Food Recommendation To Aid Skin & Coat

Guest Smiley

Since adopting Oliver and Gus, we are now facing the world of the flaky, dry black dog coat. We never had an issue with Smiley or Peanut, but we're working hard to get O&G's coats a little better. We started with Nutro sensitive tummy since both came to us with the big-D. We then introduced TOTW salmon (half and half)hoping a fish based diet would help. Gus just cannot tolerate grain-free food and I'd really like to have them both on the same food. We had great luck with Innova in years past, but I'm wondering if there's a brand that really, truly helps skin and coat. We do give Hair Of The Dog supplement (Thanks Tricia!) and have actually seen hair growth on the bald spots, but no improvement with the flaky skin. I do plan to add salmon oil in slowly once we shift dry foods again, but I'd love some feedback. What dry foods do you use that seem to help skin and coat?

We switched our dogs to Avoderm a few months back and their coats and skin are amazing. My vet even commented on it this week.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest Swifthounds

Rather than do the Kibble Switch shuffle, you might try sticking with a food that "works" for your hounds and adding fish body oil for extra Omega 3s.

Greyhounds can get "dandruff" when they are nervous. I used to notice this with black dogs and sometime brindles that I took to M&G. If these dogs are relatively new, they might still be nervous - you might want to give them a month or two and see if the problem persists.

We're on month 7 with Oliver and 3 with Gus and the Hair of the Dog is very, very high in Omega 3's. I'll add fish oil again once we are stable on the new dry kibble. As for the Avoderm, where can I purchase that? I'd like to research it and if I like it, I'd love to know where I can get it. Thanks!

Guest Swifthounds

I know lots of folks really like that supplement. It's about as high in omega 3s as the concentrated human grade fish oils sold in liquid form,but the flax and other sources of 6s and 9s promote too much inflammation for the old joints around here.

We're on month 7 with Oliver and 3 with Gus and the Hair of the Dog is very, very high in Omega 3's. I'll add fish oil again once we are stable on the new dry kibble. As for the Avoderm, where can I purchase that? I'd like to research it and if I like it, I'd love to know where I can get it. Thanks!

I also add fish oil, as well, for the omega 3 benefits. Avoderm can be purchased at Petsmart or your specialty pet stores. The parent company is Breeders Choice. It runs about $42 for 30 lbs. If you sign onto their website you will get an occasional coupon.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest mcsheltie

Any good quality food will be fine for the coat. Dandruff and dull hair in new dogs is very common. Dogs off the track blow their coats, food changes cause coat blow and most start a season shed in January. I think you just need to pick a food that works for both of their digestive systems, add fish oil (Grizzly is about the best and you can get it from the Greyhound Gang)and wait it out.

Omega fatty acids are what help skin/coat. I don't think it's possible to get sufficient quantity in kibble, which is why so many Greyhound owners use fish oils.

George's skin and coat improved greatly after I started giving him Grizzly salmon oil, and he likes it!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I've had two black greyhounds and also have a black non-greyhound. All my dogs get salmon oil and have shiny coats and no dandruff. My greyhound will get dandruff when he's been off his food(and thus off his fish oil) or when he's stressed(which typically goes hand in hand with being off his food). He's eating Acana Pacifica and Orijen Regional Red these days but ate CA Natural Lamb and Rice in the past. The quality kibble helped with the overall condition of his coat but it seems the fish oil brings out the shininess and helps prevent dandruff. I use Kronch's salmon oil.

You may not get them both on the same food. While my two greyhounds were able to eat the same food, I haven't found food that will work for both my greyhound and my poodle. I'd find the food that works the best for him digestively and then add an omega 3 supplement if you feel he needs something more.

Edited by greytlucy

OK dumb question, but where else could I expect to find Salmon oil on the shelf? We don't have Costco here. Would any Walmart carry it? If so, what aisle would it be in?

Jane is having some dandruff issues and I might give that a try if I can find it.

In the past with another hound I had good results using DermCaps. I also tried a product called Healthy Coat which is actually a supplement for horses but is fine for dogs too. I can get that at the local farm supply store.

I buy mine from a local pet supply but Amazon also carries it: http://www.amazon.com/Active-Pet-Feeds-Salmon-1000ml/dp/B000NV9VG0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1297897877&sr=8-1

I used to give fish oil caps from Costco. My vet had me switch over to this, though I can't remember the exact reason. Honestly, I saw good results with the fish oil caps too. I would think Wal-mart would carry those in the pharmacy area.

I've been using Salmon oil I get from Costco for about 2 years now. Opie has a beautiful black shiny coat.

We also give the dogs Salmon Oil from Costco.

We feed the capsules...they just gobble them right up in their kibbles.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Rather than do the Kibble Switch shuffle, you might try sticking with a food that "works" for your hounds and adding fish body oil for extra Omega 3s.

Ditto...Judy/JillysFullHouse told me about fish oil caps...they love it & within weeks you'll see a huge difference.

Beth, we have "Sardine Saturday's" (and sometimes Wednesday's) here. The campers share a can of sardines packed in either tomato sauce or olive oil, and their coats are soft, shiny, and no dandruff.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Walmart probably carries fish oil capsules.

Look in the vitamin/health food section department

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest Sunset123

I do fish oil every day, but honestly the best thing that I did to help Arrisa's skin and coat was to start adding water into her kibble. I have one of those hounds that isn't very interested in drinking plain water. Now that she's more hydrated she looks much better.

I haven't tried it myself yet, but I've read where a lot of people are having success with adding coconut oil to the food daily.

I recently started mine on coconut oil and have been very impressed so far.

Here are some links that convinced me to give it a try for my gang. And the girls absolutely love it! Their skin and coats already look better than they did on large doses of fish oil or salmon oil.

Coconut Oil for Dogs

Crazy About Coconut Oil

Edited by galgrey

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

I haven't tried it myself yet, but I've read where a lot of people are having success with adding coconut oil to the food daily.

I recently started mine on coconut oil and have been very impressed so far.

Here are some links that convinced me to give it a try for my gang. And the girls absolutely love it! Their skin and coats already look better than they did on large doses of fish oil or salmon oil.

Coconut Oil for Dogs

Crazy About Coconut Oil

I've been meaning to thank you for posting the article Crazy About Coconut Oil. What brand do you use and where do you get it from?