He's So Shy!

Guest RonsMom

Guest RonsMom

Hi everyone,

We just adopted Ron, a 4 yr old black and white tuxedo grey. He's the sweetest thing ever, but he's unbelievably timid! We've had him 8 days now, and he's definitely opening up to us, but he's still terrified of things. He backed away from pot lids the other day, stuff like that. He's started to wag his tail when I get up in the morning, and he will approach us for affection, but mostly he just sleeps. He was fostered before he came to us, and has had a really hard time adjusting to being in a new place. I want to help him relax, but I'm just not sure what to do. Is he going to do nothing but sleep forever?? Any advice would be great.

Thanks,

Erin

Is he going to do nothing but sleep forever??

Ummm, yes. He will sleep forever, considering that he is a Greyhound :P:colgate

Eight days is nuthin'. My rescue group's adoption rep told us the same thing time and time again during our adoption process: It takes roughly a year for your new Greyhound's personality to really develop.

So, if your guy is scared of pots and pans after only a week with you - don't be alarmed! He's adjusting, and will probably be over the coming months.

Lauren the Human, along with Justin the Human, Kay the Cat and Bernie the Greyhound! (Registered Barney Koppe, 10/30/2006)

Bernie-signature-400.jpg

I don't have a tonne of experience so I'm sure but I'm sure you'll get lots of great responses from others.

For me we've had two outgoing greys, our first foster, Sunny, and then our own first dog, Summit. In both cases though they went through a bit of a phase of sort of hanging out by themselves in a different room. I think even the most outgoing grey has a bit of an adjustment period. If your boy is truly shy then he might take longer to adjust. Our boys both became very outgoing within the first week, so beyond the initial adjustment I don't have much experience with shy greys.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

I forgot to add that the number I've read about Greyhounds sleeping is that they sleep on average 16-18 hours a day.

I think my Bernie is determined to beat that statistic, though, by the way he sleeps!

Remember, Greyhounds are one of the 'laziest' dog breeds out there. I might argue that they are THE laziest.

Lauren the Human, along with Justin the Human, Kay the Cat and Bernie the Greyhound! (Registered Barney Koppe, 10/30/2006)

Bernie-signature-400.jpg

Guest RonsMom

Well, he follows us around from room to room and hates being left alone, so it's not shy with us, persay. It's more of a general, "Wow, the world is scary," vibe. He's currently sleeping/laying down pretty much all the time, unless we're feeding him, walking him, or leave the room. He doesn't play, though I'm sure that's just an adjustment thing, he doesn't really get up much for pets, and he wants to go back inside and lay down less than five minutes after going outside. If he were any other breed I'd worry he was depressed! I'm hoping once it's warmer he'll at least enjoy walks more.

Summer didn't have much of an adjustment period and she had not been fostered, so was straight out of a kennel. She panted for a couple of days and that was about it. We had a shiny floor issue but got that solved pretty easy and we taught her to go up the stairs on her first day home (she had to, that's where she was going to be at night, up there with me).

BUT I have seen people working with shy dogs and, week after week, seen the shy dog blossom!

So don't fret at only 8 days! He sounds like he's doing pretty good and actually isn't overly shy.

Good luck and welcome!

Well, he follows us around from room to room and hates being left alone, so it's not shy with us, persay. It's more of a general, "Wow, the world is scary," vibe. He's currently sleeping/laying down pretty much all the time, unless we're feeding him, walking him, or leave the room. He doesn't play, though I'm sure that's just an adjustment thing, he doesn't really get up much for pets, and he wants to go back inside and lay down less than five minutes after going outside. If he were any other breed I'd worry he was depressed! I'm hoping once it's warmer he'll at least enjoy walks more.

Sounds like you might have a greyhound. :blush

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Relax and he'll be fine. Remember that so much is new to him, so he has to get used to everything, from stairs to pots and pans. Eight days is really nothing. It will probably take a while for him to feel comfortable. He might not know how to play yet, either. All of this stuff will come with time.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Give him time and space and patience. He will come around! This is very typical greyhound behavior and nothing is wrong with either the dog OR you!

If he's at all food/treat motivated you can encourage him by rewarding more confident behavior when it's exhibited. It might speed things up. Might not. Just treat him normally for now and see how he does.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Here's an article which might help. It's an abbreviated version of the recently-departed Kathleen Gilley's article "No Fear/No Pain". GRA Forum - No Fear No Pain

If you want the full article complete with training tips, you can find it here.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

My reply will be a bit different. Have you tried to play with him? Or given him opportunities to play/ do something? Shown him something fun?

I'm pretty sure my Bella would sleep around 24/7 (not around, just in bed...her bed lol )if we didn't play with her.

Greyhound Collars : www.collartown.ca

Maggie (the human servant), with Miss Bella, racing name "A Star Blackieto"

13380965654_dba9a12b29.jpg

Guest RonsMom

My reply will be a bit different. Have you tried to play with him? Or given him opportunities to play/ do something? Shown him something fun?

I'm pretty sure my Bella would sleep around 24/7 (not around, just in bed...her bed lol )if we didn't play with her.

Yes, he's got a small pile of soft toys wiht and without squeakers, a ball, a nylabone, and we've tried to entice him with them. I want to get a kong, and a treat ball as well, as that boy will do anything for food!

Yes, he's got a small pile of soft toys wiht and without squeakers, a ball, a nylabone, and we've tried to entice him with them. I want to get a kong, and a treat ball as well, as that boy will do anything for food!

It took Phoenix over a year to learn how to play, and that only happened after a second greyhound taught him how.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest Wasserbuffel
It took Phoenix over a year to learn how to play, and that only happened after a second greyhound taught him how.

That's about what happened with mine. She would pick up and/or mouth a stuffy for about five seconds, then be done. Then, one day we visited a friend and her pointer mix. Jayne saw the other dog playing with toys and I brought home an entirely different dog.

Don't worry too much about Ron at this point. He's probably always going to be lazy, but that's the breed. My Jayne gets up in the morning, goes out, eats, then naps on the couch until I crate her for the day. She sleeps all day in her crate, plays a bit in the evening, walks, then naps on the couch until bedtime. I honestly think my cats (one of whom is named Ron) are more active than she is. Yesterday it took her a full minute to decide eating a marshmallow was woth the effort, and she loves marshmallows.

You say he'll do anything for food. Use that! When I brought Jayne home, I hand-fed her for the first several weeks. I did it initially to help us bond, which it did, then later used mealtimes as training times.

Edited by Jayne

I agree with above posters about sleep being the natural state of being for a greyhound :), but he's also probably using sleep as an "escape" right now from his scary new world.

Is he an only dog now? How about a playdate with another greyhound or other friendly dog?

You mentioned he's not enjoying walks much, but there's the old saying that a tired dog is a happy dog. If you're able to take him out and let him sniff and explore his new territory, it will make him relax more at home and also help the two of you bond. Since he's food motivated, maybe take a few treats for the walk?

Can you do some gentle, positive training work with him at home? Again, something to keep him occupied and ultimately make him feel more secure. Plus, there's the treats!

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest Tenderhearts

Randy bordered on sheer terror when we brought him home. He was at the kennels for 2 1/2 years, and always was passed up because he didn't present well.

It took a couple of weeks before he wandered out of his crate, out of my bedroom, and actually came in the living room to get a potato chip, and then back to his crate he went!

I remember when he followed me from room to room too. He would stay right beside me when I mopped! :lol

It was kind of bittersweet when he finally felt comfortable enough to lay wherever he wanted, and left me to do my chores! :)

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

My girl Olive was absolutely terrified of men, and since I am daddy, she was terrified of me. The number 1 thing you can do to help your boy is to hand-feed every single meal for at least a month or so. It will bond him to you and give him loads of confidence in you. The first two weeks my girl was so afraid that I had to sit on the floor, hold my hand behind my back and not even look at her while she ate. It took over 2 months before I could hold my hands in front of me and feed her. It took that amount of time basically for her to trust me enough to come to me when I called her, or not run when I touched her. As soon as she would come to me, I started obedience with her. Simple things, sit, stay, leave it, etc. Fast foward two years... Olive is my little girl. She roaches on the bed at night between my wife and I and if we need to move her, she doesnt even open an eye. She LOVES to work at things. Treat dispensing toys, LGRA, agility. She still is a bit shy with strangers, doesnt really enjoy play days with more than 5 or 6 hounds at a time, but you give her a game with me or her mom, and she is in heaven. Tail up and wagging, totally focused on what you want her to do. I give this story so you can see how your boy will open up, and when he does, it will be the best feeling in the world. It takes time and patience. As I said, I believe without the hand-feeding it would have taken years and years longer to build the strong bond of trust that we have.

Chad

The world is a scary place for him, it's totally different from what he's known most of his life. He was taken from a track and put in a foster home, now he's been taken from the foster home and put in your home. His world has turned upside down a couple of time. It's going to take him a while to learn that the world isn't scary and that he can trust you to take care of all of his needs. Time, patience and love is all it will take to turn your baby into the playful, happy dog he can be. Some hounds take almost a year to adjust, most though adjust fine in around 6 months. Keep encouraging him to play, he'll get it once he feels secure.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Did you meet this dog before you agreed to adopt him, and is he behaving very differently now?

I've had mine for nearly three years. He doesn't play. Period. He enjoys eating, sleeping, taking walks, and following me around.

That's kinda what they do! Yes, there are some playful hounds, but most Greyhounds are really, really into sleeping. These dogs are not like retrievers who like to play, play, play.

I have learned to accept George for what he is; a wonderful, exceptionally quiet companion. Right this minute he is sound asleep on a dog bed at my feet. His head is on the carpet, and cuddled up to his butt is one of my cats!

Give your boy time. Things like pots and pans will stop startling him, but he may never sleep less and play more!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

He is so new to your home, only 8 days, just give him time to figure out his new environment :colgate Greyhounds do love to sleep, they have made an art out of it :lol! Max was our 1st and he has been here over 6 yrs, he is not interested in toys @ all, he tried playing w/them as I bought him a whole basket full, it's not in his personality, he started roaching in his crate the 2nd week, he goes nuts over going for a walk and going anywhere w/me in the car, he adjusted very quickly to home life, us and the cats. Sara came next and she loves toys, she came to me from her foster home w/one toy in her mouth, she inherited all of Max's and now has a chest full. She is a fun girl who used to sleep on the couch w/us when we 1st got her, not as much anymore. Max would not run in the yard we had fenced for him until Sara came, he is an independent guy who really would have been fine as an only, no SA, Sara needs a buddy, she kept trying to sleep w/him, he wanted no part of that :lol. Sounds like Ron is doing fine but just needs time to open up.

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

Guest IrskasMom

Time , Time and more Time ..... and you will see. Handfeed , Play and gentle Earscritches will get him out to be more confident. :):)

Edited by IrskasMom

We've had Nixon for 9 months.

He settled into home life easily...wasn't afraid of anything here in the house or the yard.

And...yes...he slept a lot!

But he is just now starting to understand about playing.

We have 2 other dogs...both senior girls...but he really does not show a lot of interest in them.

He does not play with stuffies, balls or other toys.

He loves his chew bones and kongs filled with food.

I started taking him to the local dog park in the summer, as there are other Greyhounds there who like to really play and run. He would go and meet them at the gate but then come right back to my side. He enjoyed the humans way more than the other playing dogs.

Finally - about 2 months ago - he decided that they looked like they were having fun and he joined them....little short bursts to start, but now he's 'one of the gang' and LOVES his weekly play dates.

Funnily...only the 4 Greys play with each other. They pretty much ignore the other dogs there.

So...like the others have said...give your boy time.

Lots of time.

And Nixon still sleeps a LOT!

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

As all have said, give him time. My Jack was painfully shy....and like Olive, very timid with men.

He had bonded to the person who worked at the adoption kennel and when I brought him home, I think he felt ripped away from her. On top of it, my husband and his dog were at his house in New York where he is stationed...so suddenly here he is an new house with no other hounds. He would NOT leave the kitchen the first several nights no matter what I did. It was like he was crating himself there. Needless to say, that is where I slept for several hours for those nights.

By the time he went to the bridge - sadly just two years later - he was my absolute best companion. He learned to play a bit (though our older, very confident greyhound does not play) and come out of his shell. I fully believe that had he not left me so tragically, he would have continued to blossom even more...

Good luck...enjoy these moments and every moment with your grey. Each one is a gift.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest crazy4greys

Agree, give him time. My boy Cooper took about a year to finally come to me and yet, 2.5 years later, he still will not come to me in the fenced yard. He loves to go on car rides but then hides in the back corner of the x-pen at the meet and greets like he is invisible :lol

He will not let any strangers pet him, unless he doesn't see them then they can get a quick pet in.

It took my DBF a year also for Cooper to come to him. It got better once Mike moved in and Cooper saw him all day. Now Cooper will come up to Mike to get petted. It helps because Mike also feeds the dogs dinner.

How shy is your boy? Is he fine with a regular martingale collar and leash? Cooper is very spooky outside and certain noises freak him out, so I had to buy a spook harness for him. I am so glad they make those!

Good luck and keep us posted :)

My new girlie, adopted right before Thanksgiving, slept almost all the time for more than a month! She would eat and go lay down to sleep, get up for a drink and go to sleep, go potty, go lay down to sleep, etc. She still sleeps more than my other two, but in the last few weeks has begun playing with stuffies and running around the house. I finally just came to the conclusion that she was tired from all the recent changes she has been through. This may be the case with your boys sleeping so much. The timid part will improve with time and patience.

june