of great advise from this forum and not allowing him to eat (which wasn't hard to do) anything for about 30 hours...I am glad to say that he is much better today! He was starving and I made him cooked ground beef (Angus) that I put through my food processor to make it finer and lighter, boiled thin soup noodles and a little bit of beef gravy. I gave him a cup this morning and he ate it all! We've been outside for a few walks this morning already and no diahhrea (yet) Keeping my fingers crossed. If there is no diahhrea, I will try to feed him a little more this afternoon.

I think I am so worried about my big boy, because last year in May, and on his 6th birthday, Mac had a stroke and was paralyzed on the left side. He was diagnosed with a blood clot in the cerebellum...with excellent medical care, a daily regimine of a BP med, a 1/2 baby aspirin , and tons of TLC from our family the blood clot dissolved and he is doing just great! You would never know that he had a stroke and was paralyzed...

I just want to say that this was a wonderful outlet to come to for advise...even when my vet told me to do the same...it just felt better to know that you are all out there with the same problems.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart!!! And hugs to Dustin and hoping that his belly is better too!

Babs ~

<BR>
<BR>Thanks! He seems pretty good. That's why I'm thinking the colitis thing...particularly after a stressful night the evening prior with the weather. He's just such a sensitive soul.<BR>
<BR><BR>Good to hear Dustin continues to do well! I think we need pictures of this sensitive soul. Loved his video and he's a real beauty.<BR>

DH took this when Dustin was recovering from the weird bleeding episode a few weeks ago....His face in this pic reflects his sensitive nature....Don't mind me in my penguin PJ's :lol <BR>dustinmama1.jpg

Edited by mychip1

Your greyhound looks a little like our Mac!!!! He is a big dark brindle...94# and tall! And also very sensitive! I hope he is doing better from last week? And do you think it was colitis or IBS? Mac is 100% back to normal, as I sent in my email to you. And I am so gratefrul for all of the great advise! I did notice that he has some gas, which is normal after a bout like this - so I give him a tablespoon of Greek yogurt mixed with his breakfast. It really helps! And since Mac has hypertension that he was diagnosed with when he had his stroke last year, I changed from regular yogurt to the Greek because it has very little sodium!

Frankly, I am still not sure what brought this on in Mac, since our other greyhound, Cleo, didn't have any of these symtoms! Our property has lots of deer and turkeys, so we are always very careful that neither Mac nor Cleo, picks up any unnatural tidbits out there when we walk them! But you never know!!!!!

I will keep checking your posts and hope that your greyhound is back to normal very soon! Thank you again...

Babs~

Dustin is a very handsome pup! Love his markings and colour.

Tks for the pic Robin!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

• 3 weeks later...

It sounds like what my dogs have about every 3 weeks..we are treating for worms with Panaur even though his stool tests are "normal".

That's interesting. Hadn't looked that route because the samples are all normal.