Supplements Reccommended By New Vet

Guest iLoveLucie

Guest iLoveLucie

Does anyone give Welactin or Dasuquin to their Greyhound? What are the benefits?

We recently moved to a new state and have been going thru all the "fun" of finding new support our hound, Lucie. We got a reccommendation from a neighbor (non-greyhound owner, but has 2 labs) that has lead us to a great Vet. She spent about 90 minutes with us at our first visit getting to know Lucie's background/health history and asking us questions. She seemed knowledgeable enough about Greyhounds to talk to us about some topics specific to the breed (ie. weight gain, dentals, SA). She even had one of the Techs bring in a bed for Lucie to lay down on while we chatted!

She had a few reccomendations that I haven't heard before, so before I just "signed up" I wanted to do more digging... She suggested we start giving Lucie Welactin, an Omega-3 Fatty Acid Supplement for Dogs and Dasuquin, a Joint Health Supplement. She gave us some "literature" but it was from the drug companies, so I'm not 100% sold. She didn't push too hard and encouraged us to look into it without being too pushy, but I'm just wondering if they are really needed. Lucie is 3 years old and in good health.

Guest lizmego

I think it depends on the price of the products. There are so many Omega -3-6's out there and Glucosamine and Chondroitin supplements out there, that I don't know if the two that the vet recommended are worth it. From looking at the website, its not listing the mcg amounts contained, as its proprietary (how convenient), so its hard to compare to other supplements out there.

Our greyhound Dell, now 12.5 yo, has done great on the Springtime Joint Health tablets and Springtime Fresh Factors tablets, as well as Doc's Blend Hair of the Dog supplement. I shoudl add that I give 2 tablets each of Joint Health and Fresh Factors 2x per day; and Doc's Blend 3tsp 2x per day in each meal. I'd start pricing these two vet recommended supplements with these and see which is cheaper.

Good luck!

Edited by lizmego

Guest iLoveLucie

I think it depends on the price of the products. There are so many Omega -3-6's out there and Glucosamine and Chondroitin supplements out there, that I don't know if the two that the vet recommended are worth it. From looking at the website, its not listing the mcg amounts contained, as its proprietary (how convenient), so its hard to compare to other supplements out there.

Our greyhound Dell, now 12.5 yo, has done great on the Springtime Joint Health tablets and Springtime Fresh Factors tablets, as well as Doc's Blend Hair of the Dog supplement. I shoudl add that I give 2 tablets each of Joint Health and Fresh Factors 2x per day; and Doc's Blend 3tsp 2x per day in each meal. I'd start pricing these two vet recommended supplements with these and see which is cheaper.

Good luck!

Good to know - thanks! Do you think they are needed for a 3 year old? I can sort of understand once the dog gets older... I suppose I'm not understanding if this will help as a "preventative" vs. a "treatment." Have you given these to Dell for a while now or after you noticed some health changes?

I give my dog Cosequine, which is an older and cheaper form of dasaquin made by the same company--my vet said it wasn't really worth switching for all the extra expense.

I also give fish oil supplements, human grade, from cosco. I'm not familiar with Wellactin, but the pet versions I looked at were all lacking in vitamin E to stabalize them and were more expensive.

3 strikes me as a bit young to need to start the glucosamine unless there are already symptoms or if you know there are any broken bones or other injuries in Lucie's past, I waited until 5 at my vet's recommendation. But it certainly won't hurt anything if you can afford it.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest lizmego

I think the tough thing about joint supplements in a young dog, is that if you're using them then your dog shouldn't experience joint issues (arthritis, lameness, difficuluty with cold, etc) - if your dog never experiences these symptoms, is it genetics or the supplements? Like PatricksMom said, if you can afford them, I don't see the hamr in using them. I'm frugal by nature, so I'd tend to purchase the ones that were more economical, and not just go with the ones that my vet recommended. Agreed that 3 seems a bit young, unless you know your dog retired from racing due to an injury or had a broken hock.

Sorry, didn't answer your question. We started giving supplements, maybe not the specific Springtime ones, but some sort of glucosamine supplement when he was 6-7 age range. He was 5 when we adopted him.

Edited by lizmego

The Fresh Factors mentioned above are "magical" and are MUCH more than just a joint/arthritis supplement. They have done amazing things in my young dogs too. They're just plain good and I notice an overall improvement even in the young dogs I give it too. JMO

Edited by racindog

Guest momofevie

Evie is 9.5 and has been on Dasaquin for the past 5 months. I haven't noticed any difference in her, though, there wasn't really anything "wrong" to begin with. Vet tech and other grey owners simply said it couldn't hurt to start at her age. I'm curious about the alternatives other posters are mentioning.

FWIW, I agree with those who say 3 is young to start supplements unless there's a true need.

Omega fatty acids are GREAT, even for people. I'd start those, but I would NOT by the from the vet. Grizzly Salmon oil is great stuff, and you can get it from lots of places and save yourself a bundle.

They recently completed a big study on the effectiveness of glucosamine supplements on humans; let's just say the study recommends you save your money. My VET has suggested them to me despite there being very little in the way of scientific proof they actually do much. She does admit there isn't much in the way of "proof" they work.

I had my last dog on them for 18 months. He had a major orthopedic surgery followed by a bone infection followed by another surgery--so I thought I'd give them a try. While they didn't make him sick or have any negative side effects, I don't think they did him any good either.

So...you will find plenty of anecdotal evidence that they help--but not a lot of science. It's up to you. Again, no need to purchase these items from the vet. You can buy then from animal supply catalogs for a lot less.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Here's my humble opinion: I use Welactin....probably could find something cheaper, but I like it, the dogs like it,

their dandruff is gone & smooth soft silky coats.

Dasuquin: I use it, also. Right now, it's more of a support....try to postpone problems.

My bridge angel, Kenton, started having problems with hip displasia when she was 4. Would curl up in her bed & then

couldn't get up. She took Cosequin then (that's the old version of Dasuquin) and made it to 9 yo before we had to

start adding some pain meds, & then lived to 14.

So I'm a fan of both products.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Guest SueG201

I have been using Nupro Joint Supplement formula for years, my greyhound is 12,, she is as active as a puppy and I attribute it to good food and the Nupro

We've tried joint supplements and found them useless for anything except emptying the pocketbook and occasionally producing gastric distress. As someone pointed out above, the scientific evidence for any benefit is increasingly lacking. I don't use them anymore.

We have used fish oil -- Walgreen's buy one, get one free -- to improve dandruff. Hasn't done anything else for my dogs except in some cases, once again, produce diarrhea. I occasionally use it for dogs on restricted diets when the coat gets flaky; otherwise, I've found no use for it.

YMMV.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

My vet had my 15 year old non-grey on Dasuquin, I did see improvement in her mobility while on it. I'd tried Fresh Factors and Missing Link, no change on either of those. Ironically, my vet told me to try Dasuquin because it, while it is made by the makers of Cosequin, is better and cheaper in price than Cosequin.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest tricolorhounds

I'm not a big believer in supplements however my 10 1/2 yr old Savannah is on Dasuquin. It was recommended by my Vet who has her own 10 Greyhounds on it. She recommended it to me for both Savannah and Bonkers. I didn't see a lot of change in Bonks so I stopped giving it to him but still give it to Savannah as she has hind end weakness from breaking the rt rear leg 2 times and needs as much support as she can get.

I don't know of any reason to give the supplements to an otherwise healthy 3 year old dog.

3 years is pretty young for supplements in my opinion also. But whatever. Check here for OTC pets meds, great prices. Or search eBay.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

I ordered my Dasuquin from the eBay merchant GreyTzu turned me on to. No lined pockets at my vet's office. She always tells me if I can get meds and supplements cheaper through her or the internet.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Just thought of this--fish oil can cause digestive issues in some dogs, nothing dangerous but unpleasant. So if you decide to give it, start with a small amount and gradually increase it if things are going okay.

Also, at that age I'd worry more about finding a good food than supplements if doing both is a financial issue.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest xshivax

Does anyone give Welactin or Dasuquin to their Greyhound? What are the benefits?

We recently moved to a new state and have been going thru all the "fun" of finding new support our hound, Lucie. We got a reccommendation from a neighbor (non-greyhound owner, but has 2 labs) that has lead us to a great Vet. She spent about 90 minutes with us at our first visit getting to know Lucie's background/health history and asking us questions. She seemed knowledgeable enough about Greyhounds to talk to us about some topics specific to the breed (ie. weight gain, dentals, SA). She even had one of the Techs bring in a bed for Lucie to lay down on while we chatted!

She had a few reccomendations that I haven't heard before, so before I just "signed up" I wanted to do more digging... She suggested we start giving Lucie Welactin, an Omega-3 Fatty Acid Supplement for Dogs and Dasuquin, a Joint Health Supplement. She gave us some "literature" but it was from the drug companies, so I'm not 100% sold. She didn't push too hard and encouraged us to look into it without being too pushy, but I'm just wondering if they are really needed. Lucie is 3 years old and in good health.

The supplement I give my dogs for their coats is greyt. I have been giving it to my dogs for about 2 years now. My boys have shiny coats and don't shed a lot. it is called Omegaderm-3. You can buy it from the manufacturer or via Amazon. No fishy smell at all with this product. I just squirt it on their food with each meal.

http://www.revivalanimal.com/store/p/2689-Omegaderm-3.aspx

Edited by xshivax

Guest iLoveLucie

Thanks everyone! Since Lucie has never had a broken bones and shows no signs of stiffness/soreness we will pass on the joint supplements for now, but re-consider when she is older... and will shop around to find the cost effective solution.

Still thinking about the Omega-3... for the most part her coat/skin is fine now, although this winter I've noticed a little more shedding/dandruff - just assumed that was from the changes in weather. And again I will check into all options to find the right price!