Beth Is Vomiting

Guest SoulsMom

What a horrible few days for you both :( I HATE the I/D too, but it is the ONLY thing that keeps Soul from pooping blood. I've tried so many times to switch him off of it, (even a home cooked recipe from Angell Memorial) and every time he goes back to Big D with blood. Hope you both get some rest and relief soon.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad you're getting to the bottom of this. Beth will be just fine :)

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I don't know if you were on the boards when my Beau who was only 4 at the time starting having acute intestional issues. It lasted from late October until we did the open exploratory surgery in late Jan. 09. He went from 65 pounds (small male) to 52.4 pounds and let me tell you, I WAS SCARED OUT OF MIND. (it was also at this time, that his momma Polli had undergone amputation due to osteo and a fracture.

It started with the not wanting to eat breakfast, gurgly tummy so loud that I would be awaken from it, and I could hear it a room away. Poops were liquid. On a good day, it was pudding.

We spent double digits trying to figure out what was wrong and as a final, last resort, opted for the surgery. We were going to lose him otherwise. It was a heart and gut wrenching decision. His recovery time from this was horrible. It was slow and he was so weak from the not eating. In addition his incision was slow to heal from the pred. It was a horrible time in our lives.

For Beau, it wound up being severe IBD. He was put on a very high dose of pred (60, but 40 to start) and then he started on imuran - which 3 weeks after surgery finally stimulated his appetite.

These intestional issues can be so frustrating to deal with. If you are not going in the right direction, I would definitely look into a board certified vet who specializes in gastro issues. That's usually an internal med vet. They are usually in the specialty clinics.

Beau is on a limited diet and for an entire year he ate NOTHING but z/d dry, wet and broiled tilapia. His treats were z/d cookies and I bought a dehydrator and made 10 pounds of dried tilapia every week for him. He can never had the things he had prior to his getting sick as that could make him flare all over again, but his diet has increased a lot since then, just very limited.

Continued prayers for your baby girl.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Oh, yes, I ignore the ingredients, too, but I can add my voice to those that can testify to the fact that ID works! Don't know why and for those times that I have really needed, I really didn't care how, but it worked. Can't remember if Pepcid is being administered or not. That's another "go to" for a gurgling tummy, regardless of the cause. Sure hope Beth gets a break soon and you, too! Sending more prayers and healing white light.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Things seem to be looking up . . . she certainly eats the I/D enthusiastically, and she isn't showing any signs of stomach upset. No poop at all yet, but that's totally unsurprising after two days of fasting. If what comes out tomorrow isn't too awful I'll ease up on the worrying. She seems to be feeling better -- clearly very hungry and wanted to eat a lot more than I was allowed to give her per the vet's instructions (but I'm going to boost the amount tomorrow). And on our late afternoon walk she did her familiar behavior of jumping around and begging for treats. :rolleyes:

So again, I think the D was just pooping out excess liquid from the fluids, not having continuing "real" D. Geez.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Glad she seems to be feeling better! :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

We have solid poop this morning! :yay So I think we're over the problem. I'm impressed how well the I/D has gone through her. I'm going to increase the amount of it I'm feeding her sooner than the vet suggested as she's clearly hungry -- I'll still stick with four smaller feedings today, though, and maybe three tomorrow. And she'll be on the metronidazole for another week.

Wonderful!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

:yay Hooray for good poop!!!!! :yay I'm so glad Beth is clearly feeling better. Hoping D it's done, gone, over with.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.

So glad to hear Beth's doing better! :clap:grouphug

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Things continue fine . . . another decent poop this afternoon (not quite as firm as the morning, but it never is). I took Beth on a short trail walk as we hadn't been away from the immediate neighborhood (except to the vet) since last Wednesday and I don't want her to get bored though I think she should wait a few more days to run. She's not happy with the cold and the coating of snow we have . . . guess it's time to break out the Pawz boots!

Guest Energy11

I am happy for the continuing good news :-))

We are FINALLY cold here, too, and my babies said ... "What the Heck...?" when I tried to get them out earlier!

They may wear their coats to bed tonight! Me? I love this stuff!

We send our love to you and Beth! Good news makes us smile! :colgate

Finally got the results of Beth's stool culture this morning (after my vet was out yesterday afternoon and the other vet wouldn't give them to me, and I spent the night freaked out with anxiety!). He said it showed E. coli, enterococcus, and enterobacter, but that these are normal to find in dog stool and don't indicate a problem -- so he suspects her GI issues were probably viral, and said he's been seeing a lot of that in the past few weeks. (Would have been nice if he'd mentioned that last week when he was trying to scare me straight off of feeding her raw sometimes! :angry: )

Anyway, Beth seems to be recovering very well now -- nothing is coming out of her that shouldn't be coming out and she's eating enthusiastically and behaving normally. Today I'm starting to add some of her regular food back in with the I/D, and hopefully that will be a smooth transition.

Edited by PrairieProf

Wonderful news!

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross