Harry At The E-Vet

Harry is at the E-vet today.

Late last night he had what I’ve called dumb seizure. Repetitive head motions, dazed and confused behavior. Sprite had these occasionally and they seemed to be the result of low blood sugar, we would give her some honey or some other sweet treat, and 20 minutes later she would be fine.

That didn’t work on Harry. He was still ‘odd’ this morning. They will monitor him for the day. He could have ingested something, we found some small remnants of some hard black plastic on one of the dog beds yesterday afternoon.

I got some of last nights’ behaviors on video on my phone, but too long to post as is. I will try to upload tonight to YouTube. The Vet did watch it and thought they could be focal seizures. I can handle that, Red was epileptic, not too scary a diagnosis for me.

Is 4 too young or just the right age for that to manifest?

Well, all for now, just wanted to share with others.

ETA: I uploaded the video to youtube:

sorry first 29 seconds are dark(lighting)

Edited by GreyWrangler

gallery_9376_3027_10401.jpg

Nancy and

Grace - Andicot 2/1/07

Solo - Flying Han Solo 3/20/11

Missing: Murphy, Shine, Kim, Sprite, Red Dog, Lottie & Harry

Look up vestibular and see if it sounds familiar.

:grouphug :grouphug

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

The age most dogs develop seizures disorders is between 3 - 5 years of age so he is in the right age bracket to develop them. I'll keep Harry in my thoughts and prayers and hope you have some answers by tonight.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Nancy, I'm sorry to see this. I use honey for Noelle & at the vets they gave her a small snack of canned as they didn't have any honey. Tues. night it took a full tsp to straighten her out, last night it was just over 1/2 tsp. I'll be thinking of both of you, let us know what the results are.

Hard to say. Hopefully some of the others with well-established seizures will see the video and weigh in.

Hugs and scritchies to your handsome nosey boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest CampWhippet

I had one develop seizures at 2-3 and another started with nystgamus at 6-7. 4 sounds possible to me.

I hope Harry is feeling better today and these don't get worse.

I've honestly only seen focal seizures in humans, so really have no experience with them in dogs. I will give you a little tip though, I noticed that the room was dark with either the tv on or the computer screen because I could see the flashing of the light in the background, that can bring on a seizure. We always have a light on when the tv is on to avoid that here at our home. My son was pulled over by a friend who is a cop one night and he had his lights on and Kevin had to turn away from them until he turned them off. If you've ever had an EEG, they will flash lights to see if it causes seizure activity. It's one of the triggers. You might want to keep a small light on in that room when you have the tv or computer on.

I found the video really interesting. During this episode, did you ever try and call Harry's name to see if he responds to you?

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I've honestly only seen focal seizures in humans, so really have no experience with them in dogs. I will give you a little tip though, I noticed that the room was dark with either the tv on or the computer screen because I could see the flashing of the light in the background, that can bring on a seizure. We always have a light on when the tv is on to avoid that here at our home. My son was pulled over by a friend who is a cop one night and he had his lights on and Kevin had to turn away from them until he turned them off. If you've ever had an EEG, they will flash lights to see if it causes seizure activity. It's one of the triggers. You might want to keep a small light on in that room when you have the tv or computer on.

I found the video really interesting. During this episode, did you ever try and call Harry's name to see if he responds to you?

The flashing from the tv was noticed by a friend and mentioned that. That is one of the things I was going to do, get a light that shines up for overall lighting.

I had tried to call his name earlier and no real reaction.

Batmom - My boy Red, had seizures, what were called Grand Mal, (sorry i don't remember what thay changed the name to) so they are nothing like that.

Nancy and

Grace - Andicot 2/1/07

Guest tinams8

I saw a video of a dog with Rocky Mountain spotted fever who had the same swinging head movements. Doxy improved it completely, I believe... any chance he has a TBD? How long has he been with you in MA?

I saw a video of a dog with Rocky Mountain spotted fever who had the same swinging head movements. Doxy improved it completely, I believe... any chance he has a TBD? How long has he been with you in MA?

He has been in MA since june of 2008, racing at Raynham/Taunton. Before that he was at the woodland in KS, where he raced for 4 months after coming from FLA.

Doxy I can do. what strength and how long?

Nancy and

Grace - Andicot 2/1/07

Guest tinams8

I don't know what dosage for the doxy. Maybe run a TBD panel and see what comes up.

Here is the dog I am thinking of, if you have facebook you can see the videos of him. http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/album.php?aid=262004&id=101389461922 If the link does not work, it's the page for Illinois Birddog Rescue. He is in the photo albums and his name is Gavin DePaw. He is on page 11 of their 409 albums.

It's a long shot, but sometimes problems with the inner ear will cause dizziness and dogs will react to it by moving their head as if they are trying to get steady - sort of short jerky movements. If they are standing, it can also effect the legs as they will push out their legs in an attempt to get steady and they might start rocking back and forth.

Good Luck .. hope you find out what caused it

Edited by MaryJane

• 4 weeks later...
Guest LindsaySF

It looks like a focal seizure to me, with the head circling and bobbing. Often times the dogs can feel the movements (they might be confused, but they are aware of their surroundings), and they start wandering or walking around to try to stop the movements. It could also be vestibular though, I wouldn't rule that out.

How is Harry doing now?

~Lindsay~